The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 02:59 PM   #21
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I heard of it from some videogame magazines during the mid-1990's.
So you're telling me DBZ wasn't a huge hit in Sweden? Here in Portugal nearly everyone born after 1980 grew up watching and loving DBZ. And, from what I gather, that was basically the case for DBZ everywhere. I mean, anime wasn't a big thing outside of Japan in general until DBZ was exported. France and Italy already were good markets for anime in the 80s tho. Some mangas were translated into French and Italian back in the 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
It's also worth mentioning that Dragon Ball, One Piece and Naruto are the top 3 best selling manga of all time, they're in the top 15 best selling comics of all time for god's sake! I seriously doubt any TMNT comic is even in the top 500.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...g_comic_series

And if you add up the episodes of their respective TV shows, One piece has 816 episodes, Naruto has 807 and Dragon Ball has 627 (which for the last one, by the way, is because the creator chose to lay the series to rest for 18 years). This makes TMNT's 499 seem like a joke when you remember the others didn't need to reboot and are probably going to continue out-classing it.
Yeah. Thanks for pointign this out.

What about Sailor Moon? Like the TMNT it peaked in the 90s. It had a new anime rather recently. Crystal or wtv its name was. Also, the 90s SM anime was a tad different from the manga. Supposedly Crystal is more faithful to the manga.

Cyber, you mentioned the Simpsons... there is another thing bigger than TMNT. Family Guy and South Park are also bigger.

It's like pretty much every "big property" out there is bigger or feels bigger than the TMNT. I notice the TMNT are mostly an afterthought or something from the distant past for most people. It's something everyone knows it exists but it's not on the forefront of their thoughts, nor is the overwhelming majority into it beyond the most accessible stuff(the Fred Wolf cartoon and the live action movies) out there. Hell, notice how small this forum is compared to forums of other popular properties. And this is the biggest TMNT fan forum out there.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #22
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well anime airs weekly all year around with no breaks. American cartoons generally have just 26 episode seasons. Of course shonen anime, most of it is filler, is going to have hundreds of episodes.

Same reason Simpsons only has a little over 600 episodes despite airing for nearly 30 years. You would expect Simpsons to have over 1000 eps by now but it doesn't, and its been airing for 3 decades.
Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that One Piece still has more episodes than TMNT does in total, not to mention that it's been going on for longer than any single TMNT cartoon.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #23
Prowler
Emperor

I had no idea One Piece was just a little below Batman in terms of comic sales and that it was above Spider-Man. 430M comic sales? Wow. That being said OP definitely loses to the big 3 superheroes when it comes to movie and toy sales revenue.

But really 430M manga volume sales is goddamn impressive considering how anime/manga is so easy to pirate in comparison to american cartoons and comics and everyone seems to do it.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #24
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
So you're telling me DBZ wasn't a huge hit in Sweden?.
I think it was. But it was a time I felt ashame for liking animated series and comics.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 12-07-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #25
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
So you're telling me DBZ wasn't a huge hit in Sweden?
The Manga was, it has a full Swedish translation but it hasn't been in print since 2012. None of the shows have been dubbed into Swedish but several of the movies were.

Here's a few clips of Dragon Ball Z in Swedish.

I actually have it on DVD.
Hahahaha!
Old 12-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #26
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
DBZ is certainly bigger than TMNT. Everyone has heard of DBZ, dude. You're seriously calling DBZ "niche"?
Nah, it's not bigger. It was considered very niche in the UK and ask someone which was a bigger phenomenon at the time in both the UK and US and they'll say TMNT.

DBZ biggest claim to fame is that it was probably the most recognisable anime at the time, maybe overtaken when Pokemon started after.

Quote:
Naruto was pretty big for some years. Granted its popularity didn't match the FW series in its prime, but it has been more on the minds of the general audience than the TMNT have I'd say. Remember tons of people all over the world love anime. And even non-big anime fans watch the bigger anime such as Pokémon, DBZ, naruto, etc.
Never even heard of Naruto until I picked up a graphic novel at my library a couple of years ago. That's how 'popular' is was.

Quote:
So you're telling me DBZ wasn't a huge hit in Sweden? Here in Portugal nearly everyone born after 1980 grew up watching and loving DBZ.
Yes it was popular...in Portugal...but not everywhere.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, "Bargain Basement Jr. X-Men."

At large. Unfortunately.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

TMNT will never have the pull of DC or Marvel franchises.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #29
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
TMNT will never have the pull of DC or Marvel franchises.
Never say Never, there is no telling what might happen in the future.

Remember when people predicted Pokemon would be a 90s fad only?

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

The only alternative is if Disney buys TMNT and gives it a major push. Mirage and Nick simply don't have the incentive to promote it that heavily.

At the very least TMNT cartoons are the longest lasting action cartoons on western television.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #31
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
The only alternative is if Disney buys TMNT and gives it a major push. Mirage and Nick simply don't have the incentive to promote it that heavily.

At the very least TMNT cartoons are the longest lasting action cartoons on western television.
Or they would just get absorbed into the Marvel umbrella, get a show maybe every 10-25 years and primarily exist as reprints (albeit nice ones) and as minor characters who pop up once in a while. Trust me, not everything Disney gets their hands on gets a major push, most of just ends up in the "vault".
Hahahaha!
Old 12-15-2017, 03:06 AM   #32
Overlord

Dragonball Z in Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The Manga was, it has a full Swedish translation but it hasn't been in print since 2012. None of the shows have been dubbed into Swedish but several of the movies were.
Here's everything with Dragonball Z released to home video in Sweden, according to Swedish mediadatabase

https://smdb.kb.se/catalog/search?q=...eo&sort=OLDEST

https://smdb.kb.se/catalog/search?q=...eo&sort=OLDEST
Old 12-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #33
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Nah, it's not bigger. It was considered very niche in the UK and ask someone which was a bigger phenomenon at the time in both the UK and US and they'll say TMNT.

DBZ biggest claim to fame is that it was probably the most recognisable anime at the time, maybe overtaken when Pokemon started after.

Never even heard of Naruto until I picked up a graphic novel at my library a couple of years ago. That's how 'popular' is was.

Yes it was popular...in Portugal...but not everywhere.
I've talked to many people all over the world and they all said DBZ was big in their country back in the day as well. It's definitely not just a Portuguese/select few European countries thing at all like Biker Mice From mars was, for example.

Just because you had not heard of Naruto until recently doesn't mean it's not popular. It was pretty big some years ago. Not sure if it's still on-going or not.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #34
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Just because you had not heard of Naruto until recently doesn't mean it's not popular. It was pretty big some years ago. Not sure if it's still on-going or not.
Kind of, the series itself ended but there's a sequel that took it's place.
Hahahaha!
Old 12-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #35
Overlord

Biker Mice from Mars

Biker Mice from Mars was a hit in Sweden at least.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #36
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Biker Mice from Mars was a hit in Sweden at least.
It was also in Portugal and I believe a few other European countries. I never see Americans talking about that series.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #37
Overlord

Quote:
It was also in Portugal and I believe a few other European countries. I never see Americans talking about that series.
The comeptition is so much tougher in the USA. By the early 1990's, any such action-adventure series would become a huge hit in Sweden.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #38
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I've talked to many people all over the world and they all said DBZ was big in their country back in the day as well. It's definitely not just a Portuguese/select few European countries thing at all like Biker Mice From mars was, for example.
Biker Mice From Mars wasn't really popular from what I remember. For a while TMNT's biggest contender was Captain Planet until the latter and TMNT started to fall behind Power Rangers. DBZ never really registered apart in some Euro countries like Portugal and France (I think).

Quote:
It may be slightly more popular now but it wasn't when I was growing up. Never saw the cartoon advertised, never saw a tie-in video game, nothing.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:42 PM   #39
dragonside
Hench Mutant

tried looking at the Viacom Financial Statements.

Too bad they don't break out revenues by franchise.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #40
Overlord

Captain Planet

Was Captain Planet a major hit in Portugal? It wasn't much of that in Sweden.