The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

View Poll Results: Super Mario Bros. 3 vs. Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros. 3 14 51.85%
Super Mario World 13 48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

You know what Mario game really sucks? Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Horrific. Unplayable. Huge disappointment. Cute, with good use of the "Mode 6" SFX (or whatever was touted as being state of the art with SNES) but that's all.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I owned World as a kid, and SMB3 on All Stars eventually, but I always played it at friends' and cousins' houses who owned the NES original, and I like 3 better. More power ups (loved frog suit and hammer bros suit). More interesting worlds (Giant World was my all-time favorite). It had some difficulty, but not some of the craziness of some of the hidden Star Road levels (I'm looking at you Tubular.)
Tubular is special world and not star world

And yes that level seems impossible at first, but once you figure it out it's actually not that hard. But it's definitely the level where I died the most often in SMW. And the special world isn't even compulsory anyway. Beating it only changes the colours of the overworld. But you gotta beat the World 8 in SMB 3 in order to beat the game...
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:13 PM   #23
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Horrific. Unplayable. Huge disappointment. Cute, with good use of the "Mode 6" SFX (or whatever was touted as being state of the art with SNES) but that's all.
Wow...and with that, Andrew makes me question everything he's said in this thread.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:

Have never played it. Not sure if I should play the SNES game or the 3DS game.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #25
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
And why do you hate SM 64? It's been over 20 years since it came out and hasn't exactly been getting remakes/ports for every console like the older 2D Mario games did.

Also, you said your favourite Mario game was SMB2... do you mean the Doki Doki Panic like game or the Japanese SMB 2?
The transition to 3D wasn't a good idea. I can sort of give the graphics a pass since they're a product of their time, but the three dimensional gameplay was too different from the games before it. The platforming wasn't tight-nit like it's predecessors (a series staple) and playing the game with that weird controller was just annoying. Levels aren't as clear cut as previous installments; instead of simply progressing through a level you have to just wander around 'till you find your objective. The whole hub world thing is kinda lame. And this game set the precedent for the cheap and lame 3D Mario games we've gotten since.

And yeah, the Yume Kōjō Doki Doki Panic SMB2 is my favorite. Would you believe Super Mario Land is my second favorite? Boy, do I have weird taste or what?
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #26
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I'll never understand people that don't like the N64 controller. I know I'm in the minority but I loved it.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
The transition to 3D wasn't a good idea.
It was unavoidable. It would have been nice to include more traditional Mario stuff in it... like Flowers to shoot fireballs, and mushrooms and some method of flying, but it wasn't bad at all.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:21 PM   #28
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
some method of flying
Old 05-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #29
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
I'll never understand people that don't like the N64 controller. I know I'm in the minority but I loved it.
I don't like it because it's uncomfortable to play with.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:25 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
The transition to 3D wasn't a good idea. I can sort of give the graphics a pass since they're a product of their time, but the three dimensional gameplay was too different from the games before it. The platforming wasn't tight-nit like it's predecessors (a series staple) and playing the game with that weird controller was just annoying. Levels aren't as clear cut as previous installments; instead of simply progressing through a level you have to just wander around 'till you find your objective. The whole hub world thing is kinda lame. And this game set the precedent for the cheap and lame 3D Mario games we've gotten since.

And yeah, the Yume Kōjō Doki Doki Panic SMB2 is my favorite. Would you believe Super Mario Land is my second favorite? Boy, do I have weird taste or what?
Wandering around until you find your objective? You had about 7 stars or so per level. And you picked which one to look for and the name of the mission pretty much told you what to do/where to look for. I don't recall feeling lost in the game very often.

I've played some of SM 64 a few years ago and it still holds up for a 1996 3D game. Ofc it didn't age as well as other Nintendo games did but one can still see why it was a big deal back when it came out.

Quote:
I liked it back in the day. Today it probably looks a bit too big and bulky but that was inevitable. Controllers had to evolve with time.

Quote:
It was unavoidable. It would have been nice to include more traditional Mario stuff in it... like Flowers to shoot fireballs, and mushrooms and some method of flying, but it wasn't bad at all.
Honestly, I didn't even notice the lack of fireballs and invincibility in that game. I really loved the winged cap and metal Mario fine. I missed Yoshi but I don't think he'd have fit in the game, and you meet him briefly anyways.

Mushrooms? And then the game would have 2 hit deaths instead of a health bar? It'd be worse imo.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Oh. lol... *scratches head* I must have forgotten that.

Quote:
Mushrooms? And then the game would have 2 hit deaths instead of a health bar? It'd be worse imo.
Well, not necessarily. Could be like, when the health bar goes below 90%, you're not Super Mario anymore. Or something.

That's the whole thing the series forgot about. The first game was just "Mario Bros." because they're just normal guys. "Super Mario Bros." received the "Super" because you can become Super Mario (or Luigi) by eating a mushroom. In no other Super Mario game beyond the first 3 I'm aware of can you do that.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #32
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Oh. lol... *scratches head* I must have forgotten that.
You get it pretty early on in the game so I don't blame you
Old 05-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #33
Prowler
Emperor

I'm curious about how you feel about Mario Sunshine, Andrew.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:31 PM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I'm curious about how you feel about Mario Sunshine, Andrew.
I played the crap out of it on... what was it, Gamecube? Didn't beat it, and it was a little frustrating trying to find all the little splotches you're supposed to clean up or whatever, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it. I liked how the joystick vibrates (ba-dum-bum) when you're hovering around and such, felt rather immersive.

Weird that there hasn't been a "real" Super Mario installment since Galaxy. That was a ways back, wasn't it?
Old 05-26-2017, 04:31 PM   #35
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Experimenting with the cape feather was fun and Yoshi was the real star, but I still prefer SMB3 because of the abundant variety of powerups and the ease of flying with the Raccoon tail.

Quote:

I can't say too much bad about the gameplay other than the fact that it does not benefit from being called "Super Mario World 2." It was clearly it's own thing in the 1990s and it's spawned almost as many sequels as the Super Mario Bros. main series. Oh, also the incessant crying of baby Mario... yeah, it's already clear you have to grab him after taking damage... the countdown clock would have been enough of a hint. Oh... and the Yoshi formula is obsessed with 100% level completion runs, thus, it takes me forever to beat a single stage.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 05-26-2017 at 04:38 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Oh, also the incessant crying of baby Mario... yeah, it's already clear you have to grab him after taking damage... the countdown clock would have been enough of a hint.
It felt like a SNES video game version of those home economics classes... you guys ever have those in middle school? Where everyone has to take care of the sugar baby, or whatever?
Old 05-26-2017, 04:51 PM   #37
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I played the crap out of it on... what was it, Gamecube? Didn't beat it, and it was a little frustrating trying to find all the little splotches you're supposed to clean up or whatever, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it. I liked how the joystick vibrates (ba-dum-bum) when you're hovering around and such, felt rather immersive.

Weird that there hasn't been a "real" Super Mario installment since Galaxy. That was a ways back, wasn't it?
Yeah it was fun but not as great as SMB 3, World or 64 where when they came out. I never got around to beat it. That game was tough, especially those secret stages with hovering platforms or wtv.

Well Odyssey is coming out for the Switch.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #38
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Those are all personal problems, not actual problems with the game.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #39
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I think SMB3 is more interesting and has more variety, but World is just more fun. Also, Yoshi was a blast. World is easier, too, except for "Tubular"... damn whatever spawn of Satan invented that level.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #40
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
It felt like a SNES video game version of those home economics classes... you guys ever have those in middle school? Where everyone has to take care of the sugar baby, or whatever?
Thankfully, I never had to do that. Dodged a bullet, I'm sure!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote