The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #61
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I kind of wish they'd have abandoned alternate dimensions with this. Just stick with time, with an altered present. What do I mean?

OK, they activate the collider, POOF, they accidentally open a rift up 10 years into the past from which an alien invasion force enters. Simultaneously, the station in the present loses contact with Earth (because now, on Earth, they've been dealing with this alien invasion for 10 years). The crew (minds insulated from the change in the timeline since they're on the station, of course) has no idea what's going on, maybe has to contend with one of the alien ships investigating their station, and in the end have to make an emergency landing on Earth... and we see the planet is all busted up everywhere, the ships from the end of Cloverfield Lane buzzing around gassing everybody and Cloverfield monsters roving around smashing up everything.

That'd work and be a legit tie-in to everything, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
The only thing I like about this strategy is that it enables Development Hell scripts to get made... BUT at the cost of having some BS edited in to connect to JJ Abrams' idiot cinematic universe.
That's a heavy price to pay the piper. Of course, if your movie is legit bad (like "God Particle" was) to begin with... hey, why not.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #62
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I do think we'll eventually get a "real" Cloverfield movie that deals with the monsters, just not anytime soon. I also think right now the timeline can work in "one earth". The events of this movie caused some rift in space time that "woke" the Clover monster and set up the events of the first movie which is around when 10 Lane begins as that same rift brought more of that same planet which is why we're seeing space ships and them attacking with other creatures.

The thing is that TV News segment was not very subtle, "It can wake up monsters in sea or mix worlds or time". So I'm guessing Clover4 taking place in WWII is explained away by the "time" one, and the more the movies make less sense the easier it'll be to use the "multiverse" theory.

I agree that it's a cheap way but is it really any different than when DC or Marvel does it? And people accept it. Tokusatsu fans (Supersentai/Power Rangers/Kamen RIder) are familiar with it, many anime's use this. It's also no different than the Turtles Multivese which turtle fans love as well or pretty much most multiverses that exist because of inconsistencies caused by different writers and then eventually someone tries to put them all together.

As far as the Tom Cruise universe when I was younger I had my theory on how to make all Jackie Chan movies take place in one universe and also one where the three Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks romantic comedies(and some of their solo films too) could take place in the same timeline JJ just redeemed and validated my theories
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #63
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

This video does a good job at explaining the multiverse theory in The Cloverfield Paradox. and how it affects Cloverfield, 10 Cloverfield Lane, and the upcoming Cloverfield 4.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #64
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'll wait for the Redlettermedia review, possibly followed by a "Science Guy" video. I feel like they have to do one.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #65
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'll wait for the Redlettermedia review, possibly followed by a "Science Guy" video. I feel like they have to do one.
Or a "Because Science" video.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:16 AM   #66
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Finally got the chance to watch this last night and good lord was it disappointing.

I'm still madly in love with that first Cloverfield movie as the hype and viral marketing campaign behind it is still something to this day that I still fondly think of. 10 Cloverfield Lane, by all accounts, was the better movie and I loved the hell out of that one too ... but I was always interested to see more stories possibly tied to the original.

Bad writing, clunky dialogue and a slow/boring story made Cloverfield Paradox one of the most forgettable movie experiences I've had in quite sometime. I'm hoping that this possible fourth movie can redeem the Cloverfield name a bit, but it worries me that we may never get to experience more stories with "Clover" since this one did so poorly.

Even the fun ending couldn't strike a chord with me because of how drained of interest this movie made me.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #67
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Its amazing how the 1st movie was basically a Kaiju movie done as Found Footage. And then the studio and JJ Abrams ends up using the name and turning it to something else.

Its like they are turning Cloverfield into a Twilight Zone style Anthology Film Series based what was explained in this movie.

Any movie that bares the Cloverfield name would be the result of what happened in The Cloverfield Paradox. So when you look back at the 1st one. You now know why that monster all of a sudden showed up in NY.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 02-11-2018 at 01:15 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #68
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

RLM DID do it:

Old 02-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #69
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

This was one of my favorite Half in the Bag episodes!