The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 02-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #61
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
The ideological purity your striving for is commendable, but in the end it's just not tenable.

Total War isn't possible. A person is limited the the number of battle fronts they're capable of fighting. And if I can be blunt for a moment, it's not your place to dictate to me what hills I should be defending and for how long.

I know my limits, you don't.
It's ablelist for you to assume, so please refrain from doing so going forward.

We were having a productive conversation, free of personal insults and disparagement prior to your engagement.
No. You were having a prejudiced conversation about people, and you were somewhat assuming of them as well.

Just so you know, anyone can be oppressed and be the oppressor at the same time. No one is safe to it, myself included. Mind you, that doesn't make us terrible people. We just have to be aware of it, and try to reprimand ourselves.

I know what the shooter did was awful and simply inexcusable. I hope he gets properly reprimanded and punished severely for his terrible actions that he willingly committed.

I hope that the victims and their loved ones will be comforted from this tragedy. I hope that people will take the into consideration.

However, every single time a tragedy like this happens, I hear the same whispers of "gun control", when it's more than just that. Truth be told, this forum became an echo chamber. It's really uncomfortable.

As someone who has a brother whose autistic, a mother with depression, and who herself has issues of social anxiety and depression, it all just got to me. People were making too many ableist microaggressions that I couldn't just ignore.

So, I apologize if I hurt your, or anyone else's feelings. I wasn't being considerate. I hate myself for it. I really do.

Autbot_Benz: May I hope you find peace.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 02-15-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #62
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
No. You were having a prejudiced conversation about people, and you were somewhat assuming of them as well.

Just so you know, anyone can be oppressed and be the oppressor at the same time. No one is safe to it, myself included.

I know what the shooter did was awful and simply inexcusable. I hope he gets properly reprimanded and punished severely for his terrible actions that he willingly committed.

I hope that the victims and their loved ones will be comforted from this tragedy. I hope that people will take the into consideration.

However, every single time a tragedy like this happens, I hear the same whispers of "gun control", when it's more than just that. Truth be told, this forum became an echo chamber. It's really uncomfortable.

As someone who has a brother whose autistic, a mother with depression, and who herself has issues of social anxiety and depression, it all just got to me. People were making too many ableist microaggressions that I couldn't just ignore.

So, I apologize if I hurt your, or anyone else's feelings. I wasn't being considerate. I hate myself for it. I really do.

Autbot_Benz: May I hope you find peace.
No.
Try again.
And try harder next time.

Have a nice evening.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #63
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
No.
Try again.
And try harder next time.

Have a nice evening.
I don't understand, but if I did, I would attempt to be civil with you.

Thank you.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #64
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
It felt screwed up as it was when Columbine happened at the time I was in middle school, going into high school and suddenly my school was all but locked up tight during class hours on top of rule changes.
I just realized... you're not Dan Slott. For some reason I remember you popping up in the Dan Slott thread where Dan Slott himself appeared... and somehow I merged you two in my mind.

Almost a year, I've been thinking you're Dan Slott.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #65
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Well, it's been one whole month, eh? At this point, I'm in semi-retirement with the drome. Okay, let's see how to tackle this...

First off, Aaron Feis, the coach, alongside Geography teacher Scott Beige, did a brave thing. Their sacrifices were noble and I wish the school board the best for the future after this.

Secondly, there needs to be greater gun control in the future. I know it's idealistic on "guns are bad!" but in a scenario like this, I will never get why the hell a shooter would attack students. It's situations like this is why students in public or private schools, mine included, where the students need to act seriously. Honestly, I've dealt with classmates who act out of line; they'll feel bad for what transpires, but sometimes never learn. It needs to get added to a curriculum, or at the least, teach basic defense, especially if problems like this continue to grow.

As for Cruz, the discussions on the news all fall together: some "troubled" man goes ballistic, attempts to, or actually, kills people and proceeds to beg while in court. Nearly the same thing over and over. We all talk about gun control as a serious, rather subjective, topic point. I have to ask, for I could use some information, "How is it difficult to address, and solve gun problems?" I hope Cruz rots because even if troubled, it's merely frustration now.

To add my own two cents: just ban certain weapons like this that can be a definite threat. You can keep a weapon as protection, like a pistol or something of that caliber. However, unless licensed in some way, get rid of the rapid-fire weapons unless in the military. People like Cruz who can easily access this only endanger lives, not protecting themselves.

At this point, I'm at a portion of my life where though I follow some news, I'm not overly familiar. Consider this a reason I popped in for the first time in a while.

(And cue the thread going up in smokes too.)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #66
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

No, scratch that.

In the future, probably a thousand years from now, I hope individuals will start to develop the understanding of complex things going on within society. And not be a bunch of discriminatory bigots who utterly refuse to stop being indifferent, careless, unaware, or pretend that only their view is the "right/ moral" view, as that will comprise their fear of losing their precious echo chamber(s).

Autbot_Benz: At this point, I'm done being nice to you. If society isn't kind, then why should I be to you?

You honestly act like some forgettable troll who goes to a hate group and participates in their rallies.

It's so pathetic, really. Surrounding yourself in hatred. It's disgraceful.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #67
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
However, unless licensed in some way, get rid of the rapid-fire weapons unless in the military.
They already are. Have been for a long time now.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:32 PM   #68
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They already are. Have been for a long time now.
Thank you for clarifying, Andrew. I definitely need to do some research on topics like this going forward.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #69
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I just made myself, and probably others, feel depressed. I hate myself.

I wish I didn't exist. I make everything worse for myself and others.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #70
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

If outlawing guns is truly the answer to once and for all stop the murder of all students at schools. Well I think all guns need to be outlawed. Because even if you only have a gun that holds say six bullets you have two hands so two guns with twelve bullets total. And in a small setting such at a classroom that is potentially twelve dead. Yeah 17 won’t die like in Florida but if we still allow the other guns are we saying 12 dead is acceptable. All or nothing’s is not always healthy thinking but with guns it should be all or nothing imo.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #71
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Almost a year, I've been thinking you're Dan Slott.
I like Spider-Man just fine, but not nearly enough to spend eight years writing it twice monthly.

Nah, I'm not anyone special. This did get a laugh out of me, regardless.

Quote:
I just made myself, and probably others, feel depressed. I hate myself.

I wish I didn't exist. I make everything worse for myself and others.
Well, this hits a little close to home.

All I can say is maybe try and put a little distance from this, or at least this thread. Dwelling is not mentally healthy. If that feels like running away or trying to ignore it to make yourself feel better, it's not. We process these things how we can. What's been going on here, the back and forth, it's not going to make you feel better, or anyone feel better. Frankly, we're all just pissing in the wind here anyway, trying to make sense of yet another shooting and work through it. Because what else can we do?

Quote:
If outlawing guns is truly the answer to once and for all stop the murder of all students at schools. Well I think all guns need to be outlawed.
I don't think you even really need to go nearly that far. Maybe regulate ammunition, put protections on that and monitor them. Might make murder cases easier for police to boot. I don't know.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #72
plastroncafe

Quote:

I don't think you even really need to go nearly that far. Maybe regulate ammunition, put protections on that and monitor them. Might make murder cases easier for police to boot. I don't know.
If memory serves Chris Rock had a pretty spectacular bit about that.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:03 PM   #73
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Well, this hits a little close to home.

All I can say is maybe try and put a little distance from this, or at least this thread. Dwelling is not mentally healthy. If that feels like running away or trying to ignore it to make yourself feel better, it's not. We process these things how we can. What's been going on here, the back and forth, it's not going to make you feel better, or anyone feel better. Frankly, we're all just pissing in the wind here anyway, trying to make sense of yet another shooting and work through it. Because what else can we do?
I'm so sorry. I just ... felt so passionate, yet I acted to ignorantly.

What I was trying to say was, we should condemn the shooter, but we shouldn't use ableist/ discriminatory language to do it. It demonizes people who are actually physically, physiologically, emotionally, mentally, and/or intellectually different.

I guess I should've made it clear from my first post.

Also, I agree with the original poster. If we can't regulation the usage of fire arms, then maybe we shouldn't have them at all.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:05 PM   #74
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
If memory serves Chris Rock had a pretty spectacular bit about that.
Really now? I only know the guy from Osmosis Jones and Madagascar. I don't think I've ever listened to any of his stand-up. This bit online anywhere?

Quote:
I'm so sorry.
I can't speak for anybody else, but as far as I'm concerned, no harm, no foul.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #75
plastroncafe

Quote:
Really now? I only know the guy from Osmosis Jones and Madagascar. I don't think I've ever listened to any of his stand-up. This bit online anywhere?
Spoiler cut: Language, and content.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #76
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Spoiler cut: Language, and content.
Spoiler:
Okay, that's some funny s***.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #77
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
With premeditated acts I don’t think regulation would help. It’s super easy to make ammunition yourself. More simple than making illegal drugs. Maybe if the components for manufacturing ammunition was also regulated that could help. But again maybe not. Some cold medicine is regulated because it’s used to make meth. Meth is still a big time issue impacting a lot of people. I could see 3d printing technology advancing very quickly if guns and ammunition are outlawed. People would home brew weapons with new technology or the current methods.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #78
plastroncafe

Quote:
Okay, that's some funny s***.
I think about this every time someone brings up Gun Control.
And given our current climate, that means I think about this a lot.

I should really just cut to the chase and rewatch all his old stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Some cold medicine is regulated because it’s used to make meth. Meth is still a big time issue impacting a lot of people. I could see 3d printing technology advancing very quickly if guns and ammunition are outlawed. People would home brew weapons with new technology or the current methods.
It's my understanding that most of the meth we have in this country isn't made here anymore, and yet we still have restrictions on Sudafed, because...the legislative process is inherently slower than how the world tends to work.

I mean, we had one guy try to blow up a plane with his shoe years ago, and we're still taking our shoes off at the airport.
Or you can pay the country out of pocket to do a background check, and then you can keep your shoes on.
Which...just sounds like a shake down to me.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #79
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Maybe if the components for manufacturing ammunition was also regulated that could help.
That sort of thing would definitely be packaged in.

Quote:
I should really just cut to the chase and rewatch all his old stuff.
Clearly, I need to watch some more of his work.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #80
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Maybe better and less stigmatized mental health programs could help? I dunna...
I’m all for better. Now what that looks like is a completely different thread.