The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 08-11-2019, 05:48 AM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Why does Nintendo overcharge for NES games?

Super Mario Bros. take up 30 kB of data, it's primitive in execution and is light on content. In order to actually purchase a digital copy of it, you need to enter either the Wii U or 3DS eShop and pay 5 USD or Euro. You can also stream by subscribing to Switch online or buy it prepackaged with the NES mini, though neither is a much better deal.

I don't understand why Nintendo don't treat the major NES games like Microsoft treats minesweeper, the Switch could easily come with an NES emulator pre-loaded with 50 games and you'd still have space left for a lot of modern games that actually consume more than 1 MB of data.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 08-11-2019 at 07:00 AM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:56 AM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Wish I knew. Nintendo is my #1 but they make a lot of dumb/greedy/backwards decisions.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

NES and Super NES Classic Edition

There was a NES Classic Edition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NES_Classic_Edition

and a Super NES Classic Edition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_NES_Classic_Edition

released a few years ago.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
There was a NES Classic Edition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NES_Classic_Edition

and a Super NES Classic Edition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_NES_Classic_Edition

released a few years ago.
That's still not a good deal.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Wish I knew. Nintendo is my #1 but they make a lot of dumb/greedy/backwards decisions.
This. And tbh, we are also partly to blame for that. After all, they'd not do such practices if consumers didn't buy that stuff. Admittedly I bought SMW and SMB 3 and own them on the 3DS despite already owning the NES versions, Super Mario All Stars for the Wii and owning both games for the GBA as well. I just like having both SMW and SMB3 to play on the go.

However, slowly they seem to be improving. It sucks that you need to have an online subscription to access the NES games on the Switch, but at least you'll get dozens of them instead of having to buy them one by one. That being said, I've played a bit on my brother's Switch sometime ago and noticed that several of the NES games included are the kind of games that are super outdated and not fun to play for more than 15 minutes in 2019, namely the sports games. Plus it's missing classic NES games like the Mega man games, but ofc those aren't Nintendo games, so ofc they couldn't just make them part of the service.

Btw, will the Switch ever have SNES, GBA, N64, etc. games? I thought it was gonna have that? Say whatever you want about the Wii and the Wii U but the virtual console was awesome. Plus, it included Genesis, Neo Geo and Turbo Graphx games! But maybe with all those anthologies nowadays that's not gonna be necessary. For example, a lot of Genesis classics are available in that Sega Genesis collection game which is multiplatform. And now there's gonna be a TurboGraphix 16 mini console. But seems odd how the Switch doesn't have SNES or GBA games yet, will they ever add that?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
The Deadman
Foot Elite

I'm honestly not understanding the complaint here. You're saying 5 bucks is too much on the Virtual Console? Or that paying 4 bucks a month to play a bunch of NES games is too much?

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun 4: In Space (1996).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E5).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
I'm honestly not understanding the complaint here. You're saying 5 bucks is too much on the Virtual Console? Or that paying 4 bucks a month to play a bunch of NES games is too much?
I think on paper this pricing is fine. But the issue becomes that every time a new system is released, the old purchases that were made haven't carried over. So people end up buying the same NES/SNES games about five times. I have a bunch of NES purchases on my Wii, and I think those maybe carried over to the WiiU. But none of those carried over to Switch. And I have some of them on 3DS, too.

And then I also bought the NES and SNES minis. At this point I'm just counting on those for my NES/SNES gameplay.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:39 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I've been good with my emulators and ROMs since 2001. I already bought those games in the 80s and 90s.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Both, though I guess Switch online is the better deal since it also grants you online multiplayer for other games (which was free on DS, Wii, Wii U and 3DS). For an example there's one good thing about Nintendo abadonning Virtual Console, you can buy Switch has a port of MS-DOS Doom for about 5 bucks, if Nintendo still employed Virtual Console they'd have you buy the SNES port for 8. Buying all six NES Megaman games on Steam is about 13 Euro, meaning roughly 2 for each, which I'd still consider a bit steep. There are plenty of examples when it comes to better deals than Virtual Console or even Switch online.
Hahahaha!