The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 10-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #1
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Anyone use these

I am thinking about using these to put shelves along my wall instead of book shelves and the like. Has anyone used them.

https://www.amazon.com/Knape-Vogt-80...S8A7FFWXB4CC21

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
I am thinking about using these to put shelves along my wall instead of book shelves and the like. Has anyone used them.

https://www.amazon.com/Knape-Vogt-80...S8A7FFWXB4CC21
I've used shelf mounts like that on and off for decades now - as a kid I had oak (laminate) shelves like that in my room for storage on regular supports like those in your link, although at the time they were gold in color. I got away from them as my storage became more sophisticated. They are very basic. Now about the only place I use wall mounts with metal brackets and wood shelves is now and again in the garage.

They work fine - they are sort of a tried and true design for decades and decades now. Just install them into studs, use a level so they are straight and make sure that your shelf support is locked into the bracket itself all the way so that they are as strong as they are engineered to be. You'll be fine.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
mikey see
Mad Scientist

What IMJ said. They work great, they're just kinda basic and ugly. Our old house had a bunch already installed from the 70s and I made use of a couple for displays. They're quite sturdy and held a lot.

Check out IKEA's Lack shelves if you want something a little nicer looking. You'll definitely want to watch the load a bit with those but I've currently got four Lego modulars apiece on a couple and they hold just fine. Mount them in studs and you'll be set.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #4
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Count me as a third. They work. but they have limits. Using the style with
wall mounted rails in particular means that you will have to leave a gap at the back of every shelf along the wall. It can be very annoying when a figure slips down into that gap. If you don't care about the shelf being adjustable, you can get better options for shelf brackets. Personally, I have used ones like this. They aren't as strong, but far stronger than you need for action figures. They also don't require the shelf itself to be permanently attached, so you can swap different colors, lengths and depths. But the main advantage is that they are just very low visibility.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:16 PM   #5
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
wall mounted rails in particular means that you will have to leave a gap at the back of every shelf along the wall. It can be very annoying when a figure slips down into that gap.
This is a great point. But you know what you can do with that? Just cut a piece of furring strip to the length of the span that falls in between the wall supports. Tack the strip to the back of your shelf or hell use Gorilla glue. It will fill in the gap going to the wall.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:27 PM   #6
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Thanks for all the input. I'm glad to see that most people have had positive experiences. As far as looks I figure having one set of shelves that are all the same will look way better than my current hodgepodge of shelving. Also, the ability to adjust shelf height regularly is important as my collection is constantly changing, and with it my need for different height shelves. Do you think it would have possible to have shelves cut so that each one is one long continuous piece on each wall?

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote