The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 07-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #41
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

That's like the complete opposite of people who are afraid of confined spaces.

Areas of wide open stretches of flat Midwestern (or FL?) land = ? Actually I guess that really is a thing.

I prefer coastal living, mostly suburbs, though the midwest is okay. I think the ONLY thing that would drive me nuts is one (or more) of the cicada species that live in part of it. People must tune those buggers out.

I'm so used to ours that just go up in sound slowly getting louder, hold the volume for a moment, then slowly back down in volume, then done. Ones I heard in part of Kansas (grandparents originally from there so my mom was telling me the cicadas were crazy there) were all up-down-up-down-up-down -- eeee-EEEE-eeee-EEE-eeee-EEEE-eeee-EEE-eeee-EEEE-eeee-EEEE... omg make it stop. No. No, thank you.

edit: You seen this one, Cubed?

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-29-2017 at 04:34 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:02 PM   #42
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well yeah, I'm a city slicker. I don't know anything about this country, camping, or farmhouse stuff. If I don't see a bunch of buildings close together I feel like I'm in another universe.

Sometimes when I go down to Florida it creeps me out with the large stretches of land with nothing in them. I feel like I'm in the foreign legion or something. I've never been to another country either, so I imagine I'd be in for quite the culture shock.
You gotta get out on a Walter Mitty type trip my dude
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #43
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I would read books since I enjoy doing that anyway and I would write too. I don't go online as much as I used to and feel it's not necessary to have it to live. I only watch TV at night and sometimes during the day if there's anything on. I don't think my dad would survive because that's all he does is watch TV. Then again, he really doesn't have anything else to do besides that.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:15 PM   #44
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
lol You are definitely a city boy.

I dunno, I think actually going somewhere a ways from home is kind of the point though. To get away from everything. It's a vacation... but not one dependent on luxuries.

I've only camped somewhat just once for a couple of days. Assateague Island campground in Maryland... Highly recommend it. Would gladly go back, though I'd prefer to take a little camper, not a tent like last time. Fun, but that sand the tent was set up in is surprisingly hard when you intend to sleep on it. (I ended up buying a little canvas raft the next day for a makeshift air mattress. That helped a lot.)

But going to sleep listening to the ocean because each loop of camp spots is right behind the dunes; the wild ponies (large ponies, or small horses if you will) and small deer that wander the area and might run into them - including the pony that showed up nearby the first night (the only close one we saw) when we were eating dinner at the picnic table we were fortunate to have at our spot, and the deer that showed up just a few feet behind me the last morning, clearly summoned by my rustling chip bags and hoping for handouts; and the boardwalk of Ocean City, MD not far from there to spend part of the day at...

Awesome.

Though we also sat through a thunderstorm in the tent the first night. Prob not the safest thing as this is a flat island and we prob aught to have gotten in the cars instead, but it was fun... if you like storms.

There were was also a restroom for each loop which was nice, so it wasn't entirely roughing it. Now... could I do REAL roughing it camping in a tent in some woods or whatever... eh, yeah, I dunno about that. lol Visit, sure, sleep there, not so sure.

You've been to Assateague? Cool! I've always wanted to see it. Misty of Chincoteague was one of my favorite books growing up, and seeing the wild ponies there and maybe getting to see Pony Penning Day (if they still do that) is something I'd love to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well yeah, I'm a city slicker. I don't know anything about this country, camping, or farmhouse stuff. If I don't see a bunch of buildings close together I feel like I'm in another universe.

Sometimes when I go down to Florida it creeps me out with the large stretches of land with nothing in them. I feel like I'm in the foreign legion or something. I've never been to another country either, so I imagine I'd be in for quite the culture shock.

You would go positively nuts here in Texas then. Farmland and hilly plains everywhere. And woodsy wildlands too. Yes we have big cities but they are far apart- it's an 80+ mile drive from my home town growing up to get to Dallas, and that is the nearest "big city" of the kind you mean. Fort Worth is further rhan that- though I currently live closer to it than Dallas. Both are pretty big, but are surrounded by small suburbs and vast farm and ranchland areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
That's like the complete opposite of people who are afraid of confined spaces.

Areas of wide open stretches of flat Midwestern (or FL?) land = https://media2.giphy.com/media/ZFFB6KD65wWME/100.gif ? Actually I guess that really is a thing.

I prefer coastal living, mostly suburbs, though the midwest is okay. I think the ONLY thing that would drive me nuts is one (or more) of the cicada species that live in part of it. People must tune those buggers out.

I'm so used to ours that just go up in sound slowly getting louder, hold the volume for a moment, then slowly back down in volume, then done. Ones I heard in part of Kansas (grandparents originally from there so my mom was telling me the cicadas were crazy there) were all up-down-up-down-up-down -- eeee-EEEE-eeee-EEE-eeee-EEEE-eeee-EEE-eeee-EEEE-eeee-EEEE... omg make it stop. No. No, thank you.

edit: You seen this one, Cubed?

Lol yeah we mostly tune them out. Or just sit outside in the evenings and listen to them in summer. We get the ones you were talking about here. They are big suckers too! Bright green with metallic gold sheen on the head and wings. Pretty, but alien-looking. The call is just like you described it. But it's fairly constant so it is just background noise after a few minutes.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:06 PM   #45
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I live in a fairly urban to suburban area and I still have deer ....and coyotes and owls singing all night...and treefrogs. Those are loud. And we have cicadas. I don't even pay attention to them.

I LOVE camping. And sleeping outside. I'd be fine without tech for a week.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #46
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

After I plan out with my friends, I'd probably do these:
  • Go for a hike/nature walk
  • Read (easy cop out, I know)
  • Maybe travel to another state and sight see
  • End it all with a big party

There's probably more, but these are the major examples I'd do, especially the big party.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:22 PM   #47
Shark_Blade
Emperor

• Read
  • Marathon Run (I normally do 10km/day. So add some more to that)
  • Swim
  • Run some more
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:56 AM   #48
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Go insane because I wouldn't be able to talk to my family. Also, my books are electronic these days.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #49
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I was thinking anything that takes electricity or batteries. Are gramophones wind-up? They could be fine. CD players no.
Early-20th century gramophones were wind-up.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:24 AM   #50
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Like others have mentioned, I usually go camping as well. I actually go quite often, over the weekends and what not. The Pacific Northwest is like a camper's and hiker's paradise...so many beautiful areas to see! My boyfriend and I find that tent camping is also very affordable for us, and it allows us to explore and travel. We're also very outdoorsy and we have a crap ton of gear and multiple tents! Oneday when we can afford it, we'd like to get a camper, or at least get a VW Westfalia or camper van of some sort, but we'd probably still use our tents too.

We go to our usual spots but also try to hit areas we've never been to. Let's see...this summer sofar we've camped twice by Hood Canal, then we camped at Bumping Lake twice (by Mt Rainier), last week we camped overnight on the Pacific Coast, and then next month we'll be doing our BIG summer camping trip that we do every year, and we'll be going to Idaho near Hells Canyon! Looking forward to that! Never been to Hells Canyon or explored enough of Idaho. Even Oregon we've only seen so much of, mostly the coast, and also Crater Lake. Last year we took our big summer trip down to northern California and did some coast camping, forest camping, and even camped along the Oregon Dunes on the way back up to Seattle.

It is fun to camp if you don't mind doing without some modern conveniences (although we have a bit of a workaround with that), and have an adventurous side. But it's not for everyone, as I see some people posting about. I like Jim Gaffigan's take on it, as he's also a non-camper, lol!

Last edited by Lisardo; 08-31-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:41 PM   #51
mrmaczaps
Banned

If I had a full 7 days with no outside interaction.... I'd get my comics sorted and probably end up stuck, sitting on the floor surrounded by 10k comics and not be able to get out for another week....
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:49 PM   #52
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisardo View Post
Like others have mentioned, I usually go camping as well. I actually go quite often, over the weekends and what not. The Pacific Northwest is like a camper's and hiker's paradise...so many beautiful areas to see! My boyfriend and I find that tent camping is also very affordable for us, and it allows us to explore and travel. We're also very outdoorsy and we have a crap ton of gear and multiple tents! Oneday when we can afford it, we'd like to get a camper, or at least get a VW Westfalia or camper van of some sort, but we'd probably still use our tents too.

We go to our usual spots but also try to hit areas we've never been to. Let's see...this summer sofar we've camped twice by Hood Canal, then we camped at Bumping Lake twice (by Mt Rainier), last week we camped overnight on the Pacific Coast, and then next month we'll be doing our BIG summer camping trip that we do every year, and we'll be going to Idaho near Hells Canyon! Looking forward to that! Never been to Hells Canyon or explored enough of Idaho. Even Oregon we've only seen so much of, mostly the coast, and also Crater Lake. Last year we took our big summer trip down to northern California and did some coast camping, forest camping, and even camped along the Oregon Dunes on the way back up to Seattle.

It is fun to camp if you don't mind doing without some modern conveniences (although we have a bit of a workaround with that), and have an adventurous side. But it's not for everyone, as I see some people posting about. I like Jim Gaffigan's take on it, as he's also a non-camper, lol!

I wonder if Hells Canyon is worthy of its name? You will have to let us know. Jim Gaffigan had some funny lines in that.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:40 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

Tell me you guys are taking a gun with you on these deep camping trips.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #54
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I wonder if Hells Canyon is worthy of its name? You will have to let us know. Jim Gaffigan had some funny lines in that.
I dunno, never been there. I heard the river can be somewhat rough though. We may go white water rafting, but I've never done that so I'm a twee scared, lol! Sure, I can give a review after our trip! Yeah, Gaff is rather funny in this one, because some of the stuff he mentions is very true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Tell me you guys are taking a gun with you on these deep camping trips.
Lol, no we don't! Don't listen to Gaff - it isn't THAT dangerous to camp that you need guns! Though if you're doing true wilderness type camping, take care in where you store your food (animals and bears). We don't always do remote camping, usually not actually. We usually go to campgrounds but we're very picky about the kind of campgrounds we go to. We'll do state parks sometimes if that's all that's available in that area (such as the Pacific Coast recently), but it's costlier per night; at around $25 - $45 per night depending on the site (even if it's just a primative tent site). Typically we choose national service forest type campgrounds out in the forests/mountains. Those kind of campgrounds are only like $10 - $18/night, and some have more amenities than others (some have flush toilets while some only have pit toilets; some have running water spigots while others don't [dry camp - bring your own water or filter it from a stream]).

We have occasionally backpacked but damn it's a lot of work and MUCH more planning is involved! We have done "dispersed car camping", meaning you drive along a US forest service road for a ways, and when the road becomes more gravely you'll oftentimes find already-existing campsites, complete with a rock-surrounded, primitive firepit. No bathroom or picnic table though (potty in the woods and bring your own folding table/chairs). These sites are made by the US Forest Service and are completely free. For primitive, low - no cost campsites like that, you can also find them here: https://freecampsites.net/

Last edited by Lisardo; 09-01-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Lol, no we don't! Don't listen to Gaff - it isn't THAT dangerous to camp that you need guns!
Bullsh**.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...-colorado-spd/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-b-c-1.3069202

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/14...ard-human-dna/

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=128833170

http://www.oregonlive.com/today/inde..._texted_t.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5b2b81a0260d

More often than not you'll be OK... until the one time you're not. Are you guys just going to campgrounds with other campsites with lots of people around, or all by yourselves far in?
Old 09-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #56
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Well as I explained in my last post, usually we go to campgrounds. As for bear attacks, let's think of it this way - there's always sharks in the water and there's always a risk of a shark encounter or attack if you swim/surf in the ocean. But as you just said, more often than not, there's no danger. Most animals fear humans. You get occasional instances of brave, fearless animals, who will attack people in the ocean/campgrounds, but it's not the typical behavior. Even the articles you posted, which I briefly skimmed thru, even said that "This is not typical bear behavior" or something like that. Which I firmly believe.

Hell, when we camped at Bumping Lake the first time this summer, we encountered an elk that was pretty close to our campsite! Was quite amazing actually! But it was not a threat, and we had no other animal threats. The worse we've encountered is raccoons getting into our stuff! So annoying! Esp. since the one time we left our food outside, it was in close (snap)-lidded bins! We've learned since then, and only store food in our car. Also, I think perhaps other campers in these instances you mention, may have left food outside overnight, which is a HUGE NO-NO!!! Those are what you call novice campers. Course bears could be smelling the food cooking at dinnertime, but still....in all the years I've camped we've never had any scares. Again, most animals aren't that fearless. I myself don't live in fear. I'm surprized you mentioned this actually, considering you yourself do more remote type camping, in which a bear encounter is much more likely.

Also if you're gonna be camping in bear country it's important to be "bear aware" and get all the facts about the area and bears and their activity of that area. When we did our big summer camping trip at Glacier Nat'l park in 2014, we knew it was bear country and that if you hike in there you need to wear bells to scare off any nearby bears. Also all the campgrounds in that area had bear food storage closets. Though one of the articles you linked did say that despite the bear closets, that one bear still raided the campground. Again, HIGHLY unusual for a bear to do, esp. in a highly populated campground!

Last edited by Lisardo; 09-01-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Well as I explained in my last post, usually we go to campgrounds. As for bear attacks, let's think of it this way - there's always sharks in the water and there's always a risk of a shark encounter or attack if you swim/surf in the ocean. But as you just said, more often than not, there's no danger. Most animals fear humans. You get occasional instances of brave, fearless animals, who will attack people in the ocean/campgrounds, but it's not the typical behavior. Even the articles you posted, which I briefly skimmed thru, even said that "This is not typical bear behavior" or something like that. Which I firmly believe.
Or it's a year with low food and they're starving and suddenly they see a fat human snack wander nearby. The point is... you never know.

Quote:
Also if you're gonna be camping in bear country it's important to be "bear aware" and get all the facts about the area and bears and their activity of that area. When we did our big summer camping trip at Glacier Nat'l park in 2014, we knew it was bear country and that if you hike in there you need to wear bells to scare off any nearby bears.
Wearing bells? Wouldn't that alert the attention of mountain lions and cougars and the like? Better to have a shotgun locked and loaded with 8 slugs. Or at least some goddamn bear spray.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #58
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Or it's a year with low food and they're starving and suddenly they see a fat human snack wander nearby.
Again, that's incredibly rare. You seem to be rather fearful of being attacked while camping. It's not as much of a threat/danger as you're picturing, and as the media leads you to believe. Take precautions, be bear aware, and usually you're fine.

Quote:
Wearing bells? Wouldn't that alert the attention of mountain lions and cougars and the like? Better to have a shotgun locked and loaded with 8 slugs. Or at least some goddamn bear spray.
What I researched is that the bells alert the bears of your presence. What you DON'T want to do is happen upon a bear and surprize it. That's the theory anyway. They aren't perfect though, and not all types of bears respond to them the same way. The spray idea is a good idea, if we're hiking in a highly-populated area like Glacier again. Here in WA all you got is black bears and they aren't as aggressive as the brown bears of Montana. I'll admit, I was a bit more fearful myself camping and esp. hiking around Glacier (in Montana) after everything I heard about the bear problem there. But I still did it, and there were other hikers nearby so that put my mind at ease. Plus I was always looking out.

Last edited by Lisardo; 09-01-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #59
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I will second all of what Lusardo said. Bears are by and large more afraid of humans than humans are of them. Reason being- humans in the woods often like to SHOOT at them. Or anything else in the woods for that matter. Animals know what guns sound like even if they never see one and they know to stay away from the odd two legged creatures who make that loud noise. It is normally only when a dumb human stumbles into the path of a bear or cougar without pryor notice that something bad happens. And I can assure you that if you happen upon one THAT close, chsnces are that shotgun or whatever wont do you any good because the animal will be on you before you could even bring it to bear. (Heh see what I did there?) Bears can run at up to 35 mph and cougars can leap 12 feet or more and run about 40 mph. In other words either is much faster than a human. If you are close enough for it to be a threat it will probably reach you before you can aim. Then all bets are off.

That said, most camping areas are too heavily trafficked for most animals to go near- barring the occasional enterprising raccoon coyote or skunk. Personally I'd be more concerned about skunks in the woods than anything else, since they have almost NO fear. (Why should they? Even bears will think twice about messing with one. And they WILL run AT you if they feel threatened- because, stink.) The only other REAL danger is snakes. They are often difficult to spot and unless you know which are venomous, it can be hard to tell the difference. They also like to hide in nooks and crevices, or sun themselves, and humans can easily blunder right into one. And most give no warning before striking- except rattlesnakes who at least have an "alarm" that goes off before THEY do.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #60
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Don't most bear encounters happen because people aren't careful with their own food, not because bears view people as walking steaks?
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote