Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #2981
Tortuglio
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ectomane View Post
Just imagine, these could have been the new Ninja Turtles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F4Y76dh3PM
Ugh, totally. When people starts complaining about looking like TTG i think of these (which was a blend with MAD). We are lucky we avoided those turds!

To me, they're targeting the show towards the kids fromt 2012 that've grown up into preteens or even teenagers. I mean, magic powers? hulking raph? Seems to me like something a preteen or teen would think would make the turtles "badasses".

The desings aren't bad, they aren't unwatchable... except for Splinter. At least in that only picture he looks terrible, like constrained The important thing here is that the scripts are good and that the animation it's fluid and well done.

I don't know, we'll have to wait and see how good or bad it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihe View Post
I just hope ROTMNT brings a good era of games too.
And this, of course
Old 02-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #2982
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaterro View Post
Yeah you're right, we won't know until then. I agree with the forced PC too, I wish we could go back to the sexy 87 April
Even if the show turns out to be total PC trash, I would still watch any episode that crosses the 2012 or 80s turtles in. I would say the 2003 turtles, but that ain't gonna happen.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
Old 02-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #2983
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
I would say the 2003 turtles, but that ain't gonna happen.
Not enough Beebop! Or Pizza Face!
Old 02-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #2984
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
Even if the show turns out to be total PC trash, I would still watch any episode that crosses the 2012 or 80s turtles in. I would say the 2003 turtles, but that ain't gonna happen.
Why do people think they won't include 2003? Just curious, is there a reason or people generally think they don't care about it or there's too much to fit in already?
Old 02-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #2985
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Why do people think they won't include 2003? Just curious, is there a reason or people generally think they don't care about it or there's too much to fit in already?
Because they had like 5 crossovers in 2012 and 4Kids show up in precisely 0. Just lots of Fred Wolf, Fred Wolf, Fred Wolf service.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:19 AM   #2986
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I can understand not liking a design. But I wonder what made the internet explode with anger and hate yesterday? Did older fans expect an 87’ clone? That would be boring to have the exact same thing over, over and over again. And disrespectful in my opinion to try and make an identical duplicate of the 87’ show. Yeah draw a little inspiration from the past but not clone.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #2987
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Because they had like 5 crossovers in 2012 and 4Kids show up in precisely 0. Just lots of Fred Wolf, Fred Wolf, Fred Wolf service.
Yeah, still that show liked to acknowledge the original toon (as in where the toons started) in the new show they will have different dimensions so scope for seeing various incarnations, if they choose to use it that is.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #2988
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I can understand not liking a design. But I wonder what made the internet explode with anger and hate yesterday? Did older fans expect an 87’ clone? That would be boring to have the exact same thing over, over and over again. And disrespectful in my opinion to try and make an identical duplicate of the 87’ show. Yeah draw a little inspiration from the past but not clone.
The places I saw seemed to be about 85% hate. rather surprised considering the love fest that is this new generation.

Personally, I just HATE stylized design. and change for the sake of change. that is what this screams of. and it doesn't feel like it comes from a place of love, but a place of, what can we change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I watched the reveal livestream on YouTube and it didn’t give me the best impression. Rob Paulson sure was pleasant, the interviewer did the best he could, and having Kevin there is never a bad thing, but the producers of the show didn’t seem too enthused and forgot to show any sort of passion for their work.
yeah, the producers, or whoever they where, look like they where sleep walking through the whole thing.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Old 02-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #2989
Donaterro
Thug

Quote:
Probably because the designs for the most part are not aesthetically pleasing.
Changing too many things about their personalities, weapons, etc.

This is what was pitched to Cartoon Network in 2001, when you could have awesome looking Turtles like this, and get what we're given instead. The rage is understandable. It could be so easy, really.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #2990
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I honestly believe most casual fans do want an '87 clone honestly, a lot of casual fans I know still think the 2012 series is something they'll get on board with...thinking the FW series is still the "original"
Old 02-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #2991
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Even as a fan of most iterations I was getting kind of sick of the FW service.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #2992
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
The places I saw seemed to be about 85% hate. rather surprised considering the love fest that is this new generation.

Personally, I just HATE stylized design. and change for the sake of change. that is what this screams of. and it doesn't feel like it comes from a place of love, but a place of, what can we change?
Quote:
Probably because the designs for the most part are not aesthetically pleasing.
Changing too many things about their personalities, weapons, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskater View Post
I honestly believe most casual fans do want an '87 clone honestly, a lot of casual fans I know still think the 2012 series is something they'll get on board with...thinking the FW series is still the "original"
Oh. So some maybe expected an ‘87 clone. While others just got hit with to many changes at once. Or needed more reasoning for the changes. And then many just found that the designs made their eyes bleed. Or just prefer a more natural smooth looking design. I can understand that I suppose.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #2993
ABrown
Banned

The designs for the new show look interesting. I'm a little more curious now to see what the final product is going to look like.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #2994
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
One thing I'm noticing, is a lot of you are either neutral or positive on these designs. If you look at the internet on the whole, its 90 percent negative.

I hope the show itself has good writing and makes up for this, but I'm not too hopeful. Time will tell.
Most other people on the internet barely follow TMNT and are casuals, they barely ever watched the other shows or read any comics, etc. It's like the same people cheering for the TMNT included in Injustice even though most of those people never read/watched a TMNT related thing since they were kids.

It's kind of a weird thing, there are people who never revisited TMNT since their childhood in the mid-90's but act like they're authorities on the franchise even though they know nothing else about it. I can't think of any other franchise where people do this, other than Pokemon I suppose. I guess that's the problem with fad franchises, people think it must remain exactly the same as whenever they were first exposed to it as kids.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #2995
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most other people on the internet barely follow TMNT and are casuals, they barely ever watched the other shows or read any comics, etc. It's like the same people cheering for the TMNT included in Injustice even though most of those people never read/watched a TMNT related thing since they were kids.

It's kind of a weird thing, there are people who never revisited TMNT since their childhood in the mid-90's but act like they're authorities on the franchise even though they know nothing else about it. I can't think of any other franchise where people do this, other than Pokemon I suppose. I guess that's the problem with fad franchises, people think it must remain exactly the same as whenever they were first exposed to it as kids.
CBR posted an article saying pretty much exactly that:

Dear Angry TMNT Fans, It May Be Time to Let Go

Last edited by ProphetofGanja; 02-02-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #2996
Filespit
Hench Mutant

Well, there's certainly enough stuff here to have opinions on.

First of all, I totally understand the wish and decision from the creators of this show to make a new and fresh take on the franchise, and so they've changed a lot of stuff, but in my opinion they've made TOO many changes.

The fact that the Turtles are of different species gives me just as little as giving them different physical attributes to differ them, like the 2012 show did. It obviously also raises the question if they're actually related or not. They could all have the same mother obviously, but hey...

Regarding their designs, I think they could've looked far worse but I'm not really sold on this. I don't get the obsession of making Raph big and bulky because he's the toughest, and making Donnie thin and covered in tech just because he's smart. I'm not against these designs but they do look a bit off for my taste.

Splinter... well, he doesn't look as terrible as the 2014 movie version but still not that great. As for April, I'm not against her switching skin color but to me this feels like a move they made just because they could. Not what I was expecting.

Over all, what disturbs me the most is that once again this franchise stays trapped in the kids category. Obviously it's what is expected from Nickelodeon but still... I will give this a shot, but I'm not completely convinced.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #2997
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
CBR posted an article saying pretty much exactly that:

Dear Angry TMNT Fans, It May Be Time to Let Go
Teen Titans I think gets this kind of treatment I think, Batman to some extent I believe too.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #2998
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskater View Post
Teen Titans I think gets this kind of treatment I think, Batman to some extent I believe too.
The irony of it all is I remember when the 2003 Teen Titans first debuted, it was absolutely hated by comic fans and people also disliked the "fake anime" art style it used. People complained how Starfire was kiddified from her comic counterpart, all the anime joke moments, etc.

Then after it aired the show became incredibly popular, and now the 2003 Teen Titans is considered one of the most popular and nostalgic shows of the 2000's. And all those fans hate on Teen Titans Go.

It's pretty funny, especially for those of us who were old enough to already be online in the early 2000's and remember when THOSE shows got hate.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #2999
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Inb4 a new Rise of the TMNT forum opens up and Cubed feels the need to go there and educate the newbies.
Your obsession with him is sad and weird. Put some energy into posting about things you do like, it's much better for you. We need more Cybercubeds in this fandom, & less naysayers who speak without offering any insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
They only care about the money. They don't give two ****s about the characters.
You haven't the slightest clue. Their involvement with the property goes back 6 years, & they've put a lot of work into both the last & current versions. I have met Andy in person a few years back, we spoke for half an hour or longer, the guy is very much into and proud of what he does. & he's a hard worker, doing animated shorts, his own comic series at IDW, & now an entire TMNT cartoon, all at once, in addition to being a father of two kids. That warrants respect, in my book. He pitched his own show years before it was even a realistic possibility, I'll have you know. You're more than entitled to dislike what he chooses to do with the TMNT, but don't act like he doesn't care just because it doesn't align with your ideals. You don't exactly get rich doing this stuff either, bruh.
Quote:
One thing I'm noticing, is a lot of you are either neutral or positive on these designs. If you look at the internet on the whole, its 90 percent negative.
That's because for the most part this forum has an entirely different caliber of fan on it. We're lifers. People who largely find joy in every iteration, barring one or two exceptions apiece. & I don't mean fanboys with no standards who accept anything, I mean fans who generally don't have biases toward "their" version, & understand that the core values of what makes TMNT TMNT is virtually omnipresent. They're only ever mad when New Thing isn't a carbon copy of Old Thing.

Cubed worded it perfectly.

Quote:

We've always been on the same page about this, it's so frustrating. Genwunners are definitely similar to the FW-only crowd, though our nostalgia-blind sector is far greater than theirs & as a result has a more significant impact on the brand, unfortunately. I don't know any other fandoms like them.

What ticks me off about the general backlash to their new look is that it comes from the same people who licked the boot of Platinum Dunes & similar fan interpretations who went with the whole "their personality should come across visually" thing. How they could possibly like those designs but not Rise's, which heavily evoke the thought of the former, is beyond me.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Old 02-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #3000
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
The irony of it all is I remember when the 2003 Teen Titans first debuted, it was absolutely hated by comic fans and people also disliked the "fake anime" art style it used. People complained how Starfire was kiddified from her comic counterpart, all the anime joke moments, etc.

Then after it aired the show became incredibly popular, and now the 2003 Teen Titans is considered one of the most popular and nostalgic shows of the 2000's. And all those fans hate on Teen Titans Go.

It's pretty funny, especially for those of us who were old enough to already be online in the early 2000's and remember when THOSE shows got hate.
That's exactly what I'm getting at. And even Teen Titans Go has it's fair share of fans....I mean someone has to be watching it if they show it so much on Cartoon Network. All of this outrage just rings of "I remember back in my day" old man sentiment IMO.

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters