The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior

TMNT Polystone Statues from Sideshow

Note: I realize this is for a product, but it's specific to the Platinum Dunes films and I didn't see anything about them here nor in the collectibles forum.

We speculated when the first movie's first images were coming out and those speculations are true. Sideshow is releasing polystone statues similar to those used for modeling the turtles in the first film.

Leo still looks best to me, the most turtle with just enough humanoid. But man, like or hate the designs, these are hella detailed statues.

That said, I'll take my traditional styled TMNT set because aesthetic preferences aside....$700 per turtle is just gut wrenching.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/brands/tmnt
Old 06-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaFox View Post
Note: I realize this is for a product, but it's specific to the Platinum Dunes films and I didn't see anything about them here nor in the collectibles forum.

We speculated when the first movie's first images were coming out and those speculations are true. Sideshow is releasing polystone statues similar to those used for modeling the turtles in the first film.

Leo still looks best to me, the most turtle with just enough humanoid. But man, like or hate the designs, these are hella detailed statues.

That said, I'll take my traditional styled TMNT set because aesthetic preferences aside....$700 per turtle is just gut wrenching.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/brands/tmnt
$699 is an awful lot for these statues, Good thing I still have my Raph statue from the TMNT 2014 Bluray.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior

Yeah, that was still a shame they didn't have Leo/Walmart, Raph/Amazon, Mike/Target, etc.

Sure you'd have to buy 4 copies of the Bluray but people who liked them would have a cheaper option than this.

The detail on these IS top notch though. I didn't even know Leo has a scar on the right side of his face.

I got the original Sideshow set, but passed on Shredder. Kind of regret it, but done is done.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Yeah, we know.

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48459

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48874

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51270
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #5
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior

Was kind of surprised when I didn't see threads for them. Didn't look well enough, obviously...
Old 06-12-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaFox View Post
Yeah, that was still a shame they didn't have Leo/Walmart, Raph/Amazon, Mike/Target, etc.
Agree. Would be nice if they do that next time, or at least do one of the other three.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #7
Leo656
The Franchise

Oh my god, the thought that some poor soul has that kinda money laying around and would willingly spend it on something like THIS. Anyone who'd buy all four should be waterboarded, then drawn and quartered. That's a down payment on a small house in some places!

It's not just that I hate the movie designs, by the way, I just find that kind of thing decadent and vulgar. I mean, it's your money. Just kinda bothers me that some people have nothing, and others have Too Much and like to celebrate by buying, like, a working Bat-signal for their backyard. But that's life.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:24 AM   #8
NYShell
Stone Warrior

Honestly, I think those look amazing. Definitely don't have the money to shell out for all 4, let alone 1.

** LOOKING FOR 2016 SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES EXCLUSIVE TMNT STATUES (LEO, MIKE, RAPH) **
NYShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

i will lose all respect for anyone who buys these, there is absolutely no reason for the price tag on anything that is a luxury item and not a need.

seriously i know some of you guys like this movie and will buy the merch but skip these...if you are ever going to listen to a "hater" now is the time to do it,

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Only if I was rich... maybe just get my fave, then take the collective cost of the other three and donate it to charity to make amends. lol

Even if I could afford it, those things are big though, there would be no reasonable place for me to put it anyhow. (Ok if I was rich I guess I might have more space, but still.) Supposedly the bases all fit together(?), but that would have to be trouble displaying them like that in a way that looks decent... look forward to photos. I imagine them being in the middle of dining room tables mostly.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #11
NYShell
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post
i will lose all respect for anyone who buys these, there is absolutely no reason for the price tag on anything that is a luxury item and not a need.

seriously i know some of you guys like this movie and will buy the merch but skip these...if you are ever going to listen to a "hater" now is the time to do it,
I get what you're saying, but couldn't you say that about any piece of Turtles merch?

It says prototype shown and the appearance may be different when it arrives...

Why is Donatello priced the highest at 749 when the others are 700?

** LOOKING FOR 2016 SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES EXCLUSIVE TMNT STATUES (LEO, MIKE, RAPH) **
NYShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYShell View Post
Why is Donatello priced the highest at 749 when the others are 700?
The intricate little details in his tech stuff (in design, paint, and maybe fragility of some aspects that might need more cautious handling when made) is my guess.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:27 PM   #13
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Oh my god, the thought that some poor soul has that kinda money laying around and would willingly spend it on something like THIS. Anyone who'd buy all four should be waterboarded, then drawn and quartered. That's a down payment on a small house in some places!

It's not just that I hate the movie designs, by the way, I just find that kind of thing decadent and vulgar. I mean, it's your money. Just kinda bothers me that some people have nothing, and others have Too Much and like to celebrate by buying, like, a working Bat-signal for their backyard. But that's life.
I wouldn't call it a vulgar purchase if someone were to save their money quite hard and then splurge on something like this every once in a while. Some people "waste" money in bits, super sizing their meals and buying that premium brand of shoes, while some do it all at once. Who are we to judge?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:04 PM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Who are we to judge?
I can't speak for anyone but myself. And my answer is, "A Judgmental Asshole."

I'unno man. I grew up poor and I've always worked two and a half times harder than most, so my money has definitely been earned and saved, and I do enjoy a little splurge from time to time, but I've slept on the sidewalk enough times so that, I could never, *ever* justify that kind of purchase, no matter how big a fan I am. In my head, there would ALWAYS be a better use of the money. I can justify dipping into the food budget or the money for the storage bill to like go see a movie once in a while, buy a stack of comics, or a few games/DVDs, but never EVER a couple grand worth of statues. I mean, I have a few porcelain Superman ones that were about $100-150 each, but a couple of them were gifts and that's about as extravagant as I can ever imagine getting.

Your whole perspective on "wants", "needs", and what is an "acceptable" use of money completely changes after like the second or third time you're homeless before age 30. Just to give you an idea where I'm coming from. You learn that life is really uncertain, and it's best to hedge your bets, and not fritter away resources on extravagant things.

Maybe if I had a huuuuuge income tax check or something. And even then, I'd rather piss it away on games, personally. At least you can "do something" with them. Statues look cool, but they just sit there, y'know? An amazing-looking dust collector is still just a dust collector, any way you slice it.

People can do what they like, obviously. But that's a ton of money for those things, is all. Half the people who *would* buy them are the kind of folks who don't even have health insurance. People make interesting choices.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:48 AM   #15
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

$700, that's more expensive then the 1:1 scale Rocket Racoon my LCS have in-stock.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #16
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

They also have a statue for Splinter, It looks great, But will cost $469.99.
http://www.fanboycollectibles.com/pr...oducts_id=5749

Old 06-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #17
Galactus
Foot Elite

Splinter too?

Who the **** do they think is going to buy these?
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #18
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Guys its Sideshow Collectibles all there stuff is ****ing expensive. You would have to sell a kidney on the black market to afford any of their figures. The Hot toys are expensive too.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #19
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

He really is one unsettling nearly-hairless rat... (Pay $470 for him to stare at you in the middle of the night. )

I do like his base though.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #20
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Nearly $500 for that hideous Splinter? I really can't imagine who would buy that. And not knocking the sculpting job - the sculpt is bang on, but the design is deeply unpleasant to look at.

They put some serious work into these, so it's a real shame they couldn't have gone with better-looking designs. Hyper-realistic 1990 movie statues would be pretty terrific. Though there's no way I'd be able to afford them anyway.