The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #21
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I’ve never read the comics and I’m not familiar with the 2012 series, but I’m rewatching the 2003 cartoon at the moment and, like Prowler, I’d say Mikey and Raph is my favourite along with Leo and Raph. I like all the different interactions between the Turtles nearly as much, though.
Wesley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I’ve never read the comics and I’m not familiar with the 2012 series, but I’m rewatching the 2003 cartoon at the moment and, like Prowler, I’d say Mikey and Raph is my favourite along with Leo and Raph. I like all the different interactions between the Turtles nearly as much, though.
One thing I always noticed in the FW series: whenever Leonardo told the Turtles to split in groups of two it was mostly Leo/Mike and Raph/Don pair-ups. Sometimes Leo/Raph and Don/Mike as well. But rarely Leo/Don and Raph/Mike. I think I only remember seeing the last two pair-ups like that one time.

It's probably for no particular reason, but I've always noticed that for some reason.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #23
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

My favorite turtle relationship bit so far was when Mikey fought Raph in the Battle Nexus tournament in the 2003 series.

How often do we see Leo and Mikey pair up to do something? I think Mikey usually goes with either Donnie or Raph.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
One thing I always noticed in the FW series: whenever Leonardo told the Turtles to split in groups of two it was mostly Leo/Mike and Raph/Don pair-ups. Sometimes Leo/Raph and Don/Mike as well. But rarely Leo/Don and Raph/Mike. I think I only remember seeing the last two pair-ups like that one time.

It's probably for no particular reason, but I've always noticed that for some reason.
I guess I don't remember the FW series that well.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
My favorite turtle relationship bit so far was when Mikey fought Raph in the Battle Nexus tournament in the 2003 series.

How often do we see Leo and Mikey pair up to do something? I think Mikey usually goes with either Donnie or Raph.

edit:

I guess I don't remember the FW series that well.
I can't remember episodes in particular, but the first one I remember where such split ups happened was in the first ever Zach episode, The Fifth Turtles. Where Leonardo and Mchelangelo went in together to face Shredder and Raphael and Donatello stayed behind fighting Bebop & Rocksteady or something?
Old 09-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #25
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I can't remember episodes in particular, but the first one I remember where such split ups happened was in the first ever Zach episode, The Fifth Turtles. Where Leonardo and Mchelangelo went in together to face Shredder and Raphael and Donatello stayed behind fighting Bebop & Rocksteady or something?
Raph and Don stayed behind to fight the Foot Soldiers guarding the planetarium I think, but yeah, that’s the first episode I remember such split ups happening too. Probably why I still remember that ep quite clearly despite not watching it in ages.
Wesley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #26
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Raph and Don stayed behind to fight the Foot Soldiers guarding the planetarium I think, but yeah, that’s the first episode I remember such split ups happening too. Probably why I still remember that ep quite clearly despite not watching it in ages.
Well the debut episodes of secondary characters were usually memorable. Especially because they were done in the first 3 seasons where the writers were still applying themselves somewhat. And the characters had to make a strong first impression so that they'd be popular enough to sell toys and be brought back later in the show.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #27
victory_angel
Foot Elite

My favorite relationships among the Turtles are Leo and Donnie. They always seem to understand each other on a fundamental level. Though their relationship varies from version to version.

The Fred Wolf story everyone got along more or less the same way. So it's hard to gauge their relationship aside from the fact they often are placed close together in numerous shots. Though in "Take Me to Your Leader" Leonardo does choose to talk with Donatello about his doubts as an effective leader.
So at best I would say Leonardo would acknowledge that Donatello has his uses.

2k3 version, Leo is a protective big brother in addition to being a leader. He does strongly rely on Donnie's intelligence and engineering skills.
Donnie, in turn, is the Turtle who holds the strongest loyalty towards Leo. Part of this loyalty is due to Leo saving his life when they had been children. Leo also seems to acknowledge that losing Donnie would be a devastating blow to their family as he does point out in one of the cold openings in Good Genes that there were numerous fights they wouldn't have gotten out alive without Donnie's assistance. Also during Good Genes, there is a point where Leo is wanting to help save his brother from the Monster he's become. But at the same time, he's at a loss as to what should be done because the very person he would turn about this problem is the problem.

2k12 Leo and Donnie are somewhat of a combo of the Fred Wolf and 4Kids version. Leo struggles with the role of being a leader and a big brother to everyone. Like the 2k3 and Mirage Comics Donnie does hold the strongest loyalty to Leo both as a brother and leader. In fact, the two of them are more or less two sides of the same coin and when the two of them work together in tandom there are few villains that can stand up to them. There are moments that Leo does rely on Donnie's insight, and there are moments where Leo is absent that Donnie does practically become Leo. Such as in the Invasion, after Leo's badly hurt and Splinter has supposedly been killed off. Everyone turns to Donnie since he has take up the mantle of leader. Donnie then responds by closing his eyes for a few seconds and then when he opens them again it's like they have become dark brown versions of Leo's eyes.

In this version, they have an added twist where the two of them clash now and again in the series. Leo has a traditionalist view towards the battles they face and feels that the skills they were taught by Splinter are the correct and only way to do things because that is what Splinter would want. Donnie, on the other hand, doesn't exactly shirk tradition, but he does understand that in the battles they face their traditional skills aren't going to be enough.
As the series progresses Leo does learn to be more reliant on Donnie technical skills. Though occasionally this reliance does go to almost abusive levels. Such as in "Fourfold Trap" it's been hinted at in previous episodes that Leo has been depending on Donnie to come up with some way to free Karai from a worm the Shredder is using to control her. So it's safe to assume that Donnie has been attempting to find a way to free Karai for quite some time. And has more than likely pulled more than a few all-nighters. In "Fourfold Trap" Donnie is attempting what he believes could be a cure only for it to fail. He then reluctantly says that is the extent of what he can come up with. Leo, however, refuses to let it go, then when Donnie tiredly grouses that he's trying as hard as he can to find a cure. Leo responds by shouting "THEN TRY HARDER!"

This version of Leo also seems to have a fiercely protective streak when it comes to Donatello. There is a tone in his voice he always gets when Donnie's in possible danger. While Leo is protective of Raph and Mikey as well, this vocal tone is only used in regards to Donnie.
This protective tone is first used in "Operation: Breakout" The way Leo acts in this moment you would think he's about to bite Raph's head off.

Leo: Why would Donnie try to rescue April's dad by himself?
Raph: (Somewhat sheepishly) Um...maybe because I told him he doesn't have a shot with April.
Leo: What?! WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT?!
Raph: Because he has no shot with April!
Leo: WELL YEAH...BUT YOU DON'T TELL HIM THAT!

As for this current version Rise of the TMNT. I don't find this series worth following. It's an okay watch, but it isn't my thing since it's often random nonsense.

What I do find interesting is that Donnie and Leo are twins in this version. It's never specifically said that they are twins, but the two of them are both 14 years old and they are brothers ergo twins. Before people start pointing out they are two different species of turtle so therefore they can't be twins. That just means they can't be the most common forms of twins. Since they are different species they obviously aren't identical. You can make an argument for fraternal since they are brothers and they both share Splinter's DNA. But even that argument can be a stretch.

However, there are other forms of twins that are less common. The most plausible forms of uncommon Fraternal twins that could work with these two are Super Fetucation, and Heteropaternal superfecundation.

Super Fetucation is when a mother becomes pregnant with a second child when she is already pregnant with a first.

This could be plausible because even though Donnie and Leo are 14, we don't know how much of a time gap is between them. So there could be as little as an hour or a couple of days between their hatching times.

Heteropaternal superfecundation is when a mother has twins, but each child in the set is the product of a different father.

This is also plausible since Leo is a Painted Turtle and Donnie is a Soft-shelled Turtle, and they do have Splinters DNA added to them as part of their mutation. Since Baron Draxum did say he mutated them 13 years prior that means Raph would have had to be the equivalent of a two-year-old in turtle years, both Donnie and Leo would have been around one, and Mikey would have been newly hatched.

Last edited by victory_angel; 09-21-2019 at 02:36 AM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #28
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Probably the one constant across TMNT media is that Raph found Mikey the most annoying so that could be your answer.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote