The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 03-24-2020, 02:15 AM   #1
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Your favourite TMNT game?

I know that there is not too much people who followed or atleast tried the TMNT videogames, but I'm curious anyway.
I'm a big fan of the Ps2 versions and some of the Arcade games (TMNT 2 Battle Nexus, TMNT 3 Mutant Nightmare, TMNT Turtles in Time, TMNT Manhattam Project).
If you have never played anyone of them, you didn't miss anything special tho. They are simple beat em ups usually in co-op.

But I think that the best thing of these games is, in fact, the cooperativity and the simple yet fun gameplay. Sometimes it's even the level of challenge some of them gives you!
What about you guys? There is atleast one game that you liked?

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
Panther10
Hench Mutant

Out of the Shadows is usually fun. I could play all three gameplay modes for hours on end. And the classic games all the way from the TMNT arcade, turtles in time, the 2k3 games and TMNT (2k7) were always fun
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
pferreira
Foot Elite

The Snes version of Turtles in Time.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther10 View Post
Out of the Shadows is usually fun. I could play all three gameplay modes for hours on end. And the classic games all the way from the TMNT arcade, turtles in time, the 2k3 games and TMNT (2k7) were always fun
Wow, a connoisseur I see!
The arcade games were pretty neat, but easily repetitive. The NES games were pretty fun! Like playing Castlevania with the TMNT (even tho Castelvania was a little easier in some parts). The 2003 Ps2 games were gold! Except for the first, downright boring and really repetitive. The other two had atleast some platforming, more combos, interesting bosses etc. Mutant Melee was good, but the characters choice was... eugh?

Sadly, the only 2007 TMNT game I played is Mutant Melee, which is a GREAT fighting game! Even tho the Ps2 version lacked of some special characters and online multyplayer.
Out of the Shadows is the only one I've never played, for the simple reason that didn't have local co-op (I used to play the TMNT games with my brother). I'm just abit afraid that I might have lost a nice game.

VICTORY!"
Old 03-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #5
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
The Snes version of Turtles in Time.
I like Turtles in Time too, but I slightly prefer the Ps2 porting on TMNT 3 Mutant Nightmare, just because it has a great OST.
Other than that, Arcade, Ps2 or Snes are all kinda the same so it's still a good game.

VICTORY!"
Old 03-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
frank_one
Mad Scientist

My all-time favourite is Turtles 3: Radical rescue for the original Game boy. A tmnt metroidvania, nothing can top that.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #7
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
My all-time favourite is Turtles 3: Radical rescue for the original Game boy. A tmnt metroidvania, nothing can top that.
Never seen it.
Mind if I...

*downloads emulator*

VICTORY!"
Old 03-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #8
Icebot
Foot Elite

My favorites of all time are TMNT 2003 for game boy advance and TMNT 2 Battle Nexus for GameCube.

I also like the NES games TMNT 1 and 2 and I like the Beatles song Come Together because of the 5th stage in the first game. I also like TMNT 3 Mutant Nightmare on all systems and TMNT 2007 on game boy advance.

I like the SNES game Turtles in Time and I really like the Neon Night Riders stage due to the fact that we’re in 2020.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:14 AM   #9
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
My favorites of all time are TMNT 2003 for game boy advance and TMNT 2 Battle Nexus for GameCube.

I also like the NES games TMNT 1 and 2 and I like the Beatles song Come Together because of the 5th stage in the first game. I also like TMNT 3 Mutant Nightmare on all systems and TMNT 2007 on game boy advance.

I like the SNES game Turtles in Time and I really like the Neon Night Riders stage due to the fact that we’re in 2020.
Battle Nexus is still on my desktop, since I like to play it sometimes on my PC! Even tho the best memories and saves are on the Ps2 original disk. I'd like to buy TMNT 3 Mutant Nightmare for PC but it's soooo hard to find in good conditions on Ebay!

By the way, Icebot, the best thing of the 2003 trilogy is their OST. I loved how they "recycled" the show themes and adapted them for some of the game's!
And these things...

VICTORY!"
Old 03-31-2020, 09:11 AM   #10
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
Battle Nexus is a means of torture (shudders).
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:24 AM   #11
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Battle Nexus is a means of torture (shudders).
If you mean "I'll take them all". I feel ya.

VICTORY!"
Old 04-01-2020, 12:47 AM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

Hmm. I'd have a tough time picking a favorite, but I think Battle Nexus would be in last place, for sure. I liked the first and third game in that series just fine, but I don't have as fond memories of the second one. For one thing, some of the levels were designed so that it made more sense to avoid enemies and race to the end of the level, and that's just not a good way to do a "beat-'em-up" type of game. For another thing, and this is a personal problem but it doesn't help my opinion towards the game, my copy is glitched and impossible to finish, apparently, so eventually I just put it aside and never went back to it.

In advance of anyone asking, the Hun fight on my copy is glitched. Instead of going back and forth between being invincible and not, once he gets down to very low health, he just stays red and invincible permanently. Last time I bothered to play it, I managed to drag the fight out for over 15 minutes, most of which was trying (and failing) to get that last sliver of health off. Pretty sure, based on everything I've read, that's not supposed to happen. And I haven't been inclined to try and pick up another copy because frankly I didn't think it was that great to start with. Maybe if I find one super cheap one day.

I would not say that it's necessarily a bad game - I've almost never heard of the glitch happening to anyone else, so I assume it's super-rare and I just got "lucky" - but I think it needed work. But between the glitch and the level design, it was the least fun I've had with any TMNT game, easily.

Second worst would probably be Smash-Up, just because there's only like an hour of gameplay to it and very little replay value. Again, not "bad", but it barely felt like a complete game, and that's a shame.

Mutant Melee didn't thrill me much, but I didn't play it a whole lot. Just didn't grab me for some reason.

As far as "best", I really couldn't pick one (thus why it's easier for me to pick out the lower-tier, first; generally, most of the TMNT games I've played have been pretty good, which is why the ones that are sub-par stand out from the pack). Most peoples' default answer is "Turtles In Time", and I kind of agree - no TMNT game has probably given me MORE hours of pure fun, pound-for-pound - but at the same time... it's a 25-minute game, even on Hard. It'll probably always be my sentimental favorite, but is it really "The Best"? I don't know. There's nothing wrong with what there is, but there definitely could be a lot more of it.

Someone could certainly make a strong case for the SNES version of Tournament Fighters. It's definitely one of the best SFII clones, of which there were many. I can only assume that it doesn't get more love because a lot of TMNT fans aren't necessarily fans of fighting games. It's also notoriously cheap on higher difficulty setting, but still beatable. But the graphics, sounds, roster, music and gameplay are all superb. It's not perfect but it's arguably the closest any TMNT game got for what it was trying to be. AND, it'll keep you busy for more than 25 minutes. So there's that.

At the time it came out, I would have said the first game based on the 2K/4Kids cartoon was easily the best TMNT game all-around. I still kind of feel that way. There's quite a lot about it that isn't great, but as 3D beat-'em-ups go it's not bad at all, and I still prefer it over either of its sequels, although I liked a lot of the new ideas they came up with for those. I just feel like the first one was the most balanced overall. And beating the game with each of the Turtles to unlock the final level and get the real ending is something that we all take for granted now, but was a pretty big deal in 2003 and unprecedented for a TMNT game. Again, I don't know if it's still that high on my list because I haven't played it in a while, but objectively I still think it's one of the best they've done.

Frankly, I kinda think both "Out of the Shadows" and "Mutants In Manhattan" deserve to be in the conversation more than they generally are. No, they're not perfect, but they definitely provide more gameplay than a lot of the other games people often mention, and I feel like they're more the victim of peoples' expectations for them, rather than anything they fail at doing specifically. I, personally, didn't encounter any bugs or glitches in my copy of OOTS, and many peoples' complaints were based on that more than anything. I had a good time with it. Not really sure what people's issue was with MiM, but those 5 and 6 out of 10 review scores are a joke. Granted, it does play a lot better once you put a few hours into it and start unlocking new abilities, attacks, etc; I'd hazard a guess that most people simply didn't do that and dismissed it as a shallow and pointless game. The worst thing I can say about it, is that it suffers from the same flaws as every beat-'em-up: "Mash X to win". No, it doesn't push the genre forward in any way, but I don't know why anyone expected that. Not everything is gonna be "Arkham", and you can't just blast a game for not living up to that standard.

If I HAD to pick a "favorite", though... right now, it would probably be Mutants In Manhattan, honestly. I really like the gameplay, the randomization of challenges during the levels, the level-up system of special abilities, the ability to mix-and-match those special abilities, the way you can switch between Turtles on the fly (pretty essential on higher difficulties), the Secret Bosses... there's really not much I don't like about it, and I find most of the criticisms rather nitpicky. It's not a particularly long game to beat, but will take many hours to unlock everything and level-up all the Special attacks. Based on that, along with the fact that it came out at a more mid-range price point, it definitely gives a lot of hours of gameplay for a "budget" title. There's really not much "wrong" with it, and they give you a lot, so I really can't complain.

I know a lot of people were disappointed with not having any local co-op for that game, and I guess I kind of agree, but I mostly play solo, anyway. I will say that the game's camera, while not bad, isn't great, and I feel like co-cop really would have been a problem with that game's engine. So while I agree it's a flaw, it doesn't hurt the game for me, personally. The only other thing I would change, is a way to choose to play the Secret Boss versions of a level, once you've beaten it already. As it is, whether you get a Secret Boss is apparently mostly-random (based partly on your score, but not entirely); I would like to play against those Secret Bosses more often, and would probably choose to play them every time, honestly. I'm pretty disappointed when I have an awesome run-through on a level but don't get a Secret Boss fight, so I wish that they could be "unlocked" and selectable once you've already beaten them once, rather than random chance.

So yeah, I rank MiM, Turtles In Time, OOTS and the first 4Kids game all pretty highly, with an Honorable Mention for Tournament Fighters. Any of those could objectively be "the best" for different reasons, and I'd probably call whichever of them I played most recently my favorite. Although it's always gonna bother me how short Turtles In Time is. Pretty unforgivable, really. Although given the fact that developers wouldn't really "master" the trick of porting arcade games to home consoles until the late-90s, it's a small miracle the SNES version turned out as good as it did. They didn't add a ton, but at least they did in fact add stuff.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:03 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Deja vu, as I feel I've posted in many threads about this. But TMNT 1 on NES. It was "Vice Project Doom" for NES before that was even a thing (anyone remember that? the whole "3 games in 1" thing?). Incredibly original, surprisingly large scale (there is top down, side scrolling, drive the Turtle Van and run over Foot Soldiers, swimming stages, you can pick your Turtle). It's not a perfect game as it's probably harder than it needed to be (I only finally beat it in like 2001 after I had it on an emulator that enabled me to constantly save and reload to certain points), but you have to respect what it tried to do. It copied no formulas and just tried to be a straight up great, original TMNT game.

As opposed to the 5 or 6 Final Fight clones that would follow, ending the bunch with a literal Street Fighter clone. But I can't fault Tournament Fighters as that was at least trying something new after everything that had come before it.

Can't speak to anything that came after that as I haven't played anything. Maybe there's good stuff, I have no clue.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:24 AM   #14
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656
For another thing, and this is a personal problem but it doesn't help my opinion towards the game, my copy is glitched and impossible to finish, apparently, so eventually I just put it aside and never went back to it.

In advance of anyone asking, the Hun fight on my copy is glitched. Instead of going back and forth between being invincible and not, once he gets down to very low health, he just stays red and invincible permanently. Last time I bothered to play it, I managed to drag the fight out for over 15 minutes, most of which was trying (and failing) to get that last sliver of health off. Pretty sure, based on everything I've read, that's not supposed to happen. And I haven't been inclined to try and pick up another copy because frankly I didn't think it was that great to start with. Maybe if I find one super cheap one day.
What the hell. Call an exorcist!
Jokes apart, the only "BUG" I've encountered so far in over a 1000 hours total, is when you are fighting against Feudal Japan Shredder. Normally, you can break the barriers around the arena to reach a secret item (Antique) but you can also use the enourmous hole that surrounds the level to one shot Shredder if you manage to push him down there. But I think it's intentional, not a real bug.

Quote:
For one thing, some of the levels were designed so that it made more sense to avoid enemies and race to the end of the level, and that's just not a good way to do a "beat-'em-up" type of game.
I think that is a good thing. As you later said some TMNT fans are not necessarly fans of beat em' up games, so I find pretty good the possibility to rush to the end of the level without fighting anyone. From my personal experience, when I was younger, I used to skip some parts of the game, just because I didn't want to fight the enemies and risk to loose.
Yes, it kinda ruins the sense of beat em' up, but I think is well thought.

Quote:
Second worst would probably be Smash-Up, just because there's only like an hour of gameplay to it and very little replay value. Again, not "bad", but it barely felt like a complete game, and that's a shame.

Mutant Melee didn't thrill me much, but I didn't play it a whole lot. Just didn't grab me for some reason.
Can't blame you, those games are MADE to be played with someone. I used to play the TMNT games with my older brother, that's why I almost enjoyed them all.

Quote:
At the time it came out, I would have said the first game based on the 2K/4Kids cartoon was easily the best TMNT game all-around. I still kind of feel that way. There's quite a lot about it that isn't great, but as 3D beat-'em-ups go it's not bad at all, and I still prefer it over either of its sequels, although I liked a lot of the new ideas they came up with for those. I just feel like the first one was the most balanced overall. And beating the game with each of the Turtles to unlock the final level and get the real ending is something that we all take for granted now, but was a pretty big deal in 2003 and unprecedented for a TMNT game. Again, I don't know if it's still that high on my list because I haven't played it in a while, but objectively I still think it's one of the best they've done.
I played it recently, and it was a punch in the stomach. Not because it was not good, but because it was downright boring. The levels were too long, and too repetitive. The bosses maybe were ok, but for me it was really difficult to finish, just because you loose the will to continue. The only thing I really liked, was the 1 vs 1 mode, a thing that never came back into the various 2003 games.

Quote:
If I HAD to pick a "favorite", though... right now, it would probably be Mutants In Manhattan, honestly. I really like the gameplay, the randomization of challenges during the levels, the level-up system of special abilities, the ability to mix-and-match those special abilities, the way you can switch between Turtles on the fly (pretty essential on higher difficulties), the Secret Bosses... there's really not much I don't like about it, and I find most of the criticisms rather nitpicky. It's not a particularly long game to beat, but will take many hours to unlock everything and level-up all the Special attacks. Based on that, along with the fact that it came out at a more mid-range price point, it definitely gives a lot of hours of gameplay for a "budget" title. There's really not much "wrong" with it, and they give you a lot, so I really can't complain.
Sadly, I've never played it...
We never had a good internet connection, so playing co-op online was... probably impossible.
Also, as you mentioned, I never played it due to the fact it didn't have local co-op feature.
I should really try it.

VICTORY!"
Old 04-01-2020, 01:26 AM   #15
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Deja vu, as I feel I've posted in many threads about this. But TMNT 1 on NES. It was "Vice Project Doom" for NES before that was even a thing (anyone remember that? the whole "3 games in 1" thing?). Incredibly original, surprisingly large scale (there is top down, side scrolling, drive the Turtle Van and run over Foot Soldiers, swimming stages, you can pick your Turtle). It's not a perfect game as it's probably harder than it needed to be (I only finally beat it in like 2001 after I had it on an emulator that enabled me to constantly save and reload to certain points), but you have to respect what it tried to do. It copied no formulas and just tried to be a straight up great, original TMNT game.

As opposed to the 5 or 6 Final Fight clones that would follow, ending the bunch with a literal Street Fighter clone. But I can't fault Tournament Fighters as that was at least trying something new after everything that had come before it.

Can't speak to anything that came after that as I haven't played anything. Maybe there's good stuff, I have no clue.
Sorry!
I'm kinda new to the forum, that's why I may open threads similar to the older ones.
It's just a way for me to know how things are going now.

VICTORY!"
Old 04-01-2020, 01:29 AM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

We've definitely had this conversation before, Andrew.

Also, "Probably" harder than it needed to be?

That's the biggest factor against that game, and why the follow-up games did so much better at satisfying the audience. The first game could be as "original" and whatever as it wanted, but it was absolutely, positively NOT the video game the franchise required at the time it was released, which was why the arcade game got such an overwhelmingly positive response and was ported to the NES so quickly. It was a very blatant "We're Sorry, you guys" after the first game. Credit to Konami for actually paying attention and being willing to give people what they wanted. Yeah, the sequels weren't very groundbreaking, BUT, it's what people wanted. They'd have been stupid to do anything else. It's a business. Supply and Demand.

There weren't even a ton of genres to choose from back in 1989-1994, anyway, especially for licensed games. "Genre-mixing" wasn't a thing yet, you were pretty much locked in. You could have a beat-'em-up, a platformer, a fighting game, a top-down shooter, a scrolling shooter, or a turn-based RPG, and that's it. Anything else was a sports game. Given that, I'm hard-pressed to determine exactly what they could have done for a TMNT game during that time period that wasn't "Final Fight clone". That was the only existing gameplay style that made any SENSE for the property. Turn-based RPG? I'd play it now, but maybe not back then, and I promise you it wouldn't have worked. They did the absolute best they could, "original" or not. If someone in 1991 WAS inclined to "break the mold" and mash some genres together, they certainly wouldn't try it with an expensive license like TMNT.

I do give the first NES game credit for what it was - or rather, what it tried to do - but I think the fact that most people have the same story about it speaks volumes. "I beat it, finally... using Save states/cheat codes/etc." Kinda tells the tale, doesn't it? Every kid I knew had that game back in the day, but most of them only played it in short bursts and then put it back in the closet. It needed to be a completely different game than what it was, because what it was simply was not satisfying to the larger audience. Not a "bad" game - it mostly works, and the music is good - but it's just blatantly, infuriatingly unfair most of the time. And I as a rule don't love any game where you can feasibly waste entire hours of time (and all of your characters) going through levels which are in no way getting you any closer to the end of the game, but are instead only there to trick and kill you.

That's really my biggest problem; not even the general difficulty, but the fact that most of the game is just a maze designed to waste your time and make you lose all your Turtles, who are a big pain in the ass to recover. Without a guide, it's borderline unplayable after the first few levels, and that's just ridiculous. This was ostensibly a kids' game; there was no reason to be so cheap and unfair. The game still takes plenty of time and effort to beat even when you know exactly what you're doing and where to go, so there was no reason to "pad" it with all the rooms that are only there to kill you. As it is, you can conceivably get to a point where it's like, "Dammit, I can't go any farther past this point, because I need the Rope," so you have to backtrack aaaaalllll the way to where the Rope might be, probably dying at least once on the way there and back... requiring a side-quest to go try and rescue them, hoping you don't lose someone ELSE on the way there... it's needlessly complicated, and a chore.

I don't HATE it, but... middle of the pack, for me, towards the bottom. I'm never gonna beat it, I know that, so I don't even really mess with it anymore. I give it all the credit in the world for its ambition, and there's definitely fun to be had, but I only really like the first few levels, and I think their ambition was more than their ability to execute.

One of the Nick games was very, very similar. "Danger of the Ooze", I think. Not too bad, felt mostly like a "proper" execution of what the first NES game tried to be, with a lot of the frustration neutralized. It's fine, and it shows how a lot of those same ideas could work out well with better execution. It's just not altogether a very memorable experience. But I do recommend it, especially for those who like the NES original. It's not "the same", but once you play it you'll see and feel the similarities.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:50 AM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ray View Post
What the hell. Call an exorcist!
Jokes apart, the only "BUG" I've encountered so far in over a 1000 hours total, is when you are fighting against Feudal Japan Shredder. Normally, you can break the barriers around the arena to reach a secret item (Antique) but you can also use the enourmous hole that surrounds the level to one shot Shredder if you manage to push him down there. But I think it's intentional, not a real bug.

I think that is a good thing. As you later said some TMNT fans are not necessarly fans of beat em' up games, so I find pretty good the possibility to rush to the end of the level without fighting anyone. From my personal experience, when I was younger, I used to skip some parts of the game, just because I didn't want to fight the enemies and risk to loose.
Yes, it kinda ruins the sense of beat em' up, but I think is well thought.

Can't blame you, those games are MADE to be played with someone. I used to play the TMNT games with my older brother, that's why I almost enjoyed them all.

I played it recently, and it was a punch in the stomach. Not because it was not good, but because it was downright boring. The levels were too long, and too repetitive. The bosses maybe were ok, but for me it was really difficult to finish, just because you loose the will to continue. The only thing I really liked, was the 1 vs 1 mode, a thing that never came back into the various 2003 games.

Sadly, I've never played it...
We never had a good internet connection, so playing co-op online was... probably impossible.
Also, as you mentioned, I never played it due to the fact it didn't have local co-op feature.
I should really try it.
- I mean, I can understand not having to fight and kill EVERY enemy, but you should at least have to fight MOST of 'em, or else why even do a beat-'em-up? If all you're doing is avoiding enemies, then it's an obstacle course, not a beat-'em-up. Back in those days, especially, it was customary to have to fight every enemy in most of those games, so being able to skip most of them was very strange. It made that particular game feel unfinished. I remember in the magazines that was the biggest thing the critics complained about.

It's a bit more common nowadays. Like in Mutants In Manhattan, there are several levels where you definitely are NOT supposed to even try to fight every single enemy (although a few still require it). But back in 2004-ish it definitely wasn't the standard. And I still feel like they could have tweaked the balance just a bit. They had some good ideas in there, though.

- I haven't played the first 4Kids game in a couple of years, but yeah, I do remember the levels being a little bit long. Didn't bother me a ton back then, though; all beat-'em-up/hack-'n-slash games are by definition very repetitive. One of these days I'll hook up the Gamecube and see what I think now. I'm generally pretty forgiving.

- If nothing else, Smash-Up needed a bigger roster. Even if I was playing against someone else, I'd only be able to get so much out of such a small number of playable characters. I liked the basic idea, and what there IS of the game is fine, but... they could have done a lot better all the same. It just wasn't up to the fighting game standards of the day, not even for a licensed game. I feel like the developers just said "good enough" halfway through. But again, what there IS of the game is fine for what it is. It simply wasn't enough of that.

- Mutants In Manhattan is a good "average" single-player beat-'em'up. I say "average" as in, "It's not Arkham-level". Anyone expecting that level of depth would be disappointed. Anyone else who doesn't mind a single-player "keep hitting X and Y" game would likely find a lot to do. It easily has the best selection of Bosses in any TMNT game, ever. And it's not very difficult, and never feels like it's cheap or unfair. You can definitely find it cheap, so I definitely recommend giving it a look. You'll likely be pleasantly surprised.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:17 AM   #18
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I mean, I can understand not having to fight and kill EVERY enemy, but you should at least have to fight MOST of 'em, or else why even do a beat-'em-up? If all you're doing is avoiding enemies, then it's an obstacle course, not a beat-'em-up. Back in those days, especially, it was customary to have to fight every enemy in most of those games, so being able to skip most of them was very strange. It made that particular game feel unfinished. I remember in the magazines that was the biggest thing the critics complained about.

It's a bit more common nowadays. Like in Mutants In Manhattan, there are several levels where you definitely are NOT supposed to even try to fight every single enemy (although a few still require it). But back in 2004-ish it definitely wasn't the standard. And I still feel like they could have tweaked the balance just a bit. They had some good ideas in there, though.
Some levels of Battle Nexus actually requires you to beat every enemy, but they are something like 50% of the game. The most of it can be a skippable course, or you just have to beat a couple of enemies.

Quote:
If nothing else, Smash-Up needed a bigger roster. Even if I was playing against someone else, I'd only be able to get so much out of such a small number of playable characters. I liked the basic idea, and what there IS of the game is fine, but... they could have done a lot better all the same. It just wasn't up to the fighting game standards of the day, not even for a licensed game. I feel like the developers just said "good enough" halfway through. But again, what there IS of the game is fine for what it is. It simply wasn't enough of that.
Yeah...
Both Smash-Up and Mutant Melee had a bad roaster of characters. Mutant Melee has Slegh; a character that, since this game, never received an official name.
Who thought: "Ah yeah everybody loves him, he is damn important."

There is also commander Mozar in the game files and in some of the game's missions, but for some reasons, he is not playable... uff...
And don't get me started on the "reskins"...
Who cares about 2 variants of Casey and April as characters?

Smash-Up didn't have "bad" characters, but as you said it was very little...
They added Professor Honeycutt and some Rabbids in the Wii version, but still just one more character and 4 crossovers.

VICTORY!"
Old 04-01-2020, 03:49 AM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

See, those Rabbids were bullsh*t. That kinda sh*t right there infuriates me when they easily could have given those spots to literally ANY thing else.

For all its flaws, Tournament Fighters had an amazing roster, back in the day. Could've been better - jealous that the Genesis version had April and Casey - but it was pretty well fleshed-out. I can easily name another dozen characters that "deserved" to be there and Aska was kinda pointless, but aside from maaaaybe her, nobody felt like a wasted spot.

Smash-Up had a small roster and TWO of the spots were completely wasted. Given the year it came out, I can't do anything but shake my head at that decision. F*ck those developers for making the inclusion of Rabbids dependent on their making the game. Shame on them. Such a tone-deaf and boneheaded decision.

It's too bad TMNT isn't very popular at the moment. After seeing how well they were handled in Injustice 2, I'd honestly love to see a "real" TMNT fighting game with a decent engine and a beefy roster. Like a natural evolution of Tournament Fighters. That would be awesome. I'm not a huge fighting game guy, but I played the hell out of Tournament Fighters and I'd definitely play the hell out of a modern fighter, done well.

My preferred style of TMNT game is, was, and always will be "beat-'em-up", but as Andrew said, they've done a bunch of those in every flavor. So if the next TMNT game wasn't a beefed-up version of Mutants In Manhattan, I'd settle for a really decent fighting game.

I mean, someone can go ahead and do an RPG if they wanna, I'd be perfectly fine with that. They won't, though.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #20
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I’ve lost interest in videogames, but my favourite TMNT game was the first one for the Game Boy Advance, even though I wasn’t a beat-em up fan could never beat it. Never cared much for the others I played tbh.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote