The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 09-04-2020, 04:05 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

Some comparisons already, left is the Switch remaster and right is the N64 original. They're definitely improving the graphics a little while keeping the same general look of the original.

Sunshine and Galaxy should also look great in HD.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #22
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
https://i.redd.it/92qe5r90xyk51.png

Some comparisons already, left is the Switch remaster and right is the N64 original. They're definitely improving the graphics a little while keeping the same general look of the original.

Sunshine and Galaxy should also look great in HD.
I guess you're right about it looking better? At least in a technical sense. Though low-poly is still low poly. SM64 isn't some indie title that uses low poly as a stylistic choice and/or cost saver, it's low poly because it's one of the earliest 3D games ever made.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

Super Mario 64's graphics still look fine though. It doesn't need to be re-done in Odyssey style graphics because it'd lose all the charm and identity of the original. I'm glad it's not getting a full blown remake, the art style is what I associate with Mario 64 and it would take away all the nostalgia of the original.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #24
neatoman
Emperor

Well, there is one thing to look forward to with this rerelease and that's the camerea. The Wii U rerelease just mapped the C-buttons to the right stick and it was frustrating to move the camera as such. If this one actually lets you have analogue camera control, then that would be golden.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:37 PM   #25
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Since SM64 has been rereleased before it definitely should have gotten a true graphics upgrade to match the others. That was part of the point of the old All Stars. Cleaner edges and higher resolution is not enough anymore.

The Game and Watch is cute but $50 is too expensive for 2 NES games that are available everywhere. The Classic/Mini was $60 (assuming you bought it at the retail price) and has 30 games.

I’m only interested in 3D World +. Always wanted it for WiiU but this is the obvious choice now. I would like Galaxy but as mentioned already they’re probably gonna release them individually. Maybe part 2 also.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:06 AM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Since SM64 has been rereleased before it definitely should have gotten a true graphics upgrade to match the others. That was part of the point of the old All Stars. Cleaner edges and higher resolution is not enough anymore.
Agreed. This is bullsh** on Mario 64. "The graphics had a charm," blah blah... no, they could have taken it up a few notches. Just sharpening up old, blocky polygons without actually improving them/the polygon count just makes things look worse, I've seen. Like with the FF VIII and IX remaster.

Mostly I'll just buy this for Mario Sunshine.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-06-2020 at 01:16 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:11 AM   #27
Galactus
Foot Elite

The N64 is one of my favourite consoles ever but frankly compared to what was being put out on the PlayStation you could see the graphics were not even impressive for the time. Sure Mario being very cartoon-like it was less of an issue than it was in say Zelda which at the time was supposed to look 'real' but it's still jarring.

If they could update the aesthetics for the release on the DS to look like a then modern game they could have done it here.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:37 AM   #28
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
If they were gonna go through all that effort, they would sell it by itself at full price.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:58 AM   #29
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
If they were gonna go through all that effort, they would sell it by itself at full price.
They did it with the NES games when they did the original Super Mario All Stars bringing the graphics and audio to 16 Bit standard. I don't think it was unrealistic to expect something similar.

I've seen some people speculate they do have 'proper' remasters of 64 on the way to explain why this is only getting a limited release but I don't really see that as plausible myself.

Nintendo's whole business strategy with the Switch, NES and SNES minis and now this is basically what people thought Cartman inadvertently hit on when he ran his theme park.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

If they were all getting full remakes each of them would be sold separately for $60. Obviously this is just an HD upgrade.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:14 AM   #31
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Super Mario 64's graphics still look fine though. It doesn't need to be re-done in Odyssey style graphics because it'd lose all the charm and identity of the original. I'm glad it's not getting a full blown remake, the art style is what I associate with Mario 64 and it would take away all the nostalgia of the original.
Yeah, I agree with you. Even to this day, I still think 64 looks good.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:32 PM   #32
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
They did it with the NES games when they did the original Super Mario All Stars bringing the graphics and audio to 16 Bit standard. I don't think it was unrealistic to expect something similar.

I've seen some people speculate they do have 'proper' remasters of 64 on the way to explain why this is only getting a limited release but I don't really see that as plausible myself.

Nintendo's whole business strategy with the Switch, NES and SNES minis and now this is basically what people thought Cartman inadvertently hit on when he ran his theme park.

Nintendo was competing with Sega at the time. Nintendo currently has a niche in the market which is why they never drop their prices. If you're buying a Switch, it's not as a substitute to Playstation or Xbox, and Nintendo knows this. This is why they can afford to keep their prices up and treat their games as premium products. You can't really expect them to remake or extensively remaster Mario 64 and sell it as part of a compilation. It sucks, but if anyone can get away with it, it's Nintendo, because what else are you gonna do? Not play their games? As disappointing as it may be, I still think you're getting a fair value with the collection. 20 bucks a game. Can't really complain about that.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also remaking 2D games like Mario 1-3 in All-stars graphics is obviously not the same as remaking graphics for huge 20+ hour games like all the 3D Mario games are.

It takes roughly 20 or more hours to get all the stars in each 3D Mario, so it's a huge undertaking to remake all the worlds completely in modern graphics. Sunshine and Galaxy should look good in HD, I still remember how Galaxy look impressive on the Wii back in 2007 compared to PS3/360 games at the time.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #34
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Mario 64 graphics is considered iconic, it doesn't need to be remade. Back in the 90s retrogaming and pixelart were not a thing and this is why they decided to remake the graphics of mario bros 1-3 for the all-stars collection. Now it's different, you can sell old games as they are, as an important piece of hystory.

Last edited by frank_one; 09-06-2020 at 03:43 PM.
frank_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #35
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

I think the graphics should be the same. Now that I am playing the Link's awakening remake, I think the graphics look kinda of "off" compare to the gameboy.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:12 PM   #36
Galactus
Foot Elite

The Link's Awakening remake was praised for it's visual aesthetic. Ocarina of Time 3D was seen as a near perfect realisation of what the game should have looked if it. I don't think the polygons and wonky camera of the original are so iconic that it couldn't be be updated to a modern standard.

I get Nintendo's business reasons for not doing it but I'm just saying they should have done it.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:02 PM   #37
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Super Mario 64 has been ported digitally with enhancements and on DS with extras. By now this SHOULD have been updated with modernized graphics. Especially in the context of an anniversary compilation.

It has nothing to do with nostalgia or the N64 graphics being iconic. Those versions are widely available. Its about giving people a significant reason to play the game again.

It would not have been too difficult either. It’s been done to other fully 3D games. All 3 original Spyro games did it.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:30 PM   #38
Leo656
The Franchise

The fact that Super Mario 64 is a ton of fun no matter what it looks like is a good enough "reason for people to play it again." Also the reason why the original N64 cartridge version is the only one I own or have ever played.

"Waaaaaah, I can only play old games if they're pretty!" You people make me sick!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:04 AM   #39
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Again, Anniversary and has already been rereleased in N64 format.

New graphics are a totally reasonable expectation given its been done so well by others.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:11 AM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I mean, nothing crazy was needed. Up the resolution, obviously (which they did)... but when you do that, you need to also up the polygon count or it's going to look sh**.

Kind of like when you watch one of these old 4:3 TV shows from the 80s and 90s that you used to watch on your old tube TV come to 1080p blu-ray (or Netflix, or whatever) and suddenly all of the little mistakes and dirty spots and this and that all come to the forefront with crystal clarity on your 65" 4K screen. It's distracting.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote