The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #21
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

The company stated that this was an internal decision and people are still bugging out? Maybe they are trying to be more inclusive because they are sick of the FGC being so vitriolic.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #22
sdp
Megan Fox = April

It bothers me that they censured their own game and they caved into pressure of idiots. Now I'm not even a big fan of the serialization of Street Fighter, I always thought SF was more subtle with its sexualizing (well as subtle as Cammy in SSFII was able to be) but starting with SFIV they started going the route other fighting games did which is a shame and SFV is full blown DOA/Mortal Kombat/Soul Calibour level of fan service and it rubs me the wrong way, that's not what I expect from SF. But even then I still feel annoyed that they caved into pressure to censure their own stuff I don't know why, I guess it's the principle. Why don't they cave into pressure and make a very different SFV. I mean the outfits themselves are far more slutty and offensive than the actual buttslap so why is that being censored, Cammy's outfit has become ridiculous and so has the other females so why is slightly changing the camera angle to not feature so much of the costumes they themselves designed. Either design different costumes or show them off.

This whole Feminism vs anti-feminism is so annoying from both sides, I don't even know which side is dumber.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #23
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PangolinFeets View Post
The company stated that this was an internal decision and people are still bugging out? Maybe they are trying to be more inclusive because they are sick of the FGC being so vitriolic.
Exactly -- the game's producer flat-out said it was an internal decision and had nothing to do with outside influences. Plain as day. But that doesn't fit the outraged Gator narrative, so doubling down on conspiracy theories it is!

Also worth noting: a company choosing to change the content of their product is not, and can never be, censorship.

This is a total non-issue and changes nothing about the gameplay. It's so weird that some people actually care so much about a tiny, minor detail. Gaming is not under siege by "extremists" because some companies are trying to cater to more customers than one very specific demographic. That's just capitalism. Games are fine. Everything is fine. Relax.

Last edited by Bry; 12-11-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #24
Powder
So tired of this place

Why on earth would they admit to caving in due to SJW pressure? That'd just encourage more of it.

If it's such a non-issue, then there's no need to criticize those who think it is.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Old 12-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #25
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Oh, lordy.

Where's this supposed "SJW pressure"? Seriously, do a Google search for "R Mika Street Fighter V". I'm sure there's been some criticism somewhere, but the outrage is overwhelmingly coming from the other direction -- pages and pages of gamers freaking out about "censorship" and cooking up conspiracy theories.

Hell, they didn't even technically remove the taunt -- they just changed the shot to focus on her face instead of her ass.

If we're seriously at the point where the game's producer can flat-out say they weren't pressured by anyone and the immediate response is a coverup theory... I dunno, man. I can't figure out why gamers would want to die on that molehill.

Capcom says they made the changes they did because they want the game to appeal to the widest audience possible. They're a business. That makes sense. They're 100% in charge of their product, nobody even could force them to change anything against their will, so I don't see a valid reason not to take them at their word.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #26
Powder
So tired of this place

Sure, it has absolutely nothing to do with this being on the heels of Dead Or Alive Extreme 3 being held back from western audiences for the same reasons.

Businesses lie about motivating factors constantly. That is capitalism. I don't see why we can be so quick to doubt politicians but every other money minded suit can be taken at face value during questionable times. Sh*t happens behind the scenes in all fields, but everyone is ready & willing to dismiss the sketchiness of this particular one because it's demographic is comprised of geeks.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #27
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Sure, it has absolutely nothing to do with this being on the heels of Dead Or Alive Extreme 3 being held back from western audiences for the same reasons.
There are actually some very compelling potential financial reasons for that decision made in this article and in the comments following it. That game series wasn't exactly a high seller, especially the previous game, and the costs of localizing, licensing, marketing, and distributing it in a market that it was never really designed for might not have even been profitable.

Quote:
Businesses lie about motivating factors constantly. That is capitalism. I don't see why we can be so quick to doubt politicians but every other money minded suit can be taken at face value during questionable times. Sh*t happens behind the scenes in all fields, but everyone is ready & willing to dismiss the sketchiness of this particular one because it's demographic is comprised of geeks.
Capitalism is making money, full stop. Capcom has flat-out said that the (very slight) alterations they're making from the first beta are only to better appeal to a wider, younger audience. And I don't see much actual evidence to the contrary.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #28
Powder
So tired of this place

Yeah, that's all well & good, but they outright gave their reason in a now deleted post: https://archive.is/KmUZc

Capcom can flat-out say whatever they want. Some people believe it, others don't. It is what it is. There's enough going on for myself & others to doubt that reasoning.
That belief has no effect on you, so I don't see the point in going on about it.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #29
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Yeah, that's all well & good, but they outright gave their reason in a now deleted post: https://archive.is/KmUZc

Capcom can flat-out say whatever they want. Some people believe it, others don't. It is what it is.
I'm not saying it didn't potentially factor in to some degree, but ultimately the final decision would have been financial. A company would never shut down an entire source of revenue just over some potential Internet comments. More likely they ran the numbers and figured that the game wasn't likely to make a profit (or enough of a profit) in North America and didn't feel it was worth the hassle. If they thought it'd be profitable enough I am sure they'd release it in a heartbeat.

But yes, the games market is changing, that much is true. It's a big business and more developers are choosing to consider a wider, more diverse audience because they want to make as much money as possible. You can believe that games are under siege by "SJWs" if you really want to, but no CEO is going to shoot their business in the foot over some online criticism alone. If it's business, ultimately it's always about money. This kind of thing always happens when a market grows.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #30
Powder
So tired of this place

Be that as it may, their voice is very much being heard. Controversy/criticism can hurt business, especially when it is a perceived matter of prejudice/sexism. It's what gets stores that carry those items boycotted & so forth. Yeah, business comes first, but when mouthpieces can f*ck up that business, it's really more about politics, isn't it?

I really don't want to continue hashing this out with you. It's very clear we stand on two different sides of the issue. You're sure as hell not gonna convince me of anything.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:39 PM   #31
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Be that as it may, their voice is very much being heard. Controversy/criticism can hurt business, especially when it is a perceived matter of prejudice/sexism. It's what gets stores that carry those items boycotted & so forth. Yeah, business comes first, but when mouthpieces can f*ck up that business, it's really more about politics, isn't it?

I really don't want to continue hashing this out with you. It's very clear we stand on two different sides of the issue. You're sure as hell not gonna convince me of anything.
Than what happen when Mortal Kombat 1 hit the stores, Nes took the blood out and Sega did keep it(With code) Sega out sold Nes by a large margin, and pretty much force there hand to keep the blood intact for MKII. Censured stuff has back fire in the past, and perhaps most gamers might like that close up lol.

controversy does sale though, and like it or not sex also sales.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:05 AM   #32
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The moon landing was faked by those pesky SJW, you guys.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:05 AM   #33
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Oh, it's all political. And like it or not, the so-called "anti-censorship" side is being every bit as political... possibly even moreso. Again, run that Google search, you'll find a ton of it -- they're making petitions and putting public pressure on the company to change their product back in order to suit their specific preferences. Just because their politics represent something you seem to agree with doesn't make it any different. Everything you just said applies every bit as much to that "side".

Whether or not you believe them or agree with it, Capcom made the decision and they seem to stand by it. And they're under way more pressure from the "anti-censorship" mouthpieces than anyone else right now and haven't changed their minds there, so make of that what you will.

Quote:
That much is very clear. I've said my piece and don't plan on spending my day running in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post

All hail our Reptiloid SJW Illuminati overlords!!

Last edited by Bry; 12-12-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #34
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Yeah. And video games were created by the privileged cis-gendered straight white male in order to oppress women and minorities through rape culture in games like GTA and white supremacy in games like Legend of Zelda.

Last edited by Prowler; 12-12-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #35
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
We already have two SFV topics, mate.
And you thought this didn't deserve it's own thread
Old 12-12-2015, 09:06 AM   #36
Peanut
Second Gear

It didn't, because just look at the absolute nonsense in here now!

This thread has already changed my perspective on so many people.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #37
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Yeah. And video games were created by the privileged cis-gendered straight white male in order to oppress women and minorities through rape culture in games like GTA and white supremacy in games like Legend of Zelda.
It all began with the cathode ray tube amusement device and and now it'll end with no longer having the camera focusing on Mika's cheeks.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:21 AM   #38
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Can one of the mods close this thread? It's getting ridiculous.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #39
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Can one of the mods close this thread? It's getting ridiculous.
It started ridiculous.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #40
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

And it'll end ridiculous. As deserved
Closed Thread