The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 06-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #101
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post

Also, I worked some more on the game on Sunday. The next step was to finish the dojo stage, but I decided instead to work on a new stage that wasn't part of the original plan. I am using the construction site stage from the TMNT game for GBA. I still have to recolor it to fit the rest of the game, but I wanted to share some things.

One are net trappings, if you're not careful and step on one you get trapped momentarily.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/a...20-%200246.png

The enemies in this stage are not only Foot Soldiers but also these guys:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...31-496x375.jpg

...who are complete wimps and can be defeated with only one hit.

Bosses are Tokka and Rahzar. Here's the Tokka WIP:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/a...comparison.png

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/a...20-%200247.png

And lastly but not leastly the music for the stage is all new and composed by our very own Powder!

Oh and also I got rid of the dark background in the upper part of the screen.
I loved that GBA game for its detailed backgrounds, but I hadn't really thought about how appropriate the junk yard scene would be as an adaptation to the Secret of the Ooze movie until you made the little homages to things like the net traps! Brilliant humor! Seeing the pathetic Crooked Ninja Turtle Gang is gonna be a blast. I love "joke" enemies in games, and I think seeing how homage classic TMNT cartoon, movie, or game history may be my favorite part of this project.

I can't wait to hear Powder's new stuff.

As for the 2nd phase of the Rooftop level, I'm a little bit of a glutton for a challenge, but is there any chance you might wanna include some additional enemies during the platforming challenges? I was thinking of more Foot Balloons or other small aerial enemies to make the jump a little trickier. At present, characters with jump kick attacks (Turtles, Mona) seem to have a great advantage because they can bypass the necessity for precisely timed jumps while characters without those attacks like April have it much more difficult. Some enemies high up in the sky would even out the playing field a little since April's whip attack is much more reliable against those critters while the jump kick can leave the player more vulnerable.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #102
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
OK, this is going to sound stupid.

I have Parallels, so I CAN play the PC version.

However, I have no idea how to install the game.

Help?
No need to install anything, just unzip the file and run OpenBOR.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
I have a question. In the original NES games you would always see however you were rescuing during the boss fights being held capture in the backgrounds. Is that something you plan to do for this game?
That is a very good question and something I have been thinking about since I started working on the rescuing/unlocking aspect of the game. There's good things and bad thing about showing the the characters to be rescued earlier during a boss fight, the bad things being that it might get old fast, and that it can ruin the surprise of having a "fake" stage boss (that ends up being actually a mini boss)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I loved that GBA game for its detailed backgrounds, but I hadn't really thought about how appropriate the junk yard scene would be as an adaptation to the Secret of the Ooze movie until you made the little homages to things like the net traps! Brilliant humor! Seeing the pathetic Crooked Ninja Turtle Gang is gonna be a blast. I love "joke" enemies in games, and I think seeing how homage classic TMNT cartoon, movie, or game history may be my favorite part of this project.

I can't wait to hear Powder's new stuff.

As for the 2nd phase of the Rooftop level, I'm a little bit of a glutton for a challenge, but is there any chance you might wanna include some additional enemies during the platforming challenges? I was thinking of more Foot Balloons or other small aerial enemies to make the jump a little trickier. At present, characters with jump kick attacks (Turtles, Mona) seem to have a great advantage because they can bypass the necessity for precisely timed jumps while characters without those attacks like April have it much more difficult. Some enemies high up in the sky would even out the playing field a little since April's whip attack is much more reliable against those critters while the jump kick can leave the player more vulnerable.
Thank you as always, oldman. It's funny that you mention that, in the other forums I got the comment that the stage is tough with jumpkick characters as it's easy to be knocked out by the balloons.
I would like to add another type of enemy to that stage, to add a bit of variety to the cyclopses and balloons. Maybe those birdlike enemis that take a dive when they're close to the player.

Regarding some stages being easier to beat with some characters than with others, that is kind of the intention. If players like the game enough to play it a second time, they'll have enough knowledge to pick characters that are better suited for each stage.

Which is to say that every character has strengths and weaknesses, but I would like to make an exception with Vernon. I would like to add him too, but as a completely unbalanced character, a total joke. Low stamina, low reach, short jumps, all bad. You'd only pick him if you're a masochist OR an expert looking for a challenge.

By the way, Tokka and Rahzar were originally going to be the bosses of the Channel Six building. Now that slot is free. Who should be the bosses(es) there? Most other bosses are already planned for other stages but I could shuffle things around.

Last edited by Nelson; 06-03-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #103
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Which is to say that every character has strengths and weaknesses, but I would like to make an exception with Vernon. I would like to add him too, but as a completely unbalanced character, a total joke. Low stamina, low reach, short jumps, all bad. You'd only pick him if you're a masochist OR an expert looking for a challenge.

By the way, Tokka and Rahzar were originally going to be the bosses of the Channel Six building. Now that slot is free. Who should be the bosses(es) there? Most other bosses are already planned for other stages but I could shuffle things around.
Heh, I actually like the idea of Vernon being the boss! Maybe even his mutant spider form seen in Revenge of the Fly?

As far as the more established boss characters, maybe you could use a bunch of gangsters, robot hordes, or mad scientists?

View my sketch work!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #104
Powder
So tired of this place

No idea why these guys popped into my head but they could be interesting bosses:
Spoiler:

If not them, how about (one of) the insect versions of the Channel Six crew from when Baxter had that ooze gun? Or Scumbug/Wyrm. I dunno, I'm craving insect mutants.

I haven't gotten around to playing the new demo but I will definitely share my thoughts once I do!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #105
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Heh, I actually like the idea of Vernon being the boss! Maybe even his mutant spider form seen in Revenge of the Fly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
If not them, how about (one of) the insect versions of the Channel Six crew from when Baxter had that ooze gun?
Thanks!

Quote:
No idea why these guys popped into my head but they could be interesting bosses:
For the Dimension X stage, maybe?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #106
Xav
Foot Elite

Are you going to put in enemies in the overhead stage like in the first NES game?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #107
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Are you going to put in enemies in the overhead stage like in the first NES game?
No.

(message is too short)
Old 06-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #108
Powder
So tired of this place

Funny, I didn't even read Winters' post. Now I feel silly for having said the same thing.

Great minds, as they say...!

Old 06-04-2015, 07:22 AM   #109
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Funny, I didn't even read Winters' post. Now I feel silly for having said the same thing.

Great minds, as they say...!
Aw, man, totally! Bring on Spider-Vernon!
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...&postcount=149

(And maybe Bee Burn too?)

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 06-04-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #110
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Cool piece, man! Oh and also:
Quote:
...is Leo being kinky?
Old 06-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #111
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Cool piece, man! Oh and also:

...is Leo being kinky?
Nah, the Channel 6 insectoids trapped Leo in a cocoon like substance. It does seem like poor Leo gets positioned in a lot of awkward screencaps though.

And thanks for the compliment on my Revenge of the Fly tribute piece, I've had it sitting on my computer for months upon months as I've slowly been adding digital color to it now and then.

Is Baxter Stockman (Fly version) already assigned as a level boss in your game? It might make sense to have him as the Channel Six boss, especially if you feature mutated Channel Six employees as enemies or mini-bosses in that level.

View my sketch work!
Old 06-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #112
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Is Baxter Stockman (Fly version) already assigned as a level boss in your game? It might make sense to have him as the Channel Six boss, especially if you feature mutated Channel Six employees as enemies or mini-bosses in that level.
Good idea!!!

Baxter was assigned to another level but it was very random. Makes more sense to have him at the Channel 6 building as you say.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #113
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
I'm sure there are even some models for non Channel 6 staff that could work as enemies.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:39 PM   #114
Xav
Foot Elite

I just realized something. The character select screen says "Select Your Mutant!". Shouldn't you change that? As all the playable characters aren't mutants.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:26 AM   #115
CyberCubed
Overlord

Tempestra coming out of a TV screen would be cool.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:33 AM   #116
Powder
So tired of this place

Just beat the latest demo. I'm floored! This is gonna be the illest thing ever when it's done. I can't wait for the punk frogs!

Old 06-06-2015, 03:06 AM   #117
Raph
Mad Scientist

Hi Nelson,

I haven't been in this thread for some time. Scrolling back seeying all the progres, I must say you are doing an amazing job. I still need to download the latest demo, but it already looks great, you could fool me that this is an officially released XBL arcade game or something.

Thumbs up!
Old 06-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #118
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Thank you Rutger for stopping by!

Thanks guys for your comments and suggestions.

Xav, the "select your mutant" text is incorrect but accurate to the Playmates cardbacks and catalogues.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #119
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

Xav, the "select your mutant" text is incorrect but accurate to the Playmates cardbacks and catalogues.
Indeed, I love the classic toy packaging references!

Original 1988 Line:

1990 approximation:

View my sketch work!
Old 06-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #120
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Just finished. Played as Leo, then Slash, then Mona. Pretty great so far. Kinda sad there aren't so many Slash audio clips. But other wise plays awesome.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan game, remix