The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you glad Viacom/Nick bought TMNT?
I'm glad they did 40 52.63%
I'm glad NOW they did, but I wasn't beforehand 8 10.53%
No, not glad 12 15.79%
I was glad at first, now I'm not glad 13 17.11%
It is INFURIATING! 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

2018: Are you glad that Nickelodeon bought the TMNT 9 years ago?

It's been 9 years since Laird accepted Viacom/Nickelodeon's offer to buy all of the rights to TMNT for 60 million dollars and... that was that, as they say.

What say you, now?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Honestly?

I don't believe Laird was ever going to do anymore TMNT regardless. And Tales Volume 2 was too busy exploring weird one-off stories of little to no consequence.

So I wasn't going to get anymore Mirage TMNT regardless of whether or not Nick bought it.

So... trading two crummy kids cartoons (and counting) and two insultingly bad movies for some cool toys for my kids and one great (though Nick-regulated) comic series?

Yeah. I guess I am glad.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
newfan
Mad Scientist

Should this thread wait until tomorrow? Or when the show starts...

I can see that for a lot of you the answer will be no but I am going to be an irritating newbie on the other hand and say yes because of 2012. I didn't like how they treated it with airing near the end and I don't know how much I care whether I like the new show or not..

Noticing the post above, also yes, brought so much joy to one my children.

Last edited by newfan; 01-31-2018 at 02:21 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I would even venture that the 2012 cartoon is the most entertaining TMNT cartoon ever made... but there's no way the pros outweigh the long-term cons on this. It's not even close.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Vegita-San
Emperor

at this point, no.

I feel they dropped the ball.

IDW is the only good thing gotten out of the sale so far.

Nick 2K12 was VERY hit and miss in quality and enjoy ability, even if all the elements where there for an awesome series.

and i get the strong feeling this new series won't be for me either.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I would even venture that the 2012 cartoon is the most entertaining TMNT cartoon ever made... but there's no way the pros outweigh the long-term cons on this. It's not even close.
But what's the pro? More Mirage? Because that wasn't happening.

Is the pro not diluting/diminishing the brand? Well, that already happened, too.

I don't see what the pro of not selling was by this point. TMNT was already stuck with the mainstream kiddie "Scarlet A" hung around its neck. And Mirage was already dead.

So... did we miss out on a competent TMNT movie? Yeah. But is that Nick's fault or Bay/PD's fault?
Old 01-31-2018, 02:46 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Pros?

#1)A human heart -- one of the actual creators -- at the center of things, with full veto power over any and all sh**ty stuff. Quality control, let's call it, and the absence of being part of a megacorp.

#2) If not any immediate or burning creation of such, at least the possibility of quality, non-cartoon pandering TMNT movies.

#3) A likelihood that Laird would have continued chugging along on Volume 4 (I think even just him knowing there is the kind of TMNT stuff out there that there is gets to him) to its end, and probably kept Tales of the TMNT afloat, too. A possibility of a "OK, now it's your turn" of letting others loose on a Volume 5 later on.

Movies? There was always and would always be movie deals being brought to Peter and Gary Richardson's attention. And we more than likely would have gotten to see that Fusco "Batman Begins-like" script brought to life with full on grit. Instead we got TMNT 2014 and OotS, put on by focus groups and bean counters being bossed around by Michael Bay.

And a lot of people act like the 4Kids show would have been his one and only attempt at a new cartoon. Of course there'd be other deals for new cartoons on the table. Only difference? Laird would be around to smack them around and make them not have it be crap, or be a regurgitation of Fred Wolf that's a regurgitation of Fred Wolf that's a regurgitation of Fred Wolf. He would shut that sh** right down.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #8
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Yes.
While the sale blindsided me in a way I really wasn't expecting, I'm glad it happened.

First off Peter was miserable, now he's hopefully less miserable.
Secondly, handing control of the characters to someone else creates and opens a door for different interpretations. I'm still really interested in those interpretations, and yes...even the ones I don't think work so well.

Change is the only constant.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Pros?

#1)A human heart -- one of the actual creators -- at the center of things, with full veto power over any and all sh**ty stuff. Quality control, let's call it, and the absence of being part of a megacorp.

#2) If not any immediate or burning creation of such, at least the possibility of quality, non-cartoon pandering TMNT movies.

#3) A likelihood that Laird would have continued chugging along on Volume 4 (I think even just him knowing there is the kind of TMNT stuff out there that there is gets to him) to its end, and probably kept Tales of the TMNT afloat, too. A possibility of a "OK, now it's your turn" of letting others loose on a Volume 5 later on.

Movies? There was always and would always be movie deals being brought to Peter and Gary Richardson's attention. And we more than likely would have gotten to see that Fusco "Batman Begins-like" script brought to life with full on grit. Instead we got TMNT 2014 and OotS, put on by focus groups and bean counters being bossed around by Michael Bay.

And a lot of people act like the 4Kids show would have been his one and only attempt at a new cartoon. Of course there'd be other deals for new cartoons on the table. Only difference? Laird would be around to smack them around and make them not have it be crap, or be a regurgitation of Fred Wolf that's a regurgitation of Fred Wolf that's a regurgitation of Fred Wolf. He would shut that sh** right down.
Peter Laird doesn't have a say on the franchise anymore dude. So no volume 5
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:47 PM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Laird got tired of TMNTbut he still loves the franchise. Hoped for the best and sold, not even for a lot. It does feel like exactly what happened with Lucas and star wars and how we got only the popular stuff made by the new company as soon as they lost the heart that held it together. I miss Lairs, but a sale i guess was inevitable, he seemed irritated in his last few Laird blogs before he sold it.

Quote:
Pros?

sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #11
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

The only thing I did NOT like about Nickelodeon buying TMNT is that they let Micheal Bay get too close for comfort to it.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:23 PM   #12
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Zombie Thread!
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:28 PM   #13
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Am I glad that Nick owns the TMNT?...

Well, thanks to that sale, every single one of my fears and nightmares about the franchise came true, which led me to mostly (99.5%) give up on it

So no.

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:17 PM   #14
Mugic
Thug

Alopex was the only good thing to come out of the buyout in my opinion
Old 09-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy View Post

Well, thanks to that sale, every single one of my fears and nightmares about the franchise came true, which led me to mostly (99.5%) give up on it

So no.
That's fair.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:18 AM   #16
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy View Post

So no.
Your fear and nightmares was sometinh like Rise of the teenage mutant ninja tutrtles?
Old 09-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #17
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder orokusaki View Post
Your fear and nightmares was sometinh like Rise of the teenage mutant ninja tutrtles?
Among other things...

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:24 AM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Dan Berger, just after the sale in 2009 (widely posted about, not a secret): "So the Nick guys came into the offices for a few days and they only seem super interested in the Fred Wolf cartoon."

Fast forward to 2021 and here we are still. Yep.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:45 PM   #19
D-ray
Foot Soldier

I don't really mind it. The 2013 serie wasn't my favourite, but its somewhat nice to see that they try to make the franchise feel new.

I would like to see the rights of TMNT in the ends of someone less "kids oriented" but I guess that's fine.

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:12 PM   #20
Torterra
Foot Soldier

I'm glad honestly after the 2003 series, the Turtles Forever movie and the 2007 movie I completely forgot about turtles till the 2012 series was announced. While there was some stuff in that series I wasn't a big fan of I'm glad it did lit the turtle's fire and brought them back into the media after a few years.
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plastron goes quiet