The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 09-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
this is what happens when Ninja warriors trade their weapons with yo-yos and hard salamis.
And double-down with this for an encore:

While III is arguably better than II beyond the costumes, but that's probably one of the worst intros I've ever seen. Even as a kid in 1993, I was worried right away.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #22
sdp
-

In my headcanon the scientists from TMNT II are Utroms and Renet accidentally left the time scepter where it was found, she later retrieves it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #23
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
In my headcanon the scientists from TMNT II are Utroms.
That's how it was intended to be. No excuse to edit it out.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #24
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
While III is arguably better than II beyond the costumes
What arguments are there in favor of it? Neither one is actually good but 2 at least tied up the loose end of where the Ooze came from and kind of explored the consequences of the first movie, 3 just seems pointless and poorly paced.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #25
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
this is what happens when Ninja warriors trade their weapons with yo-yos and hard salamis.

I personally prefer a nice hard salami going down my throat to a nunchaku ANY day.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #26
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
And double-down with this for an encore:

While III is arguably better than II beyond the costumes, but that's probably one of the worst intros I've ever seen. Even as a kid in 1993, I was worried right away.
yeah that intro's pretty wretched.
at least it was ZZ Top playing and not one of the songs from the Pizza Hut tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
I personally prefer a nice hard salami going down my throat to a nunchaku ANY day.
i chose option (D) none of the above.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #27
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisa View Post
A lot of people have mentioned before that a live action movie based off “Legend of Koji” from the OT would have been intriguing and I still tend to agree with that.
Yeah. Guess which was better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Thats not the only reason I like it more.
It was also well written.

Quote:
I never even noticed that TMNT II did less than half of the box office of TMNT I. Huh. Yeah, they should have learned. TMNT II definitely didn't underperform because of a lack of TMNT fans in 1991.
The sequels as expected all suffered from diminishing returns you'd expect from sequels but the second and third movie were by no means flops and made considerable profit.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
The sequels as expected all suffered from diminishing returns you'd expect from sequels but the second and third movie were by no means flops and made considerable profit.
Not really. TMNT II had a production budget of 25 million... it's hard to speculate what the marketing budget would be in a movie in 1991, but let's say it's shockingly low and the same as the production budget, another 25 million. The movie made 78 million stateside. Going by the usual math (theaters taking their cuts), New Line/Golden Harvest took home about 60 million of that, probably less. That's 60 million against 50 million to make the movie. The overseas data on TMNT II and III is not known for some strange reason, but let's assume it performed proportionately the same as TMNT I did overseas, adjusted for the same decline seen domestically between films (TMNT I did 135 million domestically with an added 67 million overseas, TMNT II did 78 domestically)... that gives us another 40 million overseas. Cut that in half because you're losing half of the money on international ticket sales, that's another 20 million in the pot. 80 million against 50 million to make it. Not terrible but not a slam dunk, either.

TMNT III, only 4 million dollars less to make than TMNT II but it made only half the money. They probably did end up in the red on III, clawing to a breaking even point when it came time for home video sales and such.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #29
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Not really. TMNT II had a production budget of 25 million... it's hard to speculate what the marketing budget would be in a movie in 1991, but let's say it's shockingly low and the same as the production budget, another 25 million. The movie made 78 million stateside. Going by the usual math (theaters taking their cuts), New Line/Golden Harvest took home about 60 million of that, probably less. That's 60 million against 50 million to make the movie. The overseas data on TMNT II and III is not known for some strange reason, but let's assume it performed proportionately the same as TMNT I did overseas, adjusted for the same decline seen domestically between films (TMNT I did 135 million domestically with an added 67 million overseas, TMNT II did 78 domestically)... that gives us another 40 million overseas. Cut that in half because you're losing half of the money on international ticket sales, that's another 20 million in the pot. 80 million against 50 million to make it. Not terrible but not a slam dunk, either.

TMNT III, only 4 million dollars less to make than TMNT II but it made only half the money. They probably did end up in the red on III, clawing to a breaking even point when it came time for home video sales and such.
The sequels definitely did less well but were still profitable for the studio. The sequels were hardly flops both in the US and internationally. Then again I'm not sure how TMNT II could have made more money than the original since the original film was the ninth highest grossing film that year and for many years the highest grossing independent film of all time. That's quite a large bar to set.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
The sequels definitely did less well but were still profitable for the studio. The sequels were hardly flops both in the US and internationally. Then again I'm not sure how TMNT II could have made more money than the original
But... I just explained how none of that is true.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #31
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
But... I just explained how none of that is true.

Ok, that was funny. Pretty much refuting hard facts with a "nuh-uh!".
Old 10-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #32
Coola Yagami
Overlord

If they had just put Renet and a less demonic looking Savanti in there (think of the kids) THAT would have been the way to introduce them to the fanbase at large. Who cares if kids didn't know who they were, they would by watching the movie, and it would have led to toys and possibly an appearance on the cartoon. Then as adults we would have been surprised to find out that what we once thought were original movie characters were from the comics all along.

I mean c'mon, kids had to accept Splinter as a rat, an all-human Foot Clan and lack of Techmodrome and whatnot, as well as flowing a Mirage based storyline unlike anything they've seen on the show. And Vanilla Ice.

I'm sure they would have accepted Renet and Savanti better than Walker and Mitsu. Even if 'omg they wouldn't know they were from the comics'. Most of us didn't know about Yoshi and Splinter not being the same person either.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post

Ok, that was funny. Pretty much refuting hard facts with a "nuh-uh!".
That is exactly what you did to my post. Except you forgot to include any facts.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #34
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
yeah that intro's pretty wretched.
at least it was ZZ Top playing and not one of the songs from the Pizza Hut tour.

i chose option (D) none of the above.
At the very least.... those were some sweet moves they were doing.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:50 AM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's probably the same reason Renet and Savanti never appeared in the original cartoon. I mean the show could have easily used them, or at least Renet, but they were completely ignored.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #36
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's probably the same reason Renet and Savanti never appeared in the original cartoon. I mean the show could have easily used them, or at least Renet, but they were completely ignored.
The series played so much of 1950's and 60's science fiction that it was better to use time machines.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #37
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Well, if they made a modern TMNT time traveling movie with Renet, this is what I would've done.

-Open with the turtles stopping a group of thieves (maybe the purple dragons) from robbing a history museum. The turtles meet the curator of the Heian-period Japanese exhibit, Renet Tilly, who watches them stop the crooks, then thanks them for saving the exhibit.

-The next night, the turtles come back to visit Renet, who shows them the mystical time scepter, a Shinto Japanese relic from the Heian period. Mikey messes with the scepter, and sends Renet and the four turtles bouncing through time.

-The five end up jumping wildly through time, encountering mutants through the earth's history who had been affected by the ooze; first they end up in ancient egypt, where they prevent an attempt to overthrow Pharaoh by a mutant gator whose name translates as 'Leatherhead'.

-Next they end up in feudal Japan, where they save Ninja Master Hamato Yoshi and his four sons from assassination by a group of Ninjas led by the evil Kappa, Slash, who had actually been sent by the Ninja warlord, Oroku Saki. (The connection Between Yoshi and his sons and the turtles is never spelled out by the movie, but the audience gets hints).

-Then finally, Victorian England, Where the rat king threatens the city with his rat-monster horde from the city's sewers.

-Renet was magically bonded to the staff when it was activated, and must use it's power to not only try and steer them through time, but also to use her newfound magic to fight with the TMNT. The time scepter's magic also translates for them both ways in the first two eras.

-the film ends with a return to the near-present... only to find Shredder has taken over the world, the Technodrome is sitting in the middle of new York... and a squad of foot and Rock soldiers- led by Bebop and Rocksteady- have the newly returned turtles surrounded.... roll credits.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #38
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The OT didn't even use some characters that would fit perfectly for it like Fugitod, we got plenty of fugitoid like stories with random robots instead of one for Fugitoid.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #39
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The OT didn't even use some characters that would fit perfectly for it like Fugitod, we got plenty of fugitoid like stories with random robots instead of one for Fugitoid.
That was a curious missed opportunity they made yes.