The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #21
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Is that how you're going to begin converting people to 1.5?

I can't do it, I'd rather wait a few months until I have time, I don't think I would enjoy the show that way. I can't even do 1.5 on podcasts consistently and a lot of that is just day to day news fodder that is only meant to be information taken in and not really "to enjoy". If I'm going to watch those mediocre DC shows then dammit, I will do it with my "full attention".

I say "full attention" because the only way I can marathon shows is if I'm also working on something else on my laptop at the same time. It's not great since my productivity lowers exponentially and/or I miss details from the show (like bradford's second death) which I missed.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #22
Allio
Foot Elite

Truest the only way to enjoy a film is .25 x just really let the film sink in as you lose your sanity
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #23
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Wouldn't it be three fourths of the time?
Actually, would it be 2/3's the time? Cause wouldn't it be that you would take an hour and a half long movie divided by 1.5. So you would take 90 minutes X 2/3 and you get 60? I don't know, is anyone here a math teacher?
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #24
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
Actually, would it be 2/3's the time? Cause wouldn't it be that you would take an hour and a half long movie divided by 1.5. So you would take 90 minutes X 2/3 and you get 60? I don't know, is anyone here a math teacher?
Whoops, you're right.

If I have a 60 mile drive and I go 60 mph I'll get there in one hour. If I go 90 mph I'll get there in 40 minutes.

I had to think about it in terms of driving to make sense of it
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

I just watched a 1 hour and 46 minute movie in a grand total of 1 hour and 2 minutes. That means I saved myself 44 minutes just by watching at 1.5 speed for the regular span of the movie, and sometimes switching to 2.0 speed during the silent scenes with no dialogue when the characters were just walking around or staring at computer screens or sitting around.

44 minutes of FREE TIME that you can use to either watch something else or do whatever. I can't believe I didn't think of this to this year, I can now marathon double the amount of shows or movies in half the time.

What a time to be alive.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #26
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Cubed you could also use caffeine pills to stay up all night, that would be a whole EIGHT to TEN HOURS OF FREE TIME TO WATCH MORE MOVIES!!!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #27
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I wish your life would go 1.5 times speed.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #28
Allio
Foot Elite

being in this man's mind must be some kind of drug
Old 11-07-2017, 10:08 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

In all seriousness since the beginning of 2017, I literally watched through nearly 300-400 movies, and a bunch of TV shows, just by watching at 1.5 speed.

And it's not like I'm spending all my free time doing this either, only a couple hours a day. You'll be surprised how much media you can consume like this.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:28 PM   #30
newfan
Mad Scientist

Do you sleep?

Seriously though, you obviously love your movies and shows, if that doesn't ruin them for you then that's for you.
I't not something I can imagine would appeal to me
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:00 AM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Online streaming media has worked wonders. Back in the day you had to fidget with VHS or DVDs or whatever, or watch a show at a certain time on TV with commercials.

In the modern year of 2017, you don't have to do any of that anymore. And as I said, if you want to marathon a show that went on for many seasons or has hundreds of episodes....it's a great way to watch through a show quickly.

I mean just think about all the shows or movies you've watched in the past. Thinking about rewatching them is no small feat, especially if you're a fan of dozens of shows and hundreds of movies...you need to make the free time to watch them all. So rather than simply skipping them or not, 1.5 speed work wonders.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #32
newfan
Mad Scientist

I still watch live TV for new series when I don't grab on catch-up.

One of my favourites is in it's 13th season, which would be a big marathon but still, I can spread it out, should I ever re-visit when it finishes.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #33
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I went down the dark path and tried watching a movie in 1.5 speed, here are my impressions:

*It works decently well for the most part, much better and natural than I would've thought.

* Voices are distorted a bit but not as much as 1.5 speed podcasts for some odd reason.

*The best improvement is repetitive scenes or when they're doing something "slow" you really get the benefit

*The worst part is action scenes and when "fast" stuff happens since you don't get to appreciate it, especially in a fight scene.

*Comedy is sometimes improved by having the obvious punchline delivered quicker and sometimes against it when it's more subtle comedy.

In podcasting for me 1.2 speed is the sweet spot since it saves you time but the voices still sound natural, gets rid of the silent parts and you can get all the information without any problem while 1.5 you need to pay a little more attention since it goes faster. It's natural and you only really notice the extra speed in a few segments. In 1.5 you definitely notice it.

So maybe I'll try 1.2 speed in a movie next, still I think it's blasphemous to do it on something that's not a podcast and feel like I've sinned. My question is, is it better to just watch a movie at 1.5 speed or multi task and watch a movie on normal speed while browsing the web/work which is what I usually do and I end up missing more than just a few scenes here and there.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

As I said, after a while you don't notice a difference and don't really tell the characters are speaking faster. During action scenes or fight scenes, I do slow down the speed to 1.25 or normal speed during Jackie Chan or martial arts scenes...because as said action scenes go by too fast and you actually want to see the martial arts.

But when characters are just standing around talking or nothing is going on, I have to have it at 1.5 speed. Last night I watched a 2 hour movie in 1 hour and 32 minutes. I just saved myself some time.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #35
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I gave this a shot but I could totally tell; everything felt off. Maybe it would be better with a different media player but I probably won't try it again

#NotForMe
Old 01-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #36
ABrown
Banned

ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #37
Antrax
Hench Mutant

I watch a lot of shows at 2x speed. My mind tends to wander watching the DC CW shows a regular speed but sped up I don't have that problem. My favorite shows I watch normally. I think listening to podcasts at that speed is what got me used to it.
Antrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antrax View Post
I watch a lot of shows at 2x speed. My mind tends to wander watching the DC CW shows a regular speed but sped up I don't have that problem. My favorite shows I watch normally. I think listening to podcasts at that speed is what got me used to it.
2x is too fast, I can only do that during silent scenes where characters are just walking down a slow hallway or something.

1.5x speed you can understand their lines perfectly, I don't even notice a difference. I do slow the speed to 1.25 during action or fight scenes though because I like to see what's going on.

If you ever want to marathon shows with hundreds of episodes or seasons, this is a great way to do it.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #39
Powder
So tired of this place

I love you Cybercubed.

I do this sometimes too. Doesn't always work, but is sometimes pretty handy.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

I notice it doesn't work as well with animation. Like with cartoons/anime. I guess because they're hand drawn and weren't made to watched sped up, it only works with live-action.

Tags
cubed monkeys around