Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #81
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Ironic how?
Probably because of how recent it is compared to other TMNT series that are much older, such as the original Mirage ones which I think don't quite count as longest running due to the aforementioned breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
It's probably because of the "Teenage" title it's so hard to get past that.
Yeah, basically. I'll admit, it might be a little strange to have a new show start when they're already adults instead of having them gradually grow older or some such.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #82
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
Probably because of how recent it is compared to other TMNT series that are much older, such as the original Mirage ones which I think don't quite count as longest running due to the aforementioned breaks.
Yep, it's also due to the fact that the older stuff will always feel like it "lasts longer" in any fandom due to it being when a series starts and most fans being young kids at the time making it seem like it went on forever. Time moves faster as an adult. For example the 4kids TMNT series is now 14 years old...having started back in 2003. Yet it sure doesn't feel that way for some reason. Same thing with the people in other fandoms like pokemon who don't realize Misty's been gone over 14 years as well.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #83
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yep, it's also due to the fact that the older stuff will always feel like it "lasts longer" in any fandom due to it being when a series starts and most fans being young kids at the time making it seem like it went on forever. Time moves faster as an adult. For example the 4kids TMNT series is now 14 years old...having started back in 2003. Yet it sure doesn't feel that way for some reason. Same thing with the people in other fandoms like pokemon who don't realize Misty's been gone over 14 years as well.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I still vividly remember the day I found out about TMNT 2K3 premiering, and I was about fifteen or so. I guess a part of it is that franchises like TMNT and Pokemon endure for a long time, and have a lot of elements that make them memorable even when they're not around (though in Pokemon's case, the anime's been running while the newer games only appear every few years).

As for the Misty thing, that's still true. I also still see some people around who seem to be under the impression that the modern TMNT is basically still the 80s cartoon and don't seem to be aware of the recent cartoons or comics...which is really weird, but it seems to come from clueless folks outside the actual fandom.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #84
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

When I was younger, I didn't consider anything from the 1970's and later to be "old", mostly because most films and TV since then have been in colour. But now I do, more an more, so eventually even the 2003-2009 animated TV-series will soon feel old even for us who recall when it aired.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #85
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think the case is some adults don't actually realize how old they are, and that the kids of today are growing up with totally different things than they were.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #86
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think it has more to do with, as adults, we slip into repetition and routine, so the passage of time is more difficult to register with the brain. And then memory itself/storage doesn't work like when you were younger... and if you're retaining less memories, then it wouldn't seem like so much time has passed in your mind.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #87
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Not such a vision to be honest. The Mirage stuff (flawed as it may be) is still the start of TMNT and well of creativity, most of the FW cartoon is just a rushed pile of cartoon clichés, bad jokes and a showcase of toys they wanted sold.
Oh here we go. You can't just leave it alone can you. After pages of me explaining plus me quoting at least two sources you still think the Fred Wolf cartoon had no creative ambition and that it was made episode to episode to incorporate toys. I don't claim to know everything on TMNT but when someone knows more than you on a particular subject it's good to listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
It needs them, or else Purple Dragons, Utroms and Triceratons (or Armaggon and Verminator X if you want Archie antagonists).
Ha, ha! You can have so much fun with Bebop and Rocksteady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
Honestly, I feel if Disney would've bought the franchise the live action movies would've been handled with much more care and respect than the terrible Platinum Dunes films.
Yeah because Disney have done wonders with Star Wars???
Old 02-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #88
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Honestly, at the moment I'm to the point of being entirely fine with having a break from them anyhow. You can only rehash the same basic stories (albeit in slightly new ways) so much before driving it into the ground.

Somebody please someday stop trying to reinvent the wheel and imagine what the Turtles' 20+ years would be like. (Preferably with a Mirage/2003 tone.) There's no reason it really even has to be all that different; still together as a family, they're simply older, wiser, even better skilled individually and as a team, and facing new criminals and villains plaguing the city/world. There's so much room for them to grow, and yet that old wheel just keeps getting new, if vaguely different, tread. The safe zone of the tried and true, I guess...
I dunno....Geriatric Mutant Turtles just doesn't sound as catchy as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... ^^
Old 02-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #89
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I dunno....Geriatric Mutant Turtles just doesn't sound as catchy as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... ^^
"NINJA TURTLES." Done. Simple. Flows off the tongue nice.

Or Erik Larsen told me once that the plan with Image/Vol. 3 was that when the Turtles hit 20, they wouldn't change the title or logo... but they'd add a big "X" over the "Teenage" in the title. Doesn't seem a terrible idea, either.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #90
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Or Erik Larsen told me once that the plan with Image/Vol. 3 was that when the Turtles hit 20, they wouldn't change the title or logo... but they'd add a big "X" over the "Teenage" in the title. Doesn't seem a terrible idea, either.
That woulda been cool. But I thought they turned 20 at the beginning of the volume, Issue #1? Or was that their 19th birthday party?
Old 02-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #91
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
That woulda been cool. But I thought they turned 20 at the beginning of the volume, Issue #1? Or was that their 19th birthday party?
No, they turned 18 in #1. They turned 19 in #23.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:04 AM   #92
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
No, they turned 18 in #1. They turned 19 in #23.
THAT was it. Thanks, man. I'd forgotten that the series both began and ended with a birthday... which was a pretty freaking cool idea, I think.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #93
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Erik Larsen told me once that the plan with Image/Vol. 3 was that when the Turtles hit 20, they wouldn't change the title or logo... but they'd add a big "X" over the "Teenage" in the title. Doesn't seem a terrible idea, either.
That would've been interesting. BTW, does anyone recollect the 5-part storyarc from the Archie comics that took place in the future? The cover logo took out the word "Teenage" and replaced it with Cyber Samurai. Of course this was just a gimmick used to advertise that particular toyline Playmates had just come out with.

www.jephael.com
Old 02-02-2017, 11:47 AM   #94
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
That would've been interesting. BTW, does anyone recollect the 5-part storyarc from the Archie comics that took place in the future? The cover logo took out the word "Teenage" and replaced it with Cyber Samurai. Of course this was just a gimmick used to advertise that particular toyline Playmates had just come out with.
Which was corny and obviously mandated... but I love how they owned it and just ran with it. "Cyber Samurai? OK, fine. We'll make it work." And they did, pretty much.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #95
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Which was corny and obviously mandated... but I love how they owned it and just ran with it. "Cyber Samurai? OK, fine. We'll make it work." And they did, pretty much.
That was one my favorite story lines from the comics, being able to see what the Turtles were like as adults, in a future caused by global warming, and being forced to live above ground after New York got flooded.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #96
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Oh here we go. You can't just leave it alone can you. After pages of me explaining plus me quoting at least two sources you still think the Fred Wolf cartoon had no creative ambition and that it was made episode to episode to incorporate toys. I don't claim to know everything on TMNT but when someone knows more than you on a particular subject it's good to listen.
Who? Fred Wolf, the man who claimed he wanted make more than a toy commercial while producing a transparent toy commercial? Or the woman who co-wrote like two or three episodes and you couldn't link her statement, just posting her alleged statement of hers from a chat? Or maybe some of David Wise's blatant and egocentric lies?
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 02-03-2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #97
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Not until we're all ancient enough to appreciate it.

Poor dears, if they go from teen to senior citizen with no adulthood between I feel bad for them.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #98
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:

No, it doesn't, but I was partially joking when saying "geriatric".

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Not until we're all ancient enough to appreciate it.

Poor dears, if they go from teen to senior citizen with no adulthood between I feel bad for them.
Yeah, that would be sad.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:49 PM   #99
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post

Yeah because Disney have done wonders with Star Wars???
Rogue One is the best Star Wars anything since The Empire Strikes Back, and Rebels is considered one of the best as well (haven't seen that one yet so I can't give my opinion) I'll give you VII though, I really didn't enjoy that movie and Kylo "crybaby" Ren is pathetic.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:48 PM   #100
CyberCubed
Overlord

The new Star Wars films were a complete success and some of the highest grossing films in recent memory. Whether you liked them or not doesn't matter given the amount of money they made.
Closed Thread

Tags
nickelodeon, tmnt