The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 12-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Batman: The Dark Knight 3 in the works

Frank Miller and Scott Snyder are reportedly working on a new Batman comic set within The Dark Knight Returns universe: http://comicbook.com/2014/12/04/dark...ler-and-scott/

I personally don't know how to feel about this since Miller's recent work is pretty bad. Thoughts?

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

So awful. So, so terrible. Just the worst goddamn idea.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
snake
Disgusting

This'll be fun.

You guys see Miller recently? Stan Lee has obviously been draining his life force.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

HAH! That was good.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
This'll be fun.

You guys see Miller recently? Stan Lee has obviously been draining his life force.
I just looked up a recent picture. YIKES!!!

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:41 PM   #6
Davetello
Banned

Miller is clueless now. He also looks ill. I once lost a ton of weight and was very skinny but compared to him I was still built like John Cena.

Regardless, Miller's racism has become more apparent over the years and he lost the plot ages ago, from what I gather. This will just tarnish the original. I haven't read The Dark Knight Strikes Again yet because I hear it blows.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:42 AM   #7
discordiatookie
facehugger

I'll probably pick this up, just for the comedy value. When All Star Batman asked if Dick Grayson was retarded (off the top of my head, I had it up on my wall: "what, are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!" ) was the best thing ever. So terrible. I love Returns, and I do get some enjoyment from Strikes Again - not a patch on Returns but there's some decent storytelling in there. Whacky art but not the worst. Year One is awesome too...

Seriously though, Miller's work ranges from some of the best to pretty damned bad of late, it's kinda sad.

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
snake
Disgusting

All Star Batman is so stupid it's funny. Why couldn't they get Morrison to do it like he did All Star Superman (Which is an AWESOME comic by the way)?
Old 12-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

The idea of the "All Star" line at the time it came out was, teams of "celebrity" creators would do the most "iconic" versions possible of the most popular characters, in mini-series books that were free from continuity so the creators were free to focus on Big, Iconic Moments. Essentially, all the characters were supposed to be as if they had stepped out of society's "collective memory" of who the characters were. It was going to be the perfect "anybody can pick up and read" series of books.

Then they did "All Star Batman" and pretty much ruined that because Miller's nuts, and instead of telling an "iconic" Batman story, he decided to show us why all the DC characters in his Dark Knight books are serious assh*les by making his mini a prequel to that dreck. Since that book was such a mess (it's actually never been finished), they cancelled the planned All-Star Batgirl and All-Star Wonder Woman books that were to come next. I think Gail Simone was going to write Batgirl and Amanda Connor was going to draw it, if I remember correctly.

As far as Miller in general, I vehemently disagree that he is or was ever "one of the best", at anything. Dark Knight Returns came out a time where just by way of its tone it was going to stand out from most everything else on the market, so it nudged things in a darker, "more modern" direction (that pretty much ruined most super-hero comics for years, but that's an entirely separate point), but he was hardly a revolutionary. The "darker" Batman had started creeping in during the late 70s way before Miller even got on the character; he's just a name people associate with that "grim n gritty" schtick because he's easy to remember. He never did anything anybody else hadn't done before or since, and better. He was just one of a very few guys who was doing it in a specific time and place, on a book that was getting a lot of buzz because a major film was coming out soon, so he gets credit for the "comics ain't just for kids anymore" nonsense, and everyone credits HIS books for influencing the movies and everything else when it's really the stuff guys like O'Neal and Neal Adams were doing that set all that up.

Miller's a f*cking hack. Year One is like, the ONE thing of his I've read that wasn't overrated as f*ck. Even Dark Knight Returns is only really any good if you're one of those "Batman Could So Totally Beat Up Jesus" type of Batman fans, otherwise it's just joyless and ugly. And given that it went from a mini-series, to now being its own Batman "universe" with sequels and prequels and spin-offs - all AWFUL - yeah, f*ck that book. Miller's Batman is by FAR one of the worst interpretations of Batman anyone ever put on paper.

I'll never understand why people wank all over everything he does. He's worked on enough other projects to have proven that he has no talent. Other than DKR and some of his Daredevil stuff, nobody likes anything he's done. He got lucky ONCE; who cares about him anymore?

More like, his stuff ranges "from one of the most overrated to some of the worst". And Dave, DK2 IS really bad, but you might as well take a look at it. Just to see what it looks like when someone gets paid a million dollars to jack off and calls it a Batman comic. Total trash.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
snake
Disgusting

I've never read Year One, but I'm going to order the trade soon.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

Year One is actually really good, but I'm betting there were much tighter editorial restrictions in place on that one, since it was done in the ongoing Batman book and was supposed to be completely canon. There's almost none of Miller's usual nonsense in it. Pretty sure he was just putting Denny O'Neal's mandated ideas down on paper. Good; awful things happen when Miller's unfiltered madness is allowed to run free.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't read Batman comics, but I watched the animated movie adaption of the Dark Knight comics. I thought it was OK, nothing amazing.

I hate the idea of a girl Robin, and Batman fighting Superman was stupid and pointless. And then Batman fakes his death but lives underground in a cave for the rest of his life training "Batman people?"

Awful. Batman Beyond is the definitive future for Bruce Wayne, not this. And yes, I know this was an alternative universe story to begin with.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I don't read Batman comics, but I watched the animated movie adaption of the Dark Knight comics. I thought it was OK, nothing amazing.

I hate the idea of a girl Robin, and Batman fighting Superman was stupid and pointless. And then Batman fakes his death but lives underground in a cave for the rest of his life training "Batman people?"

Awful. Batman Beyond is the definitive future for Bruce Wayne, not this. And yes, I know this was an alternative universe story to begin with.
Why don't you like Carrie Kelley?
Old 12-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #14
discordiatookie
facehugger

I'm far from a Frank Miller defender or fanboy but I like what I like, and I have taken enjoyment from: most of Sin City, what I've read of his Daredevil run, Ronin and 300.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, Leo656...

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Ugh...

Wasn't Holy Terror enough to show Miller haven't been suited for making Batman stories for a very long time.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

Sin City's alright.

I've just never read anything of Miller's that was anywhere near as great, as original, or as ground-breaking as people have built it up to be. The guy HAS to be the most overrated creative talent in comics for the last 30 years, with Morrison probably being the only one who comes close.

I liked when he spent 15 years crying about how the world was denied his "true vision" for Robocop 2 due to studio meddling, and then when he finally did it as a comic book, the world collectively went, "Wow, okay, so Robocop 2 would've been awful no matter what. What a relief." That was hilarious.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #17
Brodie
Certified Teacher

I don't know why Scott Snyder would even agree to this.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #18
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Linkara is gonna have a heart attack....

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #19
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake;[I
1388667[/I]]This'll be fun. You guys see Miller recently? Stan Lee has obviously been draining his life force.
Oh damn, kid, awesome burn!!

Seriously, though, this idea does suck. Miller has totally lost his way; he parodies himself: Frank Miller trying out-Miller Frank Miller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Then they did "All Star Batman" and pretty much ruined that because Miller's nuts...
What about them?

Last edited by Venom; 01-09-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:05 PM   #20
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I don't know why Scott Snyder would even agree to this.
Publicity? Or maybe an attempt to breathe life into dwindling superhero comic sales?

I'd assume Miller influenced Snyder as a writer. Maybe he's able to look past All Star and TDKR2 because of nostalgia glasses.

Personally, I own TDKR and a good chunk of Miller's Daredevil work (the omnibus and a hardcover edition of Born Again). The 1982 Wolverine miniseries was good too--but a lot of that comes from Chris Claremont's writing. I remember hearing an interview about how he had to convince Miller that Logan was a worthwhile character. Anyone can understand Miller's influence...but I think "good" Frank Miller was off the scene before the first volume of Sin City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.

Last edited by Spike Spiegel; 02-02-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote