The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #61
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Spoiler:
The thing is, they don't even attempt to explain it. Scully was declared infertile in season 5 of the show... and her and Mulder even tried in vitro fertilization to no luck. It's like Chris Carter completely forgot that and someone, maybe a PA, ran on and suggested they give Scully a couple of extra lines like, "I don't know how" and "I don't know, it just is."

The Skinner incident is crazy. He shoots Reyes in the head (it LOOKS like... though it kind of looks like the bullet could have maybe just grazed her skull a little... they definitely didn't want to commit either way) then Smoking Man drives fast toward Skinner to try and ram him to death. Skinner freaks out and, like, jumps under the car that Smoking Man's car is about to hit, then gets scrunched under there. The last time you see Skinner, Smoking Man is, like, looking down at Skinner's little feet sticking out from the wreckage, sneering. It's just... sooo weeeird and random. There is like 10 different things Skinner could have done but he chooses that?

William exploding people was surprisingly entertaining. And out of nowhere. It's like Carter watched "Stranger Things" and wanted to one-up Eleven.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #62
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Spoiler:
The thing is, they don't even attempt to explain it. Scully was declared infertile in season 5 of the show... and her and Mulder even tried in vitro fertilization to no luck. It's like Chris Carter completely forgot that and someone, maybe a PA, ran on and suggested they give Scully a couple of extra lines like, "I don't know how" and "I don't know, it just is."

The Skinner incident is crazy. He shoots Reyes in the head (it LOOKS like... though it kind of looks like the bullet could have maybe just grazed her skull a little... they definitely didn't want to commit either way) then Smoking Man drives fast toward Skinner to try and ram him to death. Skinner freaks out and, like, jumps under the car that Smoking Man's car is about to hit, then gets scrunched under there. The last time you see Skinner, Smoking Man is, like, looking down at Skinner's little feet sticking out from the wreckage, sneering. It's just... sooo weeeird and random. There is like 10 different things Skinner could have done but he chooses that?

William exploding people was surprisingly entertaining. And out of nowhere. It's like Carter watched "Stranger Things" and wanted to one-up Eleven.
Spoiler:
Skinner couldn't have met a different end? you know, more meaningful/action-like or something I don't remember Mulder and Scully trying to conceive, I'm sure I watched them all, maybe I missed one... or was it in that movie later on? I remember her being infertile.
Similar lines to before though 'I don't know how'

William exploding people? seems to have a lot powers going on there, guess they wanted to beef it up a bit.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #63
Sumac
Banned

At this point they might as well make a spin-off about William. Won't be the first time for Carter to do story about people with paranormal abilities.

Ah, BTW final episode, was kind of "finalish".
All major characters are either dead or ready to turn a new page in their lives.

Of course, it felt very very rushed like all "Mythology" episodes in the last 2 seasons, but at least it was more or less coherent.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #64
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
At this point they might as well make a spin-off about William. Won't be the first time for Carter to do story about people with paranormal abilities.
That would actually be the soundest option, at this point. The kid's not a bad actor, to boot. Though the character is kind of a walking deus ex machina now...
Spoiler:
he can alter his form to appear to people however and whenever he wants -- basically a shapeshifter -- he can explode anyone he wants with his mind and he is apparently bulletproof as well? This is too much.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #65
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
That would actually be the soundest option, at this point. The kid's not a bad actor, to boot. Though the character is kind of a walking deus ex machina now...
Spoiler:
he can alter his form to appear to people however and whenever he wants -- basically a shapeshifter -- he can explode anyone he wants with his mind and he is apparently bulletproof as well? This is too much.
Yeah I actually liked his actor, which is atypical, since I usually do not like young actors at all. As for his powers, X-files is a world with bunch of crazy ****, I think, if they really commit to it, they will figure out something.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #66
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Gillian expresses her dislike of the finale. Sort of.

http://www.toofab.com/2018/03/23/x-f...ason-11-finale
Old 03-24-2018, 01:24 AM   #67
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Haven't watched this yet - I'll get to it eventually - but I heard something about Reyes being involved somehow, which surprises me. They ever bother mentioning Doggett, too? Or does Robert Patrick not exist in this dojo anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Of course, it felt very very rushed like all "Mythology" episodes in the last 2 seasons, but at least it was more or less coherent.
"Rushed" might even be a fair assessment of late season mythology episodes even in the original X-Files show. I remember it was somewhere around season seven where the mythology arc episodes really started disappearing up their own ass, maybe even earlier. I don't know if Carter just never knew where he was going with it all or if his skill as a writer/showrunner just deteriorated enough over the years that he could never really get what he wanted across well.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:33 AM   #68
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Haven't watched this yet - I'll get to it eventually - but I heard something about Reyes being involved somehow, which surprises me.
Why would it be surprising? She was Smoking Man's #1 even in the last season two years ago as well.

Quote:
They ever bother mentioning Doggett, too? Or does Robert Patrick not exist in this dojo anymore?
Unless I missed one, I don't think he even got a mention or nod this season OR last.

Quote:
"Rushed" might even be a fair assessment of late season mythology episodes even in the original X-Files show. I remember it was somewhere around season seven where the mythology arc episodes really started disappearing up their own ass, maybe even earlier. I don't know if Carter just never knew where he was going with it all or if his skill as a writer/showrunner just deteriorated enough over the years that he could never really get what he wanted across well.
Somewhere within that, probably. Or his ideas were getting bigger while the budgets were getting smaller. I know he genuinely did want to do the big 2012 "day of alien invasion" movie, but no one would fund it.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:55 AM   #69
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Why would it be surprising? She was Smoking Man's #1 even in the last season two years ago as well.
I haven't watched any of the continuation seasons yet. Kind of passed me by. It surprises me on a base level because I'm not sure I expected they'd bring anything from the last two original seasons back for the reunion stuff. They're not exactly the seasons most people remember well.

Quote:
Unless I missed one, I don't think he even got a mention or nod this season OR last.
That's kind of a shame. If you're going to use Reyes, you'd think you'd at least mention Doggett. The last two seasons of the original show were weak, but I liked Doggett well enough. It was interesting to me just to see Robert Patrick in a regular role. When I finally watched the original show on DVD, he was mainly doing short guest stints on TV shows of the time, like Burn Notice.

Quote:
Somewhere within that, probably. Or his ideas were getting bigger while the budgets were getting smaller. I know he genuinely did want to do the big 2012 "day of alien invasion" movie, but no one would fund it.
I remember him talking it up for years. It's kind of strange he threw it away when he finally did get to continue the show, but then, it was years after 2012 by that point, so I guess he probably figured the moment was gone.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:59 AM   #70
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
That's kind of a shame. If you're going to use Reyes, you'd think you'd at least mention Doggett. The last two seasons of the original show were weak, but I liked Doggett well enough.
I, too, was hoping for the return of Doggett, or at least something. But I was also greedy... I hoped to also see the two detectives from "I Want to Believe" show up as well. Which is ironic, since the only reason those two detectives were created was because they couldn't get Doggett and Reyes for the movie. But they were endearing.

If you are hoping for a return of the Lone Gunmen, there is SOMETHING of that in this latest season. I actually found it more depressing than had there been nothing of it at all, though.

Quote:
I remember him talking it up for years. It's kind of strange he threw it away when he finally did get to continue the show, but then, it was years after 2012 by that point, so I guess he probably figured the moment was gone.
The previous season 2 years ago, they mention that the 2012 invasion was only delayed... which gave me hope. I think if they spent the final 3 episodes of X-Files on some kind of full-on, Independence Day-style alien invasion that would have been incredible. Like, "Whoaa... finally... the payoff!" But it ends like it begins... half-answers and more questions.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:37 PM   #71
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:

The previous season 2 years ago, they mention that the 2012 invasion was only delayed... which gave me hope. I think if they spent the final 3 episodes of X-Files on some kind of full-on, Independence Day-style alien invasion that would have been incredible. Like, "Whoaa... finally... the payoff!" But it ends like it begins... half-answers and more questions.
Yeah that would have been good, had they not been indecisive about continuing we might have gotten it.
They doubled up and finished it this week, just watched it. I needed that to have been 2 eps and not have the organ drinking people we got in the last ep. Over all it was enjoyable and felt like x-files, just the things pointed out already.
I wonder if: (we still doing spoilers?)

Spoiler:
William caused Scully's body to become pregnant, to help her let him go, I know that sounds a little cheesy but still, he did want her to do that. Hurtful for Mulder and Scully to find William wasn't Mulders. Also, he's not kill-able then, William? As for the idea of him carrying on, he could but as you pointed out all ready, is he a bit much?
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:09 PM   #72
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Finally watched the finale last weekend and have had some time to get my thoughts on this season together...

Good Lord what a sh!tty two hours of television this last three episodes were. After the blood-drinking MOTW episode I thought Surely there's no way the finale can be worse than this, but boy was I proven wrong. The Mr. Chuckleteeth episode felt like classic X-Files in a lot of ways and was genuinely creepy, and the smart technology nightmare episode was decent but could have been great with a few simple tweaks. Like, I get that the writers wanted to see how long they could go without any dialogue between Mulder and Scully but they let that go on for way too long. There were some pretty great moments in the episode despite it all, though.

Chris Carter really has become the show's worst enemy, as demonstrated by the worst parts of the past two revival seasons. I can totally see someone starting a petition to do one more, for-real-final season with both Duchovny and Anderson, with the stipulation that Carter stay far, far away.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote