The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #41
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

This movie seems more "action/horror" then the Brendan Frasier Mummy movie's "horror/comedy" vibe. I'll wait to see more in the next trailer
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #42
CyberCubed
Overlord

The first two Brendan Fraiser Mummy movies are fun action classics. I loved them as a kid and watched them again not too long ago and still hold up as cheesy action fun. They felt like 80's action movies despite being made in 1999-2001, so it was great. It was the perfect mix of action and comedy, I remember them being compared to Buffy the Vampire Slayer a lot since that show was airing at the same time the movies came out.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I used to watch the crap out of Mummy and Mummy Returns. They waited too long to do the Jet Li one, nobody cared about it by then.

I don't see anything in this new that suggests it couldn't be a sequel to those. You know, a century later... new Mummy. She even has Imhotep's Giant Sandface powers, apparently.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

Anyone think young Brendan Fraiser looks like Leon from Resident Evil 2 and 4? Funny thing is Resident Evil 2 came out on the PS1/N64 back in 1999/2000, the same time his Mummy films came out. Then RE4 came out in 2005 on Gamecube and PS2, he looks nearly identical.

If they made Resident Evil movies actually based on the games instead of the weird direction they went with them, a young Brendan Fraiser from the early 2000's would have been perfect for Leon.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #45
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The first two Brendan Fraiser Mummy movies are fun action classics. I loved them as a kid and watched them again not too long ago and still hold up as cheesy action fun. They felt like 80's action movies despite being made in 1999-2001, so it was great. It was the perfect mix of action and comedy, I remember them being compared to Buffy the Vampire Slayer a lot since that show was airing at the same time the movies came out.
I haven't watched the Mummy movies in years but remember liking them a lot back when I was a kid. Then again, I think I only saw the first two. Don't think I ever saw the 3rd one and I've never seen The Scorpion King... even though it airs like 15 times per year on TV here

Quote:
Anyone think young Brendan Fraiser looks like Leon from Resident Evil 2 and 4? Funny thing is Resident Evil 2 came out on the PS1/N64 back in 1999/2000, the same time his Mummy films came out. Then RE4 came out in 2005 on Gamecube and PS2, he looks nearly identical.

If they made Resident Evil movies actually based on the games instead of the weird direction they went with them, a young Brendan Fraiser from the early 2000's would have been perfect for Leon.
Hmm... kinda. I can see where you're coming from.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #46
Vicky82
Emperor

The critics reviews are out and it's getting slammed.

29% on Rotten Tomatoes so far.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post

Owww... no wonder they were hiding the reviews for a while.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #48
CyberCubed
Overlord

Tom Cruise will probably say, "Hey, I only did it for the money!"

He has Top Gun 2 and Mission Impossible 6 coming up among other things, so I'm sure he does not care.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Tom Cruise will probably say, "Hey, I only did it for the money!"

He has Top Gun 2 and Mission Impossible 6 coming up among other things, so I'm sure he does not care.
Of course. This is just a fun whatever thing for him.

Damn, what if this ends up doing even worse than Dracula Untold?
Old 06-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #50
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post

It went up to 31%, but who knows, by the time the movie is released over the weekend, the percentage can either go up or down, plus this movie is supposed to be the start of this Dark Universe.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
plus this movie is supposed to be the start of this Dark Universe.
So was the last one (Dracula Untold).
Old 06-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #52
sdp
-

I believe some interviews when the Wolfman came out in 2008 or so that they would like to revive all the mosnters like they did with wolfman. Obviously that didn't happen either and this "Dark Universe" has been in development for quite a while.

I was surprised by how they started announcing all the movies after the Mummy since interviews kept mentioning they weren't going to rush out a connected universe but they wanted to, a few months alter they say "oh it's the dark universe and we're doing all these movies".

I'm surprised by the high caliber actors they got for the movies. I mean I never expected Tom Cruise in The Mummy. Now to me I'm not really a fan of Tom Cruise but any movie he is in is at least reasonably entertaining since he is indeed a pretty good actor. I just find the concept of monsters very difficult to pull off in today's age, these movies would work better as period pieces and even then it would be hard to do. I think the Mummy and The Mummy 2 mostly worked since they seemed to be more of an Indiana Jones type movie, I don't really know since i've never watched them but that's what I always got from the trailers.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #53
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I didn't realize Alex Kurtzman was the director for this movie. The bad reviews now make sense.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #54
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I notice "American Made" is also Universal. I bet it was one of those deals that like, "So you really want to do American Made, huh, Tom? Really bad?" "Yeah, I do!" and it's, "OK, we'll greenlight it... but only if you also do The Mummy."
Old 06-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Daaamn, it's down to 22% on Rottentomatoes. That puts it only 2 percentage points above "Baywatch" and 6 percentage points below King Arthur. Also worth noting, 1 percentage point below "Dracula Untold," their last attempt to begin the Dark Universe.

"Critics Consensus: Lacking the campy fun of the franchise's most recent entries and failing to deliver many monster-movie thrills, The Mummy suggests a speedy unraveling for the Dark Universe."
Old 06-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #56
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

China loved The Mummy.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/mu...se-1202460329/
Old 06-10-2017, 04:50 AM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Saw it today in a quarter full theater. Oh boy, it's awful. It's like... a 90 minute commercial for a shared universe that they don't even know what will be yet. Truly bad. Surprising me was Tom's attempts at making his character funny... completely fell flat. The Mummy herself is lovely, and the movie stops midway through and tries to make you feel really, really bad for her. Also, she's barely in it. All of her scenes are in the trailers, all of them. Nothing after the credits or midway through, no teaser stinger for "Bride of Frankenstein" or anything... this whole movie smacks of a distinct lack of confidence in anything they're doing, and for good reason. Imagine if Iron Man 1 was 70% about SHIELD talking about establishing an Avengers (without even naming any other Avengers) with very little Iron Man, and the opening credits had a big "The New Marvel Cinematic Universe" thing.

And yeah, not really a spoiler but a huge item from the Fraser movies does show up. It is very noticeable and it is a very clear nod to those movies. I think it's the only thing I liked about the movie.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-10-2017 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:17 AM   #58
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I love the Brandon Fraser Mummy movies, I seen the 1st two, and they were fun movies, I'm gonna see this new one today despite all the critical reviews, I'm curious about this Dark Universe.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #59
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

With how bad the Mummy did I doubt there will be a dark universe.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #60
CyberCubed
Overlord

Brandon Fraiser is probably rolling in his grave.