The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like the idea of the turtles being aleins?
Absolutly! 5 2.70%
It doesn't matter to me 29 15.68%
Terrible! 151 81.62%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #61
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Do you really not expect people to take the first bit of REAL news about this movie and turn it into a huge speculative discussion?
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #62
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I don't like the idea at all but we don't even know much about the movie, I'll see how it plays out. Even with a radically different origin that doesn't mean I won't like the movie, I liked Batman Begins after all (more on that on my response below). I haven't really seen Michael Bay movies besides the first Transformers, now that is a franchise I don't care about and know nothing about but I enjoyed the movie for what it was, it took a concept I found silly and made something I was able to stomach. Way too early to doom the movie, don't overreact, it's ok to complain about it, I don't like the idea if they really are aliens but it doesn't doom the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Z Why don't they make Batman an alienin the reboot after Nolan's trilogy ends. It's the same deal.
Batman Begins changed plenty of stuff from the Batman mythos for his reboot, for one he gave Bruce a love interest who he knew since he was a kid, he changed the movie theater to a normal theater, Bruce was about to use a gun to kill his parents killer, talk about a change on what the character is known to hate one of his most important character traits. Also he allows Ras to die in the train. And yet the movie was still great.

Come on, this is coming from you who have mentioned multiple times how you don't understand people who won't give the Nick toon a chance just from seeing the character models. Why are you having double standards?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #63
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Come on, this is coming from you who have mentioned multiple times how you don't understand people who won't give the Nick toon a chance just from seeing the character models. Why are you having double standards?
I've been batting this around in my mind, and the only explanation I can come up with is this is a fundamental, quite major, change to the established origin. I mean "Mutant" is in the title.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #64
CyberCubed
Overlord

Where the hell did they get the idea to make the turtles into aliens?

Its just absurd.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #65
Foot Soldier Clang
Hench Mutant

If Micheal Bay is involved in the new TMNT, then I expect it to be a great visual movie, and that's all. If he gets the story right in anyway, I will consider it a bonus to what will probably be a great action-disaster movie. I also expect the Technodrome to appear to blow something up, or to be blown up.

We already got our near perfect adaptation of the comic. After that we got two sequels that feel like episodes of the OT, and a slightly-terrible-borderline-good CGI movie. Odds are we will never get a perfect adaptation of the comic, so we shouldn't waste hope for that. Let's just sit back and watch the turtles fight stuff, in slow motion, while things blow up.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #66
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

I may not like the idea of the turtles as aliens, but I am still giving this movie a chance. I'm not going to make this news make me miss the turtles coming back to the big screen,not after the comeback their trying to make. I guess we will have to wait until we see concept art or an interview. But I wonder, if the turtles are going to be like aliens(and that's a big IF), what about Master Splinter? Where will he fit in all this?

Last edited by TurtleTitan97; 03-17-2012 at 08:19 PM.
TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #67
Baxter Stockmen
Foot Soldier

It's hard not to take him saying they're aliens as a big deal. Them being mutant is so far away from being alien that even an idiot like Bay shouldn't confuse.

Oh, i'm looking for a Sideshow Statues.
Baxter Stockmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #68
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Batman Begins changed plenty of stuff from the Batman mythos for his reboot
Quote:
Bruce was about to use a gun to kill his parents killer
That's out of Batman: Year Two in the comics, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Soldier Clang View Post
We already got our near perfect adaptation of the comic.
Not even close.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #69
CyberCubed
Overlord

The origin story is a fundamental part of the character. If Superman was not from Planet Krypton, Batman did not lose his parents at the age of 8, and Spiderman did not get bitten by a radioactive spider, I would call foul unless it was a purpose "alternate universe" kind of deal.

The Turtles being aliens is just...offensive. Its almost as if its a dumbed down origin plot so people believe in talking Turtles. Its idiotic and borderline insulting.

Why the hell should people think a planet full of alien Turtles is going to be more believeable to the average joe blow seeing this movie?

Say what you will about the 3rd and 4th TMNT movies, but at least they were the same Turtles we know.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #70
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
I am still excited, though now I am more uneasy about this film...
I'd echo these thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Look another case of "Know what's gonna be said before the thread it opened."

Brodie and Stryker already said their piece, so who would of thunk Cure would get in on the fun?

The correct answer is "Everyone."
Haha, was thinking the same thing. That lot is hysterical...and not in a pleasant way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
If you can give me a solid reason or justification for everyone being so quick to judge something that they know nothing of, I will secede. Otherwise, go tend to your troll wife. I'm sure being pregnant with your child has taken a toll on her well being, already.
Really? Insulting people's wives over the internet on a forum that is discussing TMNT? Jesus, why are any of you still here? You make this place so much less enjoyable. Just go crawl in a hole somewhere.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #71
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Say what you will about the 3rd and 4th TMNT movies, but at least they were the same Turtles we know.
Eh, maybe the Turtles I'm passingly aware of and avoid. But I guess if your argument is "better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't," then I guess you have a point.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #72
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Spoiler:
Bay is a goddamned idiot, no question. Its been said in this thread that Bay was pushed out to talk about Turtles because he's a huge name, especially in relationship to what essentially equates to "toy movies." He's tied to exec producer. Shock and gasps. He was on the other Platinum Dune flicks too. You know what that means he did? SHoveled out money. He knew NOTHING of what was going on with any of those movies.

So am I worried about Bay being involved with the Turtles? No. Because he's an idiot who makes 3 hour long music videos and says stupid **** constantly. He didn't know anything about the Turtles prior to the film being handled by his production company. So does it surprise me that he thinks they're aliens? No. "Its a toy movie right? Aliens, right?"
While the "from an alien race" worries the hell out of me, I have a feeling this might be what's happening.

From everything I've read about the earlier PD films, he'd only come to set or the production offices a few times to "check in", so I wouldn't put it past him to know next to nothing about the actual film he's producing.

Still, it's kind of worrying. Hopefully Brad Fuller can confirm or deny this.
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #73
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Haha, was thinking the same thing. That lot is hysterical...and not in a pleasant way.

Really? Insulting people's wives over the internet on a forum that is discussing TMNT? Jesus, why are any of you still here? You make this place so much less enjoyable. Just go crawl in a hole somewhere.
Problem dawg? Because I'm not freaking out over what amounts to nothing you're upset. Whatever, keep being butthurt over anything we say.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #74
CyberCubed
Overlord

So watching that clip again it does seem Michael Bay might be confused. Aside from "coming from an alien planet," he says something about them being edgy and becoming loveable...whatever the hell that means.

I think he means "loveable" to kids watching the movie, or to the characters in the movie instead...who knows.

If they actually do feature the Utroms in this movie, or even Krang, and the mutagen/ooze starts from there but infects the Turtles on Earth then I would be more open to the origin.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #75
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy

Quote:
loveable...whatever the hell that means.
He means the audience will like the characters.
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #76
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

I say meh.
I think most of the worry has to do with Michael Bay and not the fact that the origin is being changed.
I mean I don't see anyone making a big fuss over IDW doing the same exact thing.

What I get from all of this (the new show, new comic, and movie) is that Nickelodeon wants to reboot everything and give it all it's own universe.

I mean it's been how many times before this?

Every time the format changes people start complaining.

Now I don't like everything that's being done like say teenage April or the 3 toes but really what can I do about it?
Nick asked us what we thought and didn't take any of it into consideration when told things like that are not good ideas and taking things too far.

So I really see no point in crying over it, if it happens it happens.
You can't change any of it and it's not like any of it is set in stone anyway.

I've also started taking Lairds long time advice "don't like it don't buy it".
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #77
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
becoming loveable...
That's probably the most scary thing I've read about the new movie yet.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #78
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughnMichael View Post
I think most of the worry has to do with Michael Bay and not the fact that the origin is being changed.
I mean I don't see anyone making a big fuss over IDW doing the same exact thing.
To be fair, I'm not 100% in love with the changes IDW made to the origin either...

My big gripe is the is the potential alien origin. I have little quarrel with Mr. Bay. But I can only speak for myself.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:57 AM   #79
CrazySquirrel
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I've been batting this around in my mind, and the only explanation I can come up with is this is a fundamental, quite major, change to the established origin. I mean "Mutant" is in the title.

This is exactly it. If you ask anyone a short quiz about the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" if all you tell them is the name of the franchise it should be simple enough to not get basic things wrong.

Are they adults?
No the name says they are teenagers.
Are they military soldiers?
No they are Ninjas.
Are they frogs?
No in the title it says they are turtles.
Are they aliens?
No they are mutants.

People have the right to complain about this because this is a HUGE mistake stated on stage by someone involved with making this movie. We have every right to be scared. Its a very hard mistake to make to call them aliens in the first statement made about the movie.

To be fair maybe this wasn't supposed to be public information ...

Last edited by CrazySquirrel; 03-18-2012 at 03:24 AM.
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #80
Rikirk
Foot Soldier

Someone must have been offended by the term Mutant.

"Yes, yes I admit I tuned you out but in my defense its because I already figured out that youre stupid.'---Dr Rodney McKay - Stargate: Atlantis
Rikirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancelled media, depressing, gay