The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 04-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #21
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fixer View Post
Unless I'm gravely mistaken, the O'Neil farm was an actual existing house near Wilmington, not a constructed set...

Of course, what often happens with movie locations is that the location scout (along with the director of course) select a vacant building they can alter, dress and fill with their cumbersome gear to their heart's desire without having to worry about the occupants. After the movie wraps, it isn't uncommon that such buildings are torn down.
For example (if I remember correctly) the Goonies house in Astoria, Oregon was vacant when the movie was shot there. (Luckily it wasn't torn down afterwards.)

What I'm trying to say is- maybe the reason we can't find a trace of the house is that it simply didn't survive the start of the nineties.

Sure hope I'm wrong.
I can't remember where, but I'm pretty sure I've read that it was a found location.

Unless the production builds the structure, it's more than likely rented. In that case, the production wouldn't have any reason to tear down locations. While it's possible that the farm house is no longer around, it's probably not due to the production.

Does anyone here have call sheets from the farm shoot? That might have the location info/address.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:25 AM   #22
the fixer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
I can't remember where, but I'm pretty sure I've read that it was a found location.

Unless the production builds the structure, it's more than likely rented. In that case, the production wouldn't have any reason to tear down locations. While it's possible that the farm house is no longer around, it's probably not due to the production.

Does anyone here have call sheets from the farm shoot? That might have the location info/address.
What sometimes happens with vacant/derelict buildings being used as locations is that the production actually aggravates their state which doesn't really help their odds of survival. This could be for multiple reasons. Maybe walls need to be torn down to widen certain areas to accomodate the equipment and crew. Sometimes the use of pyrotechnics -controlled as they might be- or squibs representing bullet hits do severe damage to structures.
(A good example of the latter are the derelict buildings in Chicago (made up to look Chinese) that are 'blown up' in the latest Transformers Bay-a-thon. )

Of course, the only damage done to the farmhouse in TMNT is the truck ramming the barn gate, so the farm most likely survived the production unscathed. Unless other damage was done behind the scenes...

Anyway, the call sheets are a good idea! Sure hope someone here has them in their collection...

Last edited by the fixer; 04-09-2016 at 02:34 AM.
the fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:22 AM   #23
Etsyturtle2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Where have you visited? Post pictures.
First, the main one was a local news station- The Channel 4 News. (among other not as exciting locations such as simple alleyway shots.)
second, The pics were on my old Phone, which got accidentally washed with my jeans.
Third,We were just passing by for some winter concert anyway, and after, I asked my parents if we could check out some spots. It wasn't a big deal.
Etsyturtle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:35 AM   #24
the fixer
Hench Mutant

Apparently there have been a handful of book written about filming in Wilmington:

Wilm on Film (2010, Jeff Hidek)

Film Junkie's Guide to North Carolina (2004, Connie Nelson & Floyd Harris)

Cinematic Wilmington : Making Movies on the Cape Fear Coast (2000, Jean Wertz Nance )

Wilmington Films & Locations: Movie Power in North Carolina (1999, Betsy Brody Roberts)

According to the index accessible with Amazon's 'look inside' function, 'Wilm on Film' has five pages on TMNT (and one on TMNT II)

Does anyone here (or their local library ) have any of these books? Maybe the location of the movie one farmhouse and its fate is revealed in one of them...

Let's get to the bottom of this once and for all!!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #25
tmntgeoff
Hench Mutant

I have always wondered if the farmhouse still stands.

When I spoke with Kenn Scott back in december who did the stunts for raph he did confirm it wasn't a set built house.

"That was actually an old farmhouse somewhere out in the boonies of North Carolina near Wilmington. I couldn't even tell you where it was. It was just outside of that house, in the sweltering heat and humidity of North Carolina, that we filmed some training sequences, that ended with us taking the following photo to show how miserably hot it was..."

There are a lot of YouTube videos of abandoned farm houses in North Carolina and I've always hoped someone films it and uploads.

On another note I've been speaking with the property master Petie Waldrop and he said the only set that is left on the studio from either film is from the ending scene in part 2 but it is boarded up and not accessible anymore.
tmntgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #26
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etsyturtle2 View Post
First, the main one was a local news station- The Channel 4 News. (among other not as exciting locations such as simple alleyway shots.)
second, The pics were on my old Phone, which got accidentally washed with my jeans.
Third,We were just passing by for some winter concert anyway, and after, I asked my parents if we could check out some spots. It wasn't a big deal.
Yeah, no you didn't. 90% of those locations were built specifically on a set lot for the film, at Carolco Studios, which no longer exists.

One of the few areas that is still standing, a glue factory, is not legally accessible by the general public.

Not to mention, the only people who actually know where the real-life areas they shot in are the ones who worked on or acted in the film. The odds that you, a 13 year old kid, while passing through a 41.5 mile wide city, just so happened to stumble upon a specific alleyway that a character allegedly passed through in the shadow of night 25 years ago, are slimmer than an anorexic arm width. & that's assuming they even used a genuine alleyway at all, considering they had built an entire city-scape for their own personal use, they wouldn't need one. That's a bustling city, were those supposed places to still exist, they would likely be unrecognizable after all these years.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:34 AM   #27
Raph
Mad Scientist

This is a nice website that discusses the locations.

http://www.scoutingny.com/the-nyc-fi...-the-good-one/

Reading through this thread I noticed I promised some photos of the locations I visited. Still need to post pics...
Old 04-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #28
the fixer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph View Post
This is a nice website that discusses the locations.
Reading through this thread I noticed I promised some photos of the locations I visited. Still need to post pics...

PICS! PICS! PICS! *Banging sai pommels on table* :p
Old 04-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #29
tmntgeoff
Hench Mutant

I'm dying to see if the farmhouse in North Carolina is still there. It was already run down 25 years ago though.
tmntgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #30
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Yeah, I would make the trip if I knew the addresses.
TMNTChris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #31
psychturtle
Mad Scientist

I swear, photos of these locations are more elusive that Bigfoot.
psychturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:58 PM   #32
tmntohio
Thug

i have been wanting to know were the farm house is for years. no one can seem to tell you were its at or show a current pic. hopefully the guys who said they have been there can get us a pic soon. I would like to see what it looks like today.
also were its located in NC. I thought I read once that it was close to the Wilmington airport an the actors in the suits had keep taking breaks while the planes flew over because of the noise. I plan on taking a trip to Wilmington nc some day. I would love to show myself an my son the house an other tmnt film locations.

Last edited by tmntohio; 07-24-2016 at 03:09 PM.
tmntohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:31 PM   #33
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

More than likely, production call sheets would have the address of the location, and probably even directions and maps.

Call sheets from the two Wilmington movies are RARE. Rutger has the only TMNT call sheets I've ever seen, and that's after scouring the internet and auctions for 15 years. I'm really shocked more haven't popped up.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #34
drewizzle88
Stone Warrior

I have a tiny update, I came across someone who has pictures of the farmhouse from just a few weeks ago. However he wasn't comfortable disclosing the location, which is understandable and also really sucks because we aren't any closer to finding it.

The search continues my friends, some day I'm determined to find it. I'm happy to know it hasn't been destroyed and my search isn't in vain.

https://www.facebook.com/myershousenc/ <---The persons page who found the farmhouse, the post was on Aug 20.

Seeing those pictures brought up some emotion I wont lie...
Old 09-13-2016, 10:10 PM   #35
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Whoa--I had heard it was no longer standing, so this is pretty awesome news to hear!
Old 09-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #36
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Pictures from the Facebook Page

https://www.facebook.com/myershousen...type=3&theater
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #37
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Pretty upsetting that some people know where it is but won't reveal it's location like look at me. I'm special and know the secret location and you don't. Some of us would actually like to check this building out for ourselves, being able to live our childhood fantasy of actually walking on the same grounds where they filmed probably one of the greatest TMNT films we'll ever see.

I'm sure someone will come along that's a little less selfish and spill the beans.

Sorry to sound so pissy but it's like when someone comes to you and says, I got a super juicy secret I want to share with you but I'm not allowed to so I won't. It's a little irritating.

Last edited by Sabacooza; 09-24-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #38
Powder
So tired of this place

It happens to our fandom a lot. People come across incredible content then wave it in our face while keeping it to themselves.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #39
ToTheNines
[sic]

It's probably privately owned and I would imagine the dude agreed to not divulge the address. But yeah, I would love to know where it is... I'd totally go.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #40
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Well, if it is privately owned then sure, I get it. You don't want a bunch of people bugging you about it I guess. However, if it's not privately owned, there's no way in hell this should be kept from other fans.

Has anyone tried using the satellite feature in Google maps? I checked out surrounding areas close to the Wilmington Airport but it doesn't zoom in quite enough.

Last edited by Sabacooza; 09-24-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote