The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think we'll see a Rise of the PLANTS again?
Oh yes 2 13.33%
No, probably not 6 40.00%
For the 100th time, there have NEVER and will never be plants here! 3 20.00%
No, but I want them to 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2017, 01:12 AM   #21
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit31 View Post
I might be the only one that doesn't understand what this thread is about. WHAT THE HECK ARE PLANTS IN THIS CONTEXT???
I didn't get it either at first I can't see they'd care to do it for this show, being aimed at a younger audience I mean....but then I'm new to this so I may be wrong.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #22
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Nah, plants are for movies.

But I do think we'll get another large influx of new wide-eyed members that are excited for the new show, eager to discuss their enthusiasm and interests. Only to be met with a wall of snarky cynics and arcane forum etiquette rules that will chase off the weak and only the strong remains
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm not sure we'll get that many new young teenage posters here either, nowadays millennials post about shows on their tumblrs or twitter. The young kids of today don't use traditional message boards like these anymore. There was a huge Nick TMNT following on tumblr mostly comprised of young teens, none of them ever came here. I'd expect the same for this show.

Forums like these are becoming like VHS tapes. They will probably all become obsolete or shut down within the next decade. The young hip kids of today post on social media, so you guys will eventually have to make the transition to tumblr and twitter to discuss the future of television and movies and videogames. No, I don't like it either but we're dinosaurs now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #24
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm not sure we'll get that many new young teenage posters here either, nowadays millennials post about shows on their tumblrs or twitter. The young kids of today don't use traditional message boards like these anymore. There was a huge Nick TMNT following on tumblr mostly comprised of young teens, none of them ever came here. I'd expect the same for this show.

Forums like these are becoming like VHS tapes. They will probably all become obsolete or shut down within the next decade. The young hip kids of today post on social media, so you guys will eventually have to make the transition to tumblr and twitter to discuss the future of television and movies and videogames. No, I don't like it either but we're dinosaurs now.
Well so long as the people on here are happy to stay and the Administrator want to run it...

If rise is a younger feel you may even get less teens interested. Course we don't know how much lighter and younger they mean yet, may just be a little (which is likely)
.... or we get the shocker announcement 'It will be airing on Nick Junior'
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #25
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Well, sorry if you didn't like them, but the rest of us enjoyed them very much.
Speak for yourself. Many of us on this site have plenty of problems with 2-5, while consider the first season leagues better. Obviously, there are plenty on here who like those seasons, but it certainly isn't the rest of us.

Message boards are definitely a dying breed, which is a shame for those of us who prefer this layout to the clusterf*ck that is the tumblr layout. However, that doesn't stop plants. We just got OotS last year and look how many that brought here. So long as this site remains one of the top results on search engines for "tmnt forum," we'll be getting some; probably not to the same extent as the movies, but when Rise releases, no matter if it's surprisingly great or hot garbage, we'll need some weed whacking.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #26
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTMNT2012 View Post
The first Season of Nick Turtles is literally the only legitimately good introspective medium of TMNT that you can show a complete stranger and not cringe to death.
I screened four whole episodes of FW season three to someone who came over to fix my computer and he loved it. He'd never seen any TMNT in his life.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
Speak for yourself. Many of us on this site have plenty of problems with 2-5, while consider the first season leagues better. Obviously, there are plenty on here who like those seasons, but it certainly isn't the rest of us..
That's not what I meant, I meant the vast majority of people enjoy the show as a whole, which is true. I'm rewatching Season 1 right now and while it is indeed great, it's mostly because everything is starting off and more "down to earth" so to speak before we had new mutants and tons of new characters.

Shredder only had Dogpound and Fishface as henchmen, Karai only shows up mid-season. We don't even get Tiger Claw till Season 2, Baxter doesn't officially start working for Shredder till the tail-end, and of course no Bebop/Rocksteady yet. Along with that and no Casey, no Mutanimals, and no other major characters, everything felt more "tightly-knit" so to speak.

The slow-burn approach of Season 1 worked well, but if it stayed that way the whole show would have been stagnant.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #28
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Quote:
That's not what I meant, I meant the vast majority of people enjoy the show as a whole, which is true.
This is factually and statistically false. The ratings for the show literally started plummeting after S1.

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #29
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I'm rewatching Season 1 right now and while it is indeed great, it's mostly because everything is starting off and more "down to earth" so to speak before we had new mutants and tons of new characters.

Shredder only had Dogpound and Fishface as henchmen, Karai only shows up mid-season. We don't even get Tiger Claw till Season 2, Baxter doesn't officially start working for Shredder till the tail-end, and of course no Bebop/Rocksteady yet. Along with that and no Casey, no Mutanimals, and no other major characters, everything felt more "tightly-knit" so to speak.

The slow-burn approach of Season 1 worked well, but if it stayed that way the whole show would have been stagnant.
More =/= better. People enjoy Season 1 for the level of writing it's on. Whether it be a funny line or exchange around every corner, characters being introduced through their actions and personality rather than "Donnie said smart thing so he's the smart one," a true dramatic edge that increases slowly throughout, or any other little thing I may be missing (maybe the stylistic choices that slowly began to fade away after this season), Season 1 offers so much more in terms of good writing than Season 2 can as a whole or Seasons 3-5 can on their best days. People don't enjoy TMNT for how many mutants/characters they can shove in. The opposite is actually contrary to Eastman/Laird's original vision.

All first seasons of shows with overarching plots have slow-burn approaches. It's very important when talking about the three-act system. The writing team for S1 would obviously have not done what they did for S1 over and over again for each subsequent season. Plots are expanded upon, characters are introduced. The reason why some people say S1 is the best is because they think S1 did those things better and if the same team had stayed, they would have been done better afterward.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:55 PM   #30
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
so you guys will eventually have to make the transition to tumblr and twitter to discuss the future of television and movies and videogames.
Eh, personally I think it's quite different segments of the fandom. One that older fans in particular may not necessarily ever end up joining. There seems to be a portion of younger fandom who have decided that fandom (and not just of TMNT) is primarily a source for getting attention, not just a collection of people who like a thing and want to talk about it. Places like Trumlr are an easier soapbox since people can have their own page, followers, get likes, etc. Forums are a shared space that doesn't typically have that. Sure, people can share their own art, etc here, but there is less of a soapbox; no thread really belongs to only one person. Attention is likely a big reason why much of that sort isn't on forums. (And short attention span for those who ONLY use Twitter and I guess have no interest in actual real discussion.)

With the current series ending and this next one possibly being made "younger," to be honest... I wouldn't be too sad if a lot of that particular "look at me" segment wanders off. Really kind of dislike that part of it has become that... And that is probably never going to meet the needs of plenty of the type of fans who prefer a forum.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-30-2017 at 02:01 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:56 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTMNT2012 View Post
This is factually and statistically false. The ratings for the show literally started plummeting after S1.
The ratings of the show have nothing to do with it's quality, what on earth are you talking about? The vast majority of kids these days watch the show online. The long breaks are also what killed interest, not anything to do with the series itself. Any TV show in existence also has declining ratings as it goes on for multiple seasons, what kind of logic is this? The kids who started watching the show in 2012 were teenagers by the time it ended, they likely also outgrew the series like most teens go through a, "cartoons are for kids" phase.

Do you think we're in the year 2002 or something? Episodes are uploaded to places like youtube (even if illegally), or other sites or to tumblr constantly. Or officially by Nick on their site. Ratings of shows on TV do not mean much these days when people watch series online. The first season of almost any series generally has higher ratings because casuals check it out, out of curiosity and then drop it as it goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
More =/= better. People enjoy Season 1 for the level of writing it's on. Whether it be a funny line or exchange around every corner, characters being introduced through their actions and personality rather than "Donnie said smart thing so he's the smart one," a true dramatic edge that increases slowly throughout, or any other little thing I may be missing (maybe the stylistic choices that slowly began to fade away after this season), Season 1 offers so much more in terms of good writing than Season 2 can as a whole or Seasons 3-5 can on their best days. People don't enjoy TMNT for how many mutants/characters they can shove in. The opposite is actually contrary to Eastman/Laird's original vision.
I know what you're saying, but I never saw this huge gap in quality at all. To each their own I suppose.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #32
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The ratings of the show have nothing to do with it's quality, what on earth are you talking about? The vast majority of kids these days watch the show online. The long breaks are also what killed interest, not anything to do with the series itself. Any TV show in existence also has declining ratings as it goes on for multiple seasons, what kind of logic is this? The kids who started watching the show in 2012 were teenagers by the time it ended, they likely also outgrew the series like most teens go through a, "cartoons are for kids" phase.

Do you think we're in the year 2002 or something? Episodes are uploaded to places like youtube (even if illegally), or other sites or to tumblr constantly. Or officially by Nick on their site. Ratings of shows on TV do not mean much these days when people watch series online. The first season of almost any series generally has higher ratings because casuals check it out, out of curiosity and then drop it as it goes on.
That wouldn't happen if the show remained, y'know, good and still resonated with them.

That's why S1 had consistently good ratings and why Avatar: The Last Airbender rose in ratings as it went along and got better and better. (Korra's quality is universally debatable so that's why that show's rating went down after S1 as well even though I personally loved all of it.)

Shows like SpongeBob innately attract toddlers with its amateurish visuals so that's irrelevant.

Fav Comic - IDW Series
Old 09-30-2017, 03:18 PM   #33
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

How credible are ratings these days though?
I mean, given how many different ways people could be viewing content.

While I don't deny that Avatar was a superior show in just about every way, it also had the benefit of being a thing before streaming became an option.

Ratings are a measure of how many people are watching a thing in a given viewing window, not how many people have watched a thing.

Has the rating system been updated to account for streaming?
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:01 PM   #34
Kit31
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I screened four whole episodes of FW season three to someone who came over to fix my computer and he loved it. He'd never seen any TMNT in his life.
Season 3 was by far my favorite season in that show, too.
Kit31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:31 PM   #35
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
How credible are ratings these days though?
I mean, given how many different ways people could be viewing content.

While I don't deny that Avatar was a superior show in just about every way, it also had the benefit of being a thing before streaming became an option.

Ratings are a measure of how many people are watching a thing in a given viewing window, not how many people have watched a thing.

Has the rating system been updated to account for streaming?
Streaming was a thing during Turtles S1 tho.

Fav Comic - IDW Series
Old 09-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord

Ratings don't mean much nowadays. As I said we're not in 2005 anymore. Most kids watch the show online or on youtube.

I guarantee you the 2018 shows ratings will not be any different even if the show is amazingly written. Ratings don't affect quality of something.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:01 AM   #37
ctt4lfecw
Stone Warrior

Well I don't know about plants. But I know I'll be there when the new show airs to see what it's about to give it a chance. Quite frankly the 2012 show is going to be a hard act to follow for me. Because it was a great series in my opinion.
ctt4lfecw is offline   Reply With Quote