The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #21
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
People were pulling their kids from their classes at my school, and that was in Texas. So yeah, alarm was all over the place.
The only thing that was done here was doubling the security at airports as a preventive measure. It was done all over Europe. They put cops outside the airports only allowing you in if you were a passenger. People who had to go to the airport that day to pick up something stuck in customs didn't have much luck, from what I've heard.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:14 PM   #22
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Yeah we had a lot of business and school/government closings that day here in Texas and everywhere else.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:38 PM   #23
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I was 17 or 18 at the time. I remember we had taken a trip a day or 2 before. Not in a plane. Just a couple hours drive from where we live. I had just gotten Crazy Taxi 2 on Dreamcast. I think I played it the night before. I usually sleep pretty late so I didn't know about anything until later from all the news on TV.

I wasn't overly scared or anything but creeped out because I didn't know exactly how going to war worked or if it was some invasion.

To be honest I don't like that it's brought up so much every year. There's always documentaries or tv specials coming on. It's a tad glorified now imo. Every September it's a thing. How much more can you say 10-16 years later?
Old 09-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I was 17 or 18 at the time. I remember we had taken a trip a day or 2 before. Not in a plane. Just a couple hours drive from where we live. I had just gotten Crazy Taxi 2 on Dreamcast. I think I played it the night before. I usually sleep pretty late so I didn't know about anything until later from all the news on TV.

I wasn't overly scared or anything but creeped out because I didn't know exactly how going to war worked or if it was some invasion.

To be honest I don't like that it's brought up so much every year. There's always documentaries or tv specials coming on. It's a tad glorified now imo. Every September it's a thing. How much more can you say 10-16 years later?
I don't think it's talked about as much as it was in the following 3-4 years after it happened, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #25
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I don't think it's talked about as much as it was in the following 3-4 years after it happened, but I could be wrong.
No you're right. Definitely not that much but still some. The History channel has rerun documentaries from recent years and a new one about everything leading up to it. I just think...is another tv special necessary?

Plus the movies that were made. Some not that long after.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:59 AM   #26
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

I was in highschool in Canada at the time. Lots of schoolmates were in tears, others were developing their own conspiracies behind the whole thing before even the second tower fell. What I mostly remember was how little I felt, and how I wondered if something was wrong with me. So I played the part and pretended to be sad and stuff when really it just felt like another day to me.

Then I went home to celebrate my dads birthday but he didn't want to do anything but keep up on the news, so, I just stayed in my room and listened to music. I specifically remember listening to a Dark Lotus song where the chorus goes "Mass murder makes me happy! Dead Bodies make me happy!" and remember feeling a bit sick at it, so I turned it off. That small little act made me realize maybe I wasn't broken, and I went downstairs and watched the news with my dad for the rest of the night.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:27 AM   #27
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Sadly one of the dangers of being a social species with a worldwide population of billions. Hard to perfectly weed out all the awful, crazy ones who want to do awful things. Most of us, I would assume, just go about living hoping that most other humans around us don't mean us any harm... Don't really have any other choice.
Yes and no. The problem is more people screaming to stop labeling scumbags, scumbags. I hope there isn't "bad guys" around, but when I'm out and about, I people watch. Its amazing how many people go about their day with their faces turned down at phones or otherwise oblivious to whats going on around them.

Quote:
Tbh terrorism was already a big issue years before 9/11. More people died of terrorists attacks in Europe back in the 70s and in the 80s than since 9/11. Difference is, back then the terrorists were committed by radical political organisations, usually far-left and far-right. But around the turn of the century the enemy became Islamic terrorism. And it's a lot easier to hate an enemy that is different from us in culture and religious beliefs.
Islam isn't religion. Its an entire political system that includes the cult that passes for religion. It has to do with every single bit of their way of life and their laws. If you've ever read all or parts of their hellspawned book of evil....

Social media has also made communication near instant which most times doesn't help.... if you ever played that game as a kid where you sit in a circle and one person whispers a sentence to the kid next to them and then that person repeats in to the person next to them.... what gets back to the first person is never the same. Yet folks believe all of what they hear on the news, be it left leaning or right sometimes.

I'm also sure at least one person will be pissed off, raging mad at what I've written here... Never fails.

The good that came from 9/11 was a united America... at least for a time. It will happen again, people will die, again and then we will come together almost as before.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #28
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Believe it or not, I sometimes forget 9/11 happened.
If it weren't for threads like this or people reminding me, I'd never even think about it.
Quote:
I usually don't remember it either. I just happened to remember this year for some reason.
I don't see how anyone could forget. Now, I have a friend who has a birthday today. Unfortunately, she's one of those people who'll always remember it that way.

I was actually supposed to go to Manhattan that morning to turn in a job application. I wouldn't have been anywhere near the World Trade Center, but all that commotion still had an impact on how the trains were running. So I probably wouldn't have gotten back home for a long while.

Imagine flying on September 11th nowadays. I actually flew to Texas on that date in 2010, and from Florida back to New York in 2012. It was kind of trippy.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #29
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I was a senior in high school when this happened. I had just walked into my Economics class and noticed the TV was on. I turned to my teacher and asked, "What's going on?" He answered, "A plane just hit the World Trade Center." We sat and watched the footage and saw the second plane hit. It was a devastating day for me and a year later, I had just started college and we had a memorial for it. I had to leave in the middle of it for class, but I remember crying throughout because I remember how sad it was. On the day it happened, we just sat and watched the news the whole day and didn't do any school work or anything.

The next day, my Econ teacher took us out and had us look up at the sky where no planes were flying.

I don't think this is something we will ever or should ever forget in our history. Terrorism will always be out there and has always been out there, but it has become more prevalent since Sept. 11.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #30
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I don't see how anyone could forget. Now, I have a friend who has a birthday today. Unfortunately, she's one of those people who'll always remember it that way.

I was actually supposed to go to Manhattan that morning to turn in a job application. I wouldn't have been anywhere near the World Trade Center, but all that commotion still had an impact on how the trains were running. So I probably wouldn't have gotten back home for a long while.

Imagine flying on September 11th nowadays. I actually flew to Texas on that date in 2010, and from Florida back to New York in 2012. It was kind of trippy.
Imagine being the pilot of the plane that hit one of those buildings whose friend had seniority and bumped him from that flight, trading one life for another. Pastor at a church I attended a few times was supposed to fly that plane.... his buddy decided he wanted it the night before, or early that morning. Not sure which now... but to know you were supposed to be there but were spared...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #31
DWC
Banned

I was 19 and at home, had been out that morning to buy a CD, then fell asleep. I'm in Europe.

I just remember watching it that night on television then going to get the papers the next day. I was pretty distraught - honestly,. I think it's the thing that took away my innocence.

RIP to all those who lost their lives.
DWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #32
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I was 15 in secondary school at that time. Didn't find out what had happened until I went home. I watched a bit of the attacks on news reports on tv, but didn't pay much attention to 9/11, to be honest, as it didn't really affect me. Remember watching the second last episode of Spiderman Unlimited on the same day. Didn't realise just how bad the attacks were until years later.

Last edited by Wesley; 09-12-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #33
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I came in just as the last tower fell. I was in college then but didn't have any classes that day, and worked afternoon so I slept in. I don't really remember being scared, just sad for all those lost/affected. I do remember others being scared though. It was sort of ominous not seeing any jet streams or planes in the sky. I remember watching that special they did a year or two ago about stopping all the planes. At the end it said they considered coming up with procedure for doing it again, but felt it would just inhibit the flight controllers ability to get it done.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #34
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Not until the manhunt following the Marathon Bombing had I ever heard Boston so quiet as it was that day.

We were under Code Triage, expecting an influx of wounded to arrive.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #35
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

13 Questions for the U.S. Government on the Anniversary of 9/11
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #36
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

There's no footage of the plane hitting the Pentagon because there wasn't a camera crew there like there was for the WTC, but you saw the smoke from the blast and the wreckage of the plane in Shanksville.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #37
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

The pot head is a conspiracy theorist. Go figure.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #38
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

The Catholic believes whatever authority figures tell him, go figure
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #39
Prowler
Emperor

I don't believe 9/11 was an inside job. They'd need to have tons of people on their payroll to keep it an eternal secret. Also, do you have any idea how many people and explosives you need to demolish rather short buildings? Imagine how many people and explosives you'd need to demolish two giant skyscrapers. They'd have to plan them for weeks and possibly months before doing it... and no one would notice a thing?

As for WTC7 collapsing, I think the explanation was that the debris of the two building near it and added fire damaged its structures or something like that. Might look strange but I'm not structural engineer.

Also, steal beams don't need to melt, all they have to do is weaken to bend. The WTC might have been designed with the possibility of plane crashes in mind, but back when it was designed airplanes like the ones that hit it didn't exist yet. Not to mention they didn't crash into the buildings by accident. No one in the 60s-70s or whenever the buildings were originally projected would think someday terrorists would fly big planes into buildings.

The biggest question is, how did US security screw up so badly and allowed this to happen? That's the biggest thing, imo.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #40
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
The pot head is a conspiracy theorist. Go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
The Catholic believes whatever authority figures tell him, go figure
Woah, love you both. Let's not fight.

As for your photo Ganj, a lot of the Pentagon stuff makes sense: http://www.snopes.com/rumors/pentagon.asp

This was before everyone was walking around with a smartphone too.

Building 7 is interesting but I've read debunking articles. I'll link later if I can.

And as per my understanding, the buildings collapsed because the ongoing jet fuel fire was so hot that it weakened crucial support beams. I'll have to look into the other points brought up though.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mrmagaczaps