The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #1081
somethingreal
Banned

Hello Mister Curnow. Thank you for the time to do this.
In the first few issues it is mentioned that Yoshi prayed to all the powers of the universe to have a chance at revenge for what Saki did to his family. Was that implying any sort of higher power or god existing within the IDW universe to help resurrect them, or was it just a coincidence considering its been known to have a connection to DNA?

(I'm indifferent either way and have nothing against whatever the answer may be.)
somethingreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #1082
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

That's one of the central mysteries of the series, so I'll abstain from a direct answer (which there might not even be one!)
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #1083
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

insider question

Finishing up reading the TMNT/Batman crossover. Anyway you guys & gals can permnantly give Splinter Harley Quinns Mallett? Haha. That was too awesome.
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #1084
ChosenOne
Banned

Is it too much of a spoiler to ask if IDW Bishop is an enhanced human like in the 2003 cartoon?

Will the first arc of Universe already give us some insight into his origins, motivations and objectives?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #1085
ToTheNines
[sic]

Hey Bobby, been a while since I've bugged you with a chronological question. We haven't had a true companion book since Casey/April #4, crazy! Anyways, am I correct in assuming Universe #1 would go after #65 and BRDE?

Also, can you place the Eastman backup with it being a spoiler?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #1086
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

A bit of time takes place in between TMNT #64 and #65, so i'd put both Universe 1-4 and BRDE in between them. Let's say BRDE goes first.

You can put the back up in that same time period, let's say after Universe #1-4, though it's certainly flexible.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #1087
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
A bit of time takes place in between TMNT #64 and #65, so i'd put both Universe 1-4 and BRDE in between them. Let's say BRDE goes first.

You can put the back up in that same time period, let's say after Universe #1-4, though it's certainly flexible.
Is there a specific end point for universe you are going for or is it set to be a long ongoing thing like the main comic?
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #1088
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

We intend to publish it for as long as there's sales! No end point.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:27 PM   #1089
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
We intend to publish it for as long as there's sales! No end point.
Would there ever be an opportunity for us fans to pitch an idea, similar to Pocket Books' "Strange New Worlds" anthologies for their Star Trek publishing line a few years ago?
Old 08-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #1090
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Not that I can see on the horizon, no.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:59 PM   #1091
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Hey Bobby, about how close are the stories in Universe going to tie into the main ongoing series? It looks like the adventures in each are going to be separated but will Universe have content that will push the main book forward like how Secret History of the Foot Clan lead into City Fall etc. I'm guessing it's a mix of everything depending on the story each month...
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:30 PM   #1092
PaulAllor
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Cool, cool. Been curious about this, myself!
PaulAllor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #1093
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
Hey Bobby, about how close are the stories in Universe going to tie into the main ongoing series? It looks like the adventures in each are going to be separated but will Universe have content that will push the main book forward like how Secret History of the Foot Clan lead into City Fall etc. I'm guessing it's a mix of everything depending on the story each month...
Your instinct is correct. I'd say overall about as much as any given mini-series that we've seen in the past, maybe a little more so, although certain issues will be more self-contained, so those would be less so. All things considered, not essential to read Universe to understand the ongoing, but it will definitely enhance the ongoing reading experience.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:53 PM   #1094
CyberCubed
Overlord

How much research is done when you guys decide to bring back an old TMNT character from a previous series? Like for example Bishop is appearing now, and we know Tom Waltz is a big fan of the 4kids series and watched all the episodes with him in them. Same for Jammerhead/Street Phantoms and Darius Dun.

But when you bring back characters or mutants like Mondo Gecko, Wingnut, Mutagen Man, Null, etc....how much of old stuff is re-visited? Were the Archie comics featuring these characters reviewed before bringing them in? Any old eps of the cartoons rewatched to see what previous writers did with the characters?

Like do you guys always try to see what their characters were like in previous comics/cartoons, or do you just decide to randomly use them based on their designs or whatever is read online?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:34 AM   #1095
Dark Man
Random Punk

Hi, Bobby!
Sorry for the offtop, but have IDW any plans about closed TMNT Animated series from 2003?
It seems to me that this comics had the potential , before it was closed. And LeSean drew Turtles just awesome.
I understand that a question is silly , but I hope for answer.
Dark Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #1096
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
How much research is done when you guys decide to bring back an old TMNT character from a previous series? Like for example Bishop is appearing now, and we know Tom Waltz is a big fan of the 4kids series and watched all the episodes with him in them. Same for Jammerhead/Street Phantoms and Darius Dun.

But when you bring back characters or mutants like Mondo Gecko, Wingnut, Mutagen Man, Null, etc....how much of old stuff is re-visited? Were the Archie comics featuring these characters reviewed before bringing them in? Any old eps of the cartoons rewatched to see what previous writers did with the characters?

Like do you guys always try to see what their characters were like in previous comics/cartoons, or do you just decide to randomly use them based on their designs or whatever is read online?
I'm pretty familiar with the basics of all TMNT character pre-2k3, and Tom usually has a better handle on those that appeared there. But I'll do a cursory wiki-check or watch some clips online for characters i'm less familiar with. And I'll usually re-read some stuff from Mirage or Archie if I know we're using a character form there and the source material is readily available.

Overall though, as long as the basics are there, I don't worry about it too much, as these are new interpretations and can have new quirks. So, in short: we make sure we've got an understanding of the basics of the source material, but we don't do an exhaustive, every-appearance-ever overview.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #1097
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Man View Post
Hi, Bobby!
Sorry for the offtop, but have IDW any plans about closed TMNT Animated series from 2003?
It seems to me that this comics had the potential , before it was closed. And LeSean drew Turtles just awesome.
I understand that a question is silly , but I hope for answer.
Not a silly question at all, thanks for asking. But no, no plans for continuing the 2k3 story, from either the cartoon or the accompanying comic.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:40 PM   #1098
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

I noticed that TMNTU #1 jumps right into new ground for the plot, which means a new reader picking it up might be left with some questions. Luckily if said new reader then picks up a copy of TMNT #61, the latest issue of the main, s/he gets a nice "Here's what's been going on so far!" bit that makes following both series more attractive.

Well done.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:54 AM   #1099
member_removed
Hench Mutant

Will Universe be collected it's own TPB series or will be collected with the ongoing? Perhaps a mix of both?

No, you take the ugly one!

I'll take the ugly one!

Which one's the ugly one?
member_removed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #1100
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by member_removed View Post
Will Universe be collected it's own TPB series or will be collected with the ongoing? Perhaps a mix of both?
I kind of hope they fit it into the reading-order chronology of the IDW Collections, but I could see how that could become impossible if they start to jump all over the timeline in Universe.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz