The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #21
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Still, though... a little closure would be nice. I wonder if Sakai has a final ending in mind?
Senso was kind of an ending. Or at least a possible future timeline ending.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

*looks at preview pages*

Looks like Usagi is having to pull punches at IDW? Isn't he usually lopping off hands and arms and heads, that sort of thing?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #23
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
*looks at preview pages*

Looks like Usagi is having to pull punches at IDW? Isn't he usually lopping off hands and arms and heads, that sort of thing?
Didn't seem too toned down. I mean, he killed a guy on the first page. Maybe in the 80s usagi had a little more... dismemberment, but the death and gore has always been pretty cartoony.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
Didn't seem too toned down. I mean, he killed a guy on the first page.
Did he? It just looks like he is smacking them around with his sword. Or is there a different first page than what's in the preview?

Quote:
Maybe in the 80s usagi had a little more... dismemberment, but the death and gore has always been pretty cartoony.
Sure, but I remember it being like Groo... not a lot of/any blood, but a lot of limbs flying frequently. Or did Sakai stop doing that later on in his run?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #25
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Did he? It just looks like he is smacking them around with his sword. Or is there a different first page than what's in the preview?
Yeah, anytime there's a skull in a speech bubble it denotes death. The Sakai Guarantee.

Quote:
Sure, but I remember it being like Groo... not a lot of/any blood, but a lot of limbs flying frequently. Or did Sakai stop doing that later on in his run?
It's been a few years since I've read any Usagi (except for Senso which was admittedly pretty violent, but kind of a special case)... but for the most part I don't remember too many limbs flying in the last decade or so. Mostly just a lot of "oofs" and "urks" and skull-balloons galore! It's kind of fascinating how violent a comic it can be and still straddles the family-friendly zone.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #26
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Some of the very early stories had blood spurts and severed heads, but it's mostly toned down from that since the late 80s. As noted, if you see the skull in a bubble, the character is dead.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #27
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Some of the very early stories had blood spurts and severed heads, but it's mostly toned down from that since the late 80s. As noted, if you see the skull in a bubble, the character is dead.
i thought those skulls within word bubbles signifying mortal expiration were pretty neat.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #28
Allio
Foot Elite

Now that I think about it, isn't it only the Archie Turtles that never met Usagi?
Old 07-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Now that I think about it, isn't it only the Archie Turtles that never met Usagi?
Yep. Oddly enough Stan Sakai drew one of the Archie specials stories, the one with Headrush. But Usagi did not appear.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #30
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Them and all the movie turtles, yup.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:26 PM   #31
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Here's my full summary and review of TMNT/Usagi Yojimbo #1 at TMNT Entity.

Man, 24 years since the last real comics crossover between these two (not counting those pin-ups in the back of Tales). I hope we don't have to wait that long to get another.

While the 40 pages went by quick, I always feel like I get my money's worth out of Sakai's artwork. The battle scenes are always fun to go over with care because there's so much energy in the body language and layouts; I love seeing how all the blows connect and which ones landed are "killer" and which ones aren't. It's just good comics.

Enjoying this big TMNT/Usagi multimedia push we're getting at the moment, with comics, cartoons and toys. I've a feeling it'll be over soon since the cartoon's on its way out, so I'm gonna savor it while I can.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #32
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT/Usagi Yojimbo #1 at TMNT Entity.

Man, 24 years since the last real comics crossover between these two (not counting those pin-ups in the back of Tales). I hope we don't have to wait that long to get another.

While the 40 pages went by quick, I always feel like I get my money's worth out of Sakai's artwork. The battle scenes are always fun to go over with care because there's so much energy in the body language and layouts; I love seeing how all the blows connect and which ones landed are "killer" and which ones aren't. It's just good comics.

Enjoying this big TMNT/Usagi multimedia push we're getting at the moment, with comics, cartoons and toys. I've a feeling it'll be over soon since the cartoon's on its way out, so I'm gonna savor it while I can.
I like how the comic debuted in-between the two parter with Usagi in the Nicktoin.

Did it read way too fast for anyone else? It seemed quick and to the point with little dialogue.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's how most Usagi comics read, besides a few of them that are dialogue heavy like the police mystery ones with the inspector.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:20 AM   #34
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
*looks at preview pages*

No, not really. I've been following the series for some time, and while Usagi does kill a lot of bandits and ruffians, there haven't been a lot of severed limbs or heads, though there have been a few, when the story called for it. Sakai represents death in the comic with the little cartoon skull coming from the dead warriors Usagi has killed. This comic has never really been that graphic. The dark and mature themes comes from the storytelling, like a rich man's mother murdering him because he treats his employees and servants wickedly, then the mother asking Usagi to kill her; the whole thing takes place off-panel, making the scene more powerful.

But no, the Usagi Yojimbo comics have never really been as graphic as, say Mirage TMNT, though the themes can be just as dark. This here in the crossover is just about how graphic the comic gets most of the time, though occasionally we might get a severed limb or head, and usually it's more catoony looking.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:51 PM   #35
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortock Diab View Post
A pleasant issue to read: good team-up, Sakai art in colour, Japanese background, references to past issues and a glimpse of the multiverse.

I only wish more was addressed regarding the multiverse and the possible implications.
IDW Turtles do not explore the fact that Usagi knows another version of them.
Don't they mind?
Mmm, while very enjoyable, it felt a bit rushed, especially due to all of that potential being pointed out yet not touched upon. But overall a cool read with great art typical of Master Sakai.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #36
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

It seems like the IDW Turtles are always on the fringe of finding out about their alternate versions, but they're always one step removed. Like in Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything, they meet the same Savanti Romero that fought the Mirage Turtles and we even get a flashback to the Mirage Turtles, but the IDW TMNT never meet them. And in the TMNT/Usagi Yojimbo one-shot, they meet a character who knows the Mirage Turtles quite well, but again, still haven't met their progenitors.

They probably never will; I think Curnow has said that he doesn't want to do anything direct with the Mirage TMNT out of respect. But we might get more of these "ships passing in the night" moments.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #37
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Renet outright tells them that there's more than one version of themselves, though.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:13 PM   #38
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
They probably never will; I think Curnow has said that he doesn't want to do anything direct with the Mirage TMNT out of respect. But we might get more of these "ships passing in the night" moments.
i really like Bobby's way of thinking on this.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:48 PM   #39
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

So I finally managed to get this issue.
I know; pretty late to the game, but I'm just happy I was able to get it at all.

It was good.
I honestly expected it to be better since it's the first time in years that Usagi's crossovered with any version of the TMNT. The story felt kind of short (and I don't think it justifies the increased price) and I'm a bit disappointed we didn't get to see more personal interactions between Usagi and the guys. And they sort of glossed over the fact that Usagi suddenly met new versions of his friends (a small mention and a quick tussle wasn't exactly enough). But Sakai's art was as great as it always is, and Jei is still the same character I like, so it definitely has that going for it.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #40
Bruz
Random Punk

I liked it as far as Stan Sakai’s style goes, but I think we need one more IDW TMNT/Usagi crossover, this time by the IDW writers/artists.

Every crossover has Sakai’s complete control it seems. I’d love to see Usagi drawn by one of the main IDW illustrators and involved in a story in the turtles world, instead of them being dragged back to his world (again).
Bruz is offline   Reply With Quote