The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 03-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #21
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

I did not get into the show from the first episode. I thought it was really cheesy actually.

Then I read about "Same as it Never Was" on a forum and watched it. That got my attention!

I think the show didn't really hit its stride in the first season.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:19 AM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
I did not get into the show from the first episode. I thought it was really cheesy actually.
What made the first episode more cheesy than any other episode? There's no difference in tone from that ep and the other episodes in any of the other early seasons.

Quote:
I think the show didn't really hit its stride in the first season.
Season 1 is still one of the best seasons of the 4kids show. I'm not sure what you mean by "didn't hit it's stride." The moment "Shredder Strikes" hit it already surpassed my expectations beyond the first 9 episodes.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #23
dragonside
Hench Mutant

For the 4Kids cartoon - its actually a hard sell with most people.

But I was won over by the Battle Nexus. So start em off on that arc.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #24
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What made the first episode more cheesy than any other episode? There's no difference in tone from that ep and the other episodes in any of the other early seasons.

Season 1 is still one of the best seasons of the 4kids show. I'm not sure what you mean by "didn't hit it's stride." The moment "Shredder Strikes" hit it already surpassed my expectations beyond the first 9 episodes.
Not sure exactly. I guess because it was mostly adaptations of comics, and it was hard to measure up to those. Once they had more original stories I thought the show got more exciting and darker (until, obviously, Fast Forward). "Shredder Strikes" was standout, so yeah maybe one could start there. I didn't only think the first episode was cheesy; I thought most of the earlier episodes (and some later ones) were.

The jokes were less funny in the first season and the voice actors hadn't quite settled into their roles yet.

Not sure about everyone else but the first season did not pull me in for long. I only really liked it later on, although I always liked the character designs and animation.

Don't get me wrong. I think 2003 was by far the best TMNT cartoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside

I loved the Battle Nexus too, although I think it was in part due to the previously established characterizations that got them to that point. Not sure if it's a good starter.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:24 AM   #25
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

As others mentioned, the 1st episode. I mean, that is the way it was meant to be.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

You start at episode 1, and you watch in chronological order the whole way through.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #27
k_lala
Hench Mutant

Quote:
You start at episode 1, and you watch in chronological order the whole way through.
Yes in an ideal world that would be perfect, but a lot of people do not have the patience for that. Like if someone wanted me to watch a whole series of Walking dead or Game of throwns and i've never seen an episode before. I might watch an episode and if I'm not hooked no way am i committing myself for 100 plus episodes.

I think the first TMNT show is good, I don't think its better than the episode where Leo cuts off Shredders head in return to new york. That might be a better episode to hook people off and intrigue them to watch the entire thing.
k_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #28
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I forgot the names, but I think the episodes showing the turtles as kids could work pretty well. One was the episode where they all try and train Casey on the rooftop and in the other one, we learn their story of visiting the Ancient One in Japan.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #29
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Then there was that really terrible one where Serling goes back in time and meets the baby turtles.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #30
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Then there was that really terrible one where Serling goes back in time and meets the baby turtles.
There was actually an episode on that? I've never seen it since I skipped most of FastForward/Btts, but that sounds terrible right of the bat.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
There was actually an episode on that? I've never seen it since I skipped most of FastForward/Btts, but that sounds terrible right of the bat.
You should go back and watch those seasons, plenty of good episodes.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #32
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_lala View Post
Hey, if you had to introduce the series to someone who's never watch the show before. And you had to give him ONE episode to watch, to give him an idea of what the show was about what would it be and why?
"Reflections", since that's a very condensed version of the first season.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:05 AM   #33
BYWInsaniac
Thug

Re:

For what it's worth, I think if someone is a fan of the Turtles then you can skip around 2k3 without being too lost. I say that from experience.

I've never been able to get into 2k3 starting at the beginning. I've tried 3 or 4 times, but always lose interested 13 episodes in or so. I've jumped around, though, watching the highly recommended episodes or the adaptations of Mirage arcs that I like.

I'm certain that there's a whole other layer if you watch everything in order, but I definitely don't think you have to watch it in order to enjoy it.

So with that, as a super casual viewer, I really liked the "Turtles in Space" arc, and I loved the episode that adapts the Leo One-Shot. And while it's not a great starting point, "Insane in the Membrane" was freekin amazing.

-JJ
BYWInsaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:13 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

Season 1 has the most cohesive and down to earth narrative of all the seasons, and some of the best Shredder episodes until Season 3.

I don't see what there is to lose interest in. The few fillers inbetween are harmless and there aren't many either.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:50 PM   #35
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post

I wasn't too keen on that one even though I thought it was really good. I think maybe because I found it too mystical. I like the TMNT episodes that incorporate the mystic and science fiction into everyday New York although there were some more fantasy/sci-fi episodes that I enjoyed.

I think this really illustrates that it depends on the interests of the person you're trying to introduce. Battle Nexus, is a great arc, but I don't think it would have hooked me personally.

Quote:
You should go back and watch those seasons, plenty of good episodes.
Yeah, I think people tend to remember the overall style which I don't believe worked and the bad ones. I think most shows have series like that for instance in another show I like (Babylon 5), everyone seems to hate the last series but in spite of that it has some really good episodes.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord

Battle Nexus arc was one of my favorites, there was so many good subplots going on it too at the same time. It's not like it only focused on the tournament itself, but also everything with Draco and the Ultimate Ninja, Usagi's appearance, the huge vortex at the end, etc.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #37
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Battle Nexus arc was one of my favorites, there was so many good subplots going on it too at the same time. It's not like it only focused on the tournament itself, but also everything with Draco and the Ultimate Ninja, Usagi's appearance, the huge vortex at the end, etc.
A shame that it marked the downfall of Michelangelo's character. He became really annoying after winning it.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:06 PM   #38
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

I got into the 2k3 series with "The Shredder Strikes Back" mainly because I recognized a lot of the plot line from the 1990 movie which I loved. So it was fairly easy for me to feel caught up. I think I actually watched the series from that point onward before going back and watching the first few episodes.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:40 AM   #39
neatoman
Emperor

Even when I wrote my first reply I had trouble to pick one episode, it still is and I can't figure out many better choices. Mainly because of how few episodes really make any sense without having seen previous ones.

Literally, the show has 156 episodes and a lot are eaten up by multi-parters, Look:
  • Shredder Strikes, 2 parts
  • Notes from the Underground, 3 parts
  • The Shredder Strikes Back, 2 parts
  • Return to New York, 3 parts
  • The Search for Splinter, 2 parts
  • Turtles in Space, 5 parts
  • Secret Origins, 3 parts
  • City at War, 3 parts
  • Rogue in the House, 2 parts
  • The Big Brawl, 4 parts
  • Space Invaders, 3 parts
  • Worlds Collide, 3 parts
  • The Real World, 2 parts
  • Exodus, 2 parts
  • Return of Savanti, 2 parts
  • Good Genes, 2 parts
  • New World Order, 2 parts
  • Enter the Dragons, 2 parts

44 episodes, a little less than a third of the series and those are just the official multi-parters, I didn't even bring up how, for example, Ultimate Ninja is set-up for the Big Brawl, the two episodes about Augie's artifact or how season 5 is basically one long arc.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

For goodness sakes the show is meant to be watched in chronological order. This is not a show to skip around in if you've never seen it before. It's not like the Fred Wolf cartoon where you can just watch any random episode out of order and it doesn't make much of a difference.