The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-30-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice turns 30

Happy 30th Anniversary to the ghost with the most. Beetlejuice came out March 30, 1988

Old 03-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

It's amazing how much I watched this as a kid and how I literally can't recall a single scene from this movie. I keep meaning to go back and watch.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I wish Burton would quit dicking around and make the sequel. No one wants to see him doing more quasi-goth stuff with Johnny Depp.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Great movie, though I doubt any sequel will come even close, but a second one would still be nice.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:10 PM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

As a kid I guess I liked it but not that much I was more of a fan of the cartoon but when I re-watched it as an adult I loved it. I had all these Beetlejuice toys as a kid but they didn't blend in with anything else I had to play as

I've been curious to re-watch the cartoon, how is it? Sometimes I feel it'll be really dumb and other times I watch small segments on youtube and it seems just as bizarre as the actual movie.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:06 AM   #6
newfan
Mad Scientist

Haven't seen it in years but watched it so many times back then. Course back then we did tend to watch things over more as there was less to watch but it was a good movie, surprised there hasn't been a sequel by now.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:09 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I remember really enjoying the cartoon. I'm afraid to rewatch, though. I don't remember, do they even bother to explain why Lydia and Beetlejuice are suddenly friendly?
Old 03-31-2018, 02:49 AM   #8
JonesyKitty
Mad Scientist

The cartoon holds up pretty well. I bought the complete series box set a few years ago and watch it from time to time. Alot of the episodes are typical 80's episodes (basically just parodies of whatever movie was popular at the time) but they're all still enjoyable and humor is still good. Andrew, they never explain it, nor do they explain why Adam and Barbara are missing and never mentioned. The first episode basically just starts up with them already having been friends for some time.

Last edited by JonesyKitty; 03-31-2018 at 03:03 AM.
JonesyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:40 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesyKitty View Post
Andrew, they never explain it, nor do they explain why Adam and Barbara are missing and never mentioned. The first episode basically just starts up with them already having been friends for some time.
That's what I thought, but I was figuring I must have been forgetting some early episode or something. Because wow, it's so strange that they would be. Her whole arc in the movie was banishing him away forever.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:38 AM   #10
JonesyKitty
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's what I thought, but I was figuring I must have been forgetting some early episode or something. Because wow, it's so strange that they would be. Her whole arc in the movie was banishing him away forever.
Haha yeah, it's a pretty drastic change. From Beetlejuice being a horndog creeper, straight to them being best friends, hugging, kissing on the cheek and having friendship anniversaries. I honestly wish they would have done some kind of animated version of the film for an episode. For years I've been wanting to just do a comic based on the script but drawn in the cartoon style.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:42 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

There has to be something, though. Maybe there is, like, an unaired cartoon pilot that explained it but the networks decided was too weird or something...
Old 03-31-2018, 05:16 AM   #12
JonesyKitty
Mad Scientist

Quote:
There has to be something, though. Maybe there is, like, an unaired cartoon pilot that explained it but the networks decided was too weird or something...
Maybe they'll go over the reasoning in the documentary that's coming out this year. Have you heard about that?
Old 03-31-2018, 07:48 AM   #13
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:20 AM   #14
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
It's amazing how much I watched this as a kid and how I literally can't recall a single scene from this movie. I keep meaning to go back and watch.
Same here, actually. The only thing that stood out for me before I did rewatch this a couple of years ago was the dinner scene with the dance, the part when Beetlejuice scared Geena and Alec with his face, the ending with Winona Ryder floating or whatever, and the shrinking head part with Beetlejuice.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:30 AM   #15
newfan
Mad Scientist

Just spotted the DVD in a supermarket today so picked it up.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:10 PM   #16
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
From what I read online the first episode gives a throwaway line to set up the status quo that they've known each other for years so there is a pilot episode that sets up the plot even if she already knows Beetlejuice. With that said the cartoon is clearly not in continuity with the movie.

When it comes to cartoons based on movies there's 3 tiers|:

The ones that were clearly sequels to the movies such as MIB & Godzilla The Series; Some that are outright different continuities as shown on the first episode like Jumanji and Beethoven. You also have some that were somewhat in continuity even if there were a few plotholes and things that don't work since they don't follow the rules or eventually become their own thing like Back to the Future. For this last one that just don't give a f-ck like the Karate Kid and Free Willy cartoon where you need to watch the movie to know what the hell is happening but clearly it's something entirely different but they pass it as a sequel of sorts.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote