The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-29-2018, 10:26 AM   #21
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

You could say that for any animated series of them just like any cartoon based on comic book heroes. The differences that Cubed is explaining still applies.

As much we grow tiresome of the FW pandering Viacom does, the show itself still knew how to handle humor while the turtles take situations seriously whether the plotline or predicament was goofy or not. They (Raphael especially) knew when something was unnatural. It was 'camp' but in an entertaining way.

With Rise, I understand that it's a comedy but the humor just seems to either rely on what's popular or literally trying hard to gel with certain groups of its audiences. It feels like it's trying to hard to be funny but feels not natural. I'm still not keen on the designs and a few of the main characters are unlikable to me (Splinter being lazy, April being the Scrappy Doo, Leo being a try hard one-liner who couldn't even hold a candle to FW Raph or 03 Mikey). It's an acquired taste that just doesn't sit well with me, so far.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #22
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendamu View Post
This show feels like the 1987 version reincarnated for kids in 2018. Since I have a lot of nostalgia for the '87 version, my wife and I have a ton of fun with this show. We like most of the other versions of TMNT as well but for different reasons.

I'm really glad it's already been renewed for a second season because we really enjoy laughing together with this show.
I totally disagree on this. This show ain't nothing like the 1987 version. The 1987 series was way smarter then this. The 1987 show appealed to all ages. Rise appears to be more dumb down to appeal to a younger audience. So don't expect some huge plots that will resolve a few episodes later.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 10-29-2018 at 12:35 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #23
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I totally disagree on this. This show ain't nothing like the 1987 version. The 1987 series was way smarter then this. The 1987 show appealed to all ages. Rise appears to be more dumb down to appeal to a younger audience. So don't expect some huge plots that will resolve a few episodes later.
This is quite a shock from you given to how open you usually are towards TMNT. But I applaud you greatly.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #24
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
This is quite a shock from you given to how open you usually are towards TMNT. But I applaud you greatly.
I am very open to TMNT. But it bothers me when someone just all of sudden compares the new series to the original.

The original set a standard for TMNT in general. It doesn't have to be anything like the previous shows. It is its own thing. Its how I look at this. And I have no issues with it.

My only issue and its a minor one. Is its simplicity in its storytelling. Its the reason why this show is aimed at Kids. Do I hate it? Nope. I just feel they could do more with it and do something that even the adults can enjoy. Take a look at Teen Titans Go for example. Its a show made for Kids. But its humor is aimed at adults. There's a lot of it that would go over a kid's head. But for adults. They get laughs out of it.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #25
Powder
So tired of this place

It blows my mind how you can be so critical of this yet love the 2 most recent films.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #26
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

This thread blew my mind.

Wow, TigerClaw. You are definitely shocking us with your opinions here.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #27
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

This must really be the end times if TigerClaw is being critical of this show. I thought he loved everything.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #28
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Ralph TigerClaw Breaks the Internet Forum

You are now entering the Twilight, er, Turtlelight Zone.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #29
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:
I am very open to TMNT. But it bothers me when someone just all of sudden compares the new series to the original.

The original set a standard for TMNT in general. It doesn't have to be anything like the previous shows. It is its own thing. Its how I look at this. And I have no issues with it.

My only issue and its a minor one. Is its simplicity in its storytelling. Its the reason why this show is aimed at Kids. Do I hate it? Nope. I just feel they could do more with it and do something that even the adults can enjoy. Take a look at Teen Titans Go for example. Its a show made for Kids. But its humor is aimed at adults. There's a lot of it that would go over a kid's head. But for adults. They get laughs out of it.
My comparison isn't "all of a sudden" nor do you have to agree with me for my feelings on the show to be valid. I've watched everything that's been released or aired so far multiple times and, "This is like a reincarnation of the '87 toon for kids in 2018," is what I got from it.

If you don't get the '87 vibe from a colorful comedy show that's full of mutants and has Leo literally wielding a sword seemingly inspired by The Ninja Sword of Nowhere, then that's totally on you. Don't act like I'm somehow "wrong" for my interpretation of the material.

You're just repeating the same "new version hate" that happens every time this happens. Mirage to '87. '87 to 2k3. 90s films to the 2007 film. 2k3 to 2012. 2012 to Rise.

Every time. Like clockwork. And you're being a jerk about it, too.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:14 PM   #30
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The one thing I do not like. Is that all 4 turtles are different species of Turtles. I just don't see them as brothers in that way. In this show they aren't brothers in the biological sense. But rather as brothers just because they are mutants.

I prefer my Turtles to be related biologically. Which makes a lot more sense in the whole brother dynamic.

These Turtles are more like adopted Brothers. As the show progresses. Hopefully they explain how they all of a sudden end up in the same place they got mutated. Its pretty unsusual that a Red Ear Slider, a Box Turtle, Softshell Turtle. and a Snapping Turtle end up in the same place where the mutation happens. So hopefully this show will have a more logical explanation for that. But given that its a kids show. They are just gonna forego telling the origin and run with it. There origin has been explain so many times. They probably thought it was just best to just run with it. and hopefully people will buy it.

I'm seeing a lot of mix reactions to this new series. Not just here. But on the social medias. This has really struck a cord with a lot of people and there are concerns.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #31
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
The one thing I do not like. Is that all 4 turtles are different species of Turtles. I just don't see them as brothers in that way.
Um ... okay? What do you mean by th-

Quote:
In this show they aren't brothers in the biological sense. But rather as brothers just because they are mutants.

I prefer my Turtles to be related biologically. Which makes a lot more sense in the whole brother dynamic.
Oh. How do I explain this?

In this particular version, the turtles (and Splinter) are, at least metaphorically, supposed to represent a multicultural family unit. (Like, that's one of the main points of the series, yo.)

Hence, why they are all different species of that particular animal.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

People get it. Nobody doesn't "get it." Some of them just don't like it. Make sense?

And WOW, I've personally called TigerClaw many things, but "a jerk", I don't think, is one of them. Ouch. Bad form, son.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:08 PM   #33
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendamu View Post
My comparison isn't "all of a sudden" nor do you have to agree with me for my feelings on the show to be valid. I've watched everything that's been released or aired so far multiple times and, "This is like a reincarnation of the '87 toon for kids in 2018," is what I got from it.

If you don't get the '87 vibe from a colorful comedy show that's full of mutants and has Leo literally wielding a sword seemingly inspired by The Ninja Sword of Nowhere, then that's totally on you. Don't act like I'm somehow "wrong" for my interpretation of the material.

You're just repeating the same "new version hate" that happens every time this happens. Mirage to '87. '87 to 2k3. 90s films to the 2007 film. 2k3 to 2012. 2012 to Rise.

Every time. Like clockwork. And you're being a jerk about it, too.
You're gonna need to elaborate more on how you get a FW vibe out of this because any similarities between this and FW are pure coincidence.

No one is trying to "repeat the hate on the next version", especially someone like Tigerclaw. What a world when I have to defend someone I usually don't agree with.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #34
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Out of curiosity I created a Poll last night on which TMNT animated series is better. And I put in 4 selection with Rise being one of them. There's only 10 hours left. So pick one you personally think is the better series. This isn't a knock on Rise or anything. But I wanna see what the general consensus think is the better series.
https://twitter.com/TigerClaw305/sta...99995743248386
Old 10-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #35
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Out of curiosity I created a Poll last night on which TMNT animated series is better. And I put in 4 selection with Rise being one of them. There's only 10 hours left. So pick one you personally think is the better series. This isn't a knock on Rise or anything. But I wanna see what the general consensus think is the better series.
I don't do Twitter, but I'd vote for 4Kids. I suppose second place would have to be Nick 2012.

Also, it still feels really bizarre to see TC not liking something TMNT.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:34 AM   #36
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I don't do Twitter, but I'd vote for 4Kids. I suppose second place would have to be Nick 2012.

Also, it still feels really bizarre to see TC not liking something TMNT.
I never said I didn't like it. I don't know where all those assumptions came from. You can like a series even if you don't like one aspect of it.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 10-30-2018 at 10:45 AM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:50 AM   #37
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I never said I didn't like it. I don't know where all those assumptions came from. You can like a series even if you don't like one aspect of it.

That makes way more sense.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #38
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Shame: my own favorite series (2003/4Kids) is pretty low in the results, though at least it has votes at all.
80gmrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #39
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

2 hours left on my Twitter Poll. With 36 votes. Both 1987 and 2012 are tied with 39%. 2003 at 22%. And 2018 with 0%. I guess Rise is still completely under the radar by most fans since its still new.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #40
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

How can 2003 be so low? Honestly I'd say that one is tied for me with '87, both liked equally for separate reasons. (Yes, much of that reason for '87 being nostalgia.) 2012 a quite close second. (Honestly, if they were age-wise played more like the maturity of 2003's Turtles then it might have been a 3-way tie.)

'Rise' gets fourth (er, third if two were both in 1st?)... because there are no additional cartoons to put in front of it yet. (Unless those future ones were worse, god forbid.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote