The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 07-23-2019, 06:53 PM   #61
stcardinal
Foot Soldier

Junk. I was really hoping they'd make classic TMNT similar to what Mattel is doing with MOTU. Classic designs but with modern articulation.
stcardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:32 PM   #62
Powder
So tired of this place

They are, the line just isn't ready to reveal yet.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #63
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Carded versions of these will be coming in the fall, and they've got many more figures planned*. I'm curious to see who else is made and how they translate to this style. Casey, Shredder, and Foot should look pretty good but I'm not sure how well mutants will work. Either way I'll keep an eye on the line and see what happens.

*(from the Pixel Dan interview at the Super7 booth).
I don’t like the fat heads on the Reaction figures for the turtles, but I wonder how long this ReAction line will go on for. An April in this scale could work. Not to mention, Super 7 could produce a lot of ReAction Shredder variants. We could get the ‘88 Shredder, ‘88 Archie Shredder, ‘89 Topps sticker Shredder, and ‘93 Toon Shredder. The same goes for April and Slash. Also, a boxset of undercover versions of the turtles based off of the 1990 Undercover Donatello mold and punk frogs modeled after the ‘89 Genghis Frog mold.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #64
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcardinal View Post
Junk. I was really hoping they'd make classic TMNT similar to what Mattel is doing with MOTU. Classic designs but with modern articulation.
They are, here you go

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...=61758&page=15
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:37 PM   #65
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcardinal View Post
The ‘88 Playmates TMNT line was a more inventive toy line than MOTU. The original Playmates toy line was basically one whole spoof of the ‘82 Mattel MOTU line (especially the fourth and fifth wave with Muckman and Mutagen Man).MOTU lends itself more to a Mattel Classics and Super 7 Ultimates line than TMNT does. I can’t wait to see more of what Super 7 does with TMNT from this year into the 2020s. I’ll be surprised if Super 7 covers the 1992 to 1997 stuff for TMNT. Mattel’s 1982 MOTU line was highly collectible from beginning to end. It wasn’t like that for the Turtles. The best of the original Playmates line was in 1988 and some of early 1989 (Jokes, Gags, and Crazy Weapons, Party Wagon, and Krang). I don’t see the Super 7 TMNT Ultimates or ReActions going on for as long as the Mattel MOTU Classics, Ultimate MOTU figures, and MOTU ReActions.

Last edited by mikey0; 09-11-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #66
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The ‘88 Playmates TMNT line was a more inventive toy line than MOTU. The original Playmates toy line was basically one whole spoof of the ‘82 Mattel MOTU line (especially the fourth and fifth wave with Muckman and Mutagen Man).MOTU lends itself more to a Mattel Classics and Super 7 Ultimates line than TMNT does. I can’t wait to see more of what Super 7 does with TMNT from this year into the 2020s. I’ll be surprised if Super 7 covers the 1992 to 1997 stuff for TMNT. Mattel’s 1982 MOTU line was highly collectible from beginning to end. It wasn’t like that for the Turtles. The best of the original Playmates line was in 1988 and some of early 1989 (Jokes, Gags, and Crazy Weapons, Party Wagon, and Krang). I don’t see the Super 7 TMNT Ultimates or ReActions going on for as long as the Mattel MOTU Classics, Ultimate MOTU figures, and MOTU ReActions.
What?! 1990 was incredible.

Wingnut & Screwloose
Muckman & Joe Eyeball
Slash
Ray Fillet
Triceraton
Pizzaface
Panda Khan
Fugitoid
Mutagen Man
Mondo Gecko
Napoleon Bonafrog
Scumbug
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #67
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
What?! 1990 was incredible.

Wingnut & Screwloose
Muckman & Joe Eyeball
Slash
Ray Fillet
Triceraton
Pizzaface
Panda Khan
Fugitoid
Mutagen Man
Mondo Gecko
Napoleon Bonafrog
Scumbug
1990 was incredible for TMNT action figure variant collectors, but not as many characters from the 4th and 5th wave stand out to historians, black market sellers, and comic book fans.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #68
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

the more I think about these items the more I think id like to make the purchase based off box art alone
Old 09-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #69
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
the more I think about these items the more I think id like to make the purchase based off box art alone
If the box art for the TMNT ReAction figures is anything like that of the MOTU ReAction box art, I’ll be curious to see them, myself. Mid ‘80s Mirage Comic inspired art [like the one used for 1988 first wave Turtles card backers] for the TMMT ReAction packages would be even better for these. Super 7 already used bricks for the advertising of the SDCC 2019 Exclusive SUPER7 Reaction TMNT Pizza Box Set, so I know bricks will be on the outside border for the ReAction figure cards.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #70
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
Here ya go:

Last edited by Lordmylar06; 09-18-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #71
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordmylar06 View Post
Foot Clan colors (outline and bricks) for a Turtles good guy card? I’m sorry, but that’s horrendous. We’ll see how these do…

NECA and Super 7 need to listen to fans more like Coro was saying in the other thread about re-releasing the rarer figures of the original Playmates toy line.

There’s not enough appreciation for the 1988 TMNT toy line from toy companies today for something like this to happen. Everything Turtles was best left in the year 1990. The TMNT magnets, keychains, and watches from HOPE Industries in the early 90s held my interest a lot longer than the image you posted.

Last edited by mikey0; 09-18-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #72
TurtlePower85
Random Punk

I really like how this looks, I really like what Super7 is doing and will support them with my dollars.
TurtlePower85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #73
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtlePower85 View Post
I really like how this looks, I really like what Super7 is doing and will support them with my dollars.
I like that the symbols and the back of the card colors from the original Playmates toy line are used for the cards, but that’s it. I think many toy companies today miss that the Mirage Comics characters were spoofs of the super heroes and villains from before 1983. I feel like Super 7 is trying to make a 1977 Kenner Star Wars line out of the 1988 TMNT toy line. The Turtles do not have the following of the big four (Star Wars, G1 Transformers,GI Joe ARAH, and MOTU). The humor of the original Playmates toy line (that made it unique) appears to be missing from both the ReAction and Ultimate figures.

Playmates really catered to two different generations with the first TMNT toy line (children of the 80s and children of the 90s). I’m not sure if the 1988 Playmates toy line lends itself to this kind of treatment from modern toy companies. I feel like Super 7, Kid Robot, and Loyal Subjects missed the point behind the first ever TMNT action figure line. The humor, colors, costumes, and 30 minute cartoon toy advertisements are what drove the original Playmates toy line (especially the humor). They’re TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES for crying out loud. That title alone should bring a laugh to everyone's faces.

Last edited by mikey0; 09-18-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #74
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Foot Clan colors (outline and bricks) for a Turtles good guy card? I’m sorry, but that’s horrendous.
I agree. This doesn't have those vintage vibes I was expecting. I hope they will do better with the main line.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #75
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I agree. This doesn't have those vintage vibes I was expecting. I hope they will do better with the main line.
The ReAction line is a cash grab for sure. Super 7 drained everything that made the original toy line work. The 1988 Leonardo was the best turtle figure out of them all because it literally looked as if an actual turtle was wearing a bandana over its eyes. The humor from the first ever TMNT toy line looks to be gone with the ReAction and Ultimate figures. I would have just made a vintage TMNT line if I was a part of the Super 7 team. A 5 inch Super 7 Vintage TMNT Scratch made to look like the 1993 original could sell for booko bucks at a convention, online, and brick and mortar store. Making a MOTU Vintage He-Ro on a card similar to the first The Powers of Grayskull card was a genius move.

The original Playmates toy line does not translate well to 4 and 7 inch action figures. Part of their appeal in the 80s and 90s were the leg mold spoofs of the MOTU legs and extremely constipated look on figures like the 1988 Donatello.

I think the Ultimate figures will outsell the ReActions, but at the height and price point for the ReActions, Super 7 can do more. There is a wide range of possibilities for the TMNT ReAction line. You could get a Punk Frogs 4 pack, rare figures from the original ‘88 toy line, two Mutanimals sets, the unreleased Sam Awry mail away Hostess TMNT Pudding Pies figure, and the wacky standoff villains from the TMNT Magazine comics among other things. There could even be a Pizza Points figure or something like that.

Last edited by mikey0; 09-18-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #76
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I feel like Super 7 is trying to make a 1977 Kenner Star Wars line out of the 1988 TMNT toy line.
Duh? That's exactly what they are doing (not trying to do).

Do you realize that this began with Funko's ReAction line (partnered with Super7), before the baton was taken up fully by Super7? (Funko still releases similarly scaled figures but no longer calls them ReAction.) Do you not notice how ReAction is written in a similar font & color scheme to Kenner?

The entire point was packaging AND figures that threw back to Kenner Star Wars. But to do so for as many franchises/fandoms as possible, as Funko does with everything.

So yes, this figure line is being made so you can have some turtles to match stylistically and scale-wise with your Star Wars, Big Trouble in Little China, Gremlins, Back to the Future, Firefly, Freddy, Pinhead, etc, etc.

So if you aren't into those then that's great but give the criticism a rest, yeesh, it is obvious what the market for this product is and they wouldn't be making them anymore if they didn't sell. Some people are into those. They all are lacking in detail and oddly proportioned because that is exactly how they want them to be so they look throwbacky.

I do wish they were a little cheaper. Not sure what is up with the "Super7 Tax" on all their merchandise as compared with their contemporaries. But I'll be buying them because I'm a TMNT fan and I do have other ReAction figures despite not being "all in" on it.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #77
mikey0
Foot Elite

—————Please ignore this message, DonnieLaForge.————

The point I was trying to make was that the original TMNT toy line was in its own category from the Kenner Star Wars and unreleased Aliens 4 inch lines.

I think Super 7 should focus more on characters that were not in the toy line for the ReAction TMNT line, because the Ultimate TMNT figures will make up for the details they missed with the ReAction line.

Sadly, both ReAction and Ultimate figures seem to lack the humor and fun factor that made the first 5 inch toy line so great. These aren’t the Turtles characters that Super 7 is basing them off. The idea behind the original Playmates line seems to be missed entirely by all of these modern toy companies.

Some characters will be fine in ReAction form like Usagi, Panda Khan, and Fugitoid, but you won’t laugh after looking at them the way you did the originals. Playmates did a wonderful job with each one of those characters in the 80s and 90s. There will never be another TMNT toy line to casual toy buyers like the original TMNT line. The charm behind the ‘88 line is sorely missed by 20th century toy collectors everywhere.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #78
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
Duh? That's exactly what they are doing (not trying to do).

TMNT fan and I do have other ReAction figures despite not being "all in" on it.
I'm actually more likely to buy these figures than I am to buy their "Playmates Redux" line, which I think is a complete waste of resource and collection space.

Playmates already re-upped their line when they released their highly articulated "animated turtles" that never lasted more than two waves. And those were truly great figures in that regard. But what they didn't do was accomplish the "animated look".

Super7's new line is nothing more than a "What if Playmates released their original collection by today's articulation standards".

I'll stick with NECA for my Fred Wolf TMNT, but at least these ReAction mini's have a unique retro flavor and can sit with my Fifth Element and Fight Club figures nicely!
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #79
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I'm actually more likely to buy these figures than I am to buy their "Playmates Redux" line, which I think is a complete waste of resource and collection space.

Playmates already re-upped their line when they released their highly articulated "animated turtles" that never lasted more than two waves. And those were truly great figures in that regard. But what they didn't do was accomplish the "animated look".

Super7's new line is nothing more than a "What if Playmates released their original collection by today's articulation standards".

I'll stick with NECA for my Fred Wolf TMNT, but at least these ReAction mini's have a unique retro flavor and can sit with my Fifth Element and Fight Club figures nicely!
The colors of the back of the card from the stock image of Raph seems like a nice throwback for the ‘88 line collectors, but the realistic element to the backdrop for the front of the card is different from what I expected for these. Not sure why Super 7 is using the Turtles and Foot symbols for these. What brick colors and outline for the logo will be used for the Foot characters? The same colors? Super 7 should scrap the picture box for their ReAction TMNT figures all together. The ‘88 Playmates line was not really that kind of toy line.

The original TMNT toyline cards made the greatest promotional use of the art from the early days of the Mirage Comics comic book (especially Shredder).

TMNT, G1 Transformers, Pee Wee’s Playhouse does not lend itself to ReAction movie figure card treatment like even the MOTU figures do.

The first wave of the 1988 Playmates line was a spoof of the 1982 Mattel MOTU line with almost all of the grossness of the Amtoys MadBalls line and the humor of the Mirage Comics TMNT comic book. That fact seems to have gone over the heads of the Super 7 team.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #80
Ninjinister
無問題

Pre-orders but no pics yet
April: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/104347
Baxter: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/104360
Splinter: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/104356
Space Cadet Raph: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/104350
Undercover Don: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/104353
Krang: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/104363

Question is: who's high enough to pay $17.99 for these?

Last edited by Ninjinister; 10-13-2019 at 03:35 AM.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote