The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #10021
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

The Attitude era had just as many titles, but the difference was that the writers actually used the things. The Hardcore title was never going to be prestigious as the WWF Title, but it still had a purpose on the show. It wasn't put on a wrestler and then forgotten for six months.

Come to think of it, the Hardcore title had the exact opposite problem. They really should have stopped the 24/7 rule after Wrestlemania 16.

The only title I would want to see unified if one had to go would be the world title. It lacks the long lineage of the IC and US Titles. I still think the WWE could make the current title situation work, and I don't mind the "world" title being the secondary belt, because the championship's names really don't mean anything other than telling them apart. What is the "Intercontinental" supposed to really mean anyway?
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #10022
Leo656
The Franchise

Shell: I always have fun.

Just got word from the owner that CWA indeed got the 6-month deal with the venue, and personally thanked me for helping make that happen. He was really pleased with our crowd reaction, and that's great news. I hit the nail on the head, apparently; the NWA WorldWide look and feel was what they wanted to do, and I think that's awesome. The guys involved with the promotion have a lot of experience both in the ring and in the office, so here's hoping it's the start of a nice, steady thing that works out well for everyone. There's definitely a market out there for that old-school style of wrestling, if presented well.

Plus everyone there was just really cool and laid back. God knows that's always nice.
Check 'em out:
http://classicwrestlingassociation.com/

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #10023
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

That's awesome to hear, Leo. I'm glad that they're giving you guys another chance to shine again. The fact that he thanked you personally is just so cool. I bet that made you feel pretty good, didn't it?

Wow. I've been slacking a bit on my reviews of Total Divas, but I'll catch up now.

"The Fat Twin" episode was very telling. I felt sorry for Nikki that she had to be treated that way and it really gives an insight on how image is important and how people can really be hateful towards others. At least Brie apologized to her and all was forgiven. I also thought the subplot with Nattie and TJ was interesting. I can understand why Nattie would want a real wedding, but maybe TJ just wanted to get it over with, and they could always still have a real wedding. I know a lot of couples who have done that. Still, TJ seems very inconsiderate at times.

"Feuding Funkadactyls" was another good one. My favorite part had to be Nikki's reunion with her father. It's very interesting to know that their father left them when they were fifteen and how that hurt them. Luckily, Nikki was able to open up to her dad, and I hope that in time things will be good with them. Ariane and Trinity's fight was just stupid. I think Trinity handled that the wrong way, and she was lucky Stephanie didn't fire her for pushing Ariane. I also think TJ's mom is a bit possessive and really needs to let her son go. He's a Mama's Boy, and he really needs to get over that. I know you love your mom, TJ, but you also have another love in your life, and that's where you need to focus your attention. Your mom needs to let you go.

"Divas Las Vegas" was a crazy episode. Brie Mode was hilarious, though I thought Ariane's boyfriend went a little too far. Also, Jojo made a big mistake going after Justin Gabriel. She should have known that he was too old for her. She should have taken a step back and not rushed into it like she did. I hope that she'll learn her lesson now. Nattie really needs to let Jaret go and let him know where she stands. He may have feelings for her, but she's with TJ now, and he needs to respect that.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.

Last edited by BubblyShell22; 09-02-2013 at 07:13 AM.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #10024
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Mutant_Man View Post
The Attitude era had just as many titles, but the difference was that the writers actually used the things. The Hardcore title was never going to be prestigious as the WWF Title, but it still had a purpose on the show. It wasn't put on a wrestler and then forgotten for six months.
Except when it happened regularly with the European and Light Heavyweight titles.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #10025
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

^^ This. Didn't Gillberg hold the Light heavyweight title for years without defending it until Esa Rios came along? Even then that wasn't a big deal cuz Lita straight up stole his thunder by Moonsaulting Gill afterwards.
European title was a little bit better but not by much. That was still booked terribly.
I think they should go back to the 2 show format, the 2004-2008 time period handled the title belts fairly well up until Hornswoggle became Cruiser champ. Or go back to the Undisputed belt. Too many titles no one cares about.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #10026
Leo656
The Franchise

Gillberg did "defend" the Light Heavyweight belt on lots of indy shows... but that just goes to show you how little WWE cared about it at that point. They never really did care; they established it way back in the early '80s or so, maybe the late '70s, it escapes me now, but it was when the NWA briefly made a semi-big deal about "light heavyweight" and "junior heavyweight" Champions so the WWF had to follow suit. But the belt was ignored immediately, it was almost never defended on actual WWF shows and spent over a decade floating around Japan and Mexico, eventually becoming part of the J-Cup. By some accounts, they just never bothered to keep track of the belt after an overseas defense in the '80s, until cruiserweights became a big deal in 1996. Shortly after Ultimo Dragon won the J-Cup while in WCW (Making him the only wrestler to *legitimately* hold the WWF Light Heavyweight and WCW Cruiserweight Titles simultaneously), the WWF decided they'd had enough of that. After Dragon lost the J-Cup, the WWF Light Heavyweight Title eventually went back to them and the J-Cup was slowly disintegrated.

The European Title was more or less created as a trophy for the British Bulldog, and once the Hart family was being phased out and DX and "Attitude" were ushered in, the belt immediately became pointless. I would argue that it was the single most useless Title they ever had, as it was even portrayed on TV to be a worthless trophy, the way it was passed from Shawn to Hunter in a bogus comedy match, or how Shane "retired" with it until Mideon found it in his bag or something months later, or how Jarrett simply gave it to D-Lo because he couldn't be bothered with it. It was literally *just* made to make Bulldog look like a bigger deal when they'd do shows in he UK and elsewhere, because they never had any intentions of giving him a "real" singles belt again; when they soured on the entire Hart family, the very purpose of the Title was lost. It was pretty much a waste of time on all counts.

As for me, yeah, it's always nice to be acknowledged, but I know for a fact I'm just a piece of a bigger puzzle, everyone came to bust their ass and they did. As for me and Kidd standing out, we just work different and that's always going to make you stand out by itself. I just hope things go well for everyone involved.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #10027
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

That's true, but it's nice to know that you're part of it. I wasn't trying to diminish what everyone else did as I know they all contributed, but if it were me, I would feel really good being acknowledged like that.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #10028
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuriken View Post
^^ This. Didn't Gillberg hold the Light heavyweight title for years without defending it until Esa Rios came along? Even then that wasn't a big deal cuz Lita straight up stole his thunder by Moonsaulting Gill afterwards.
European title was a little bit better but not by much. That was still booked terribly.
I think they should go back to the 2 show format, the 2004-2008 time period handled the title belts fairly well up until Hornswoggle became Cruiser champ. Or go back to the Undisputed belt. Too many titles no one cares about.
Actually the titles weren't treated very well during that time either.

Gregory Helms had a one year cruiserweight title reign because the writers probably forgot he had the title.

The Intercontinental Title wasn't defended at Wrestlemania for what, like six Wrestlemanias straight?

The tag titles got a decent amount of attention, at least the Smackdown one did for a time.

The European Title had a few bright spots. When it got traded back and forth between X-Pac and D-lo, during the X-Pac and Shane feud, and when Al Snow did his European gimmick. It was also Kurt Angle's first WWF title.

Maybe WCW is the better example of a third tier belt being treated well? Until Vince Russo came along, the TV Title seemed to maintain a decent level of prestige.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #10029
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
That's true, but it's nice to know that you're part of it. I wasn't trying to diminish what everyone else did as I know they all contributed, but if it were me, I would feel really good being acknowledged like that.
Oh absolutely, they made it Match of the Night on their website and their FB so that's pretty cool. But one guy or one match don't make no show, I just don't wanna ever come off as having an ego like a lot of guys do. Sometimes I'm perceived that way and I don't realize I'm doing it, but it's usually just because someone doesn't "get" my humor. It's a weird business, guys screw with your head a lot. When you get good, they make sure to let you know you're not *too* good; at the same time, if you go too far the other way and act self-deprecating and humble, they'll give you the ol' "If you're not that good then why are you even here?" stuff. There's a lot of passive-aggression and BS and politics that I just can't stand and try and stay away from, but some people are so petty. One of my 8x10s I sell has me hitting a Superkick on a guy who will remain nameless (nobody famous but somewhat big locally); it wasn't something I did maliciously, but he gets ridiculously bent about it. God knows a ton of guys make money off of their pics of ME staring at the lights, but this guy cops a 'tude whenever we're on the same show and I try and sell gimmicks. He makes a lot more money and is in a good place career-wise, so to me, I can't imagine why he gives a sh*t. But some guys are like that; they say they're happy for you but most of the time, they just think "If this guy leaves, I'll get more of everything." I've been keeping to myself a lot more, since a lot of guys I trusted at one point or another turned out to be shady.

So all that said, this new gig is a nice change of pace, fewer shows per month BUT a nice atmosphere and a nice relaxed locker room. The first thing the owner stressed in the locker room is, "Guys with egos don't belong here. If we don't call you, you're not booked, and don't bother asking why not." And after the show the bosses told everyone what a great job they did and thanked them. Which is normal, but I don't know, everyone just seemed really happy to be there, which also isn't *entirely* unusual, it was just cool because this was a place I don't know that many people yet.

They have another big show the 28th and an iPPV "Halloween Horror" Oct. 27th, so I'm pretty excited about it.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #10030
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Cody, nooooooooooooooooooooo.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #10031
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Yeah no kiddin

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #10032
Leo656
The Franchise

Missed it.

I forgot to say earlier, though, that I loved the WCW TV Title (although the concept has long since outlived its relevance; everything is on TV now so a TV Title isn't special). And most of that stuff with the European Title Mutant_Man mentioned could have just as well been done - and meant more - if it had been with the Intercontinental Title instead, I think.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #10033
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I saw that coming a mile away. And don't be sad, guys. I'm sure he'll be back. They're just giving him time off for his wedding and honeymoon. But, yeah, the match was awesome even if it was predictable. I also loved the main event and how heartfelt it was that Big Show didn't want to fight Daniel like that. When Steph was out there, I knew she wasn't going to be nice about it, and that segment went great as well as the match itself. I just wonder how long this power trip storyline will go on. Will it go on until Cena gets back, or will they somehow stop it before then? As much as I like it as a storyline, I don't want it to drag out too long to the point where it gets boring.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #10034
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

i don't see Daniel winnin at NOC, but i sure as hell can hope for a miracle. as for it going til Cena gets back, who knows. I hope it gets over fast. three weeks into and i'm kinda getting sick and bored of it.

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 09-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #10035
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Not me. I really like this stuff so far, but I'm sure I'll get bored the longer it goes on. Still, it's filled with such drama and high stakes, how can you not like it? I don't see Daniel winning at NOC either, but you never know.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #10036
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Good lord. Watch the Mega Powers angle, Canadian. Learn that wrestling isn't hot shot after hot shot.

Slow builds? What's that?

@~<3 Mom~@
Old 09-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #10037
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

hey don't shoot me cause i've got an opinion. that's just how i feel about it. don't agree with me or like it, that's fine, but i'm allowed an opinion

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 09-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #10038
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
hey don't shoot me cause i've got an opinion. that's just how i feel about it. don't agree with me or like it, that's fine, but i'm allowed an opinion
Wonderful.

So you don't like to see things play out even though it's obviously going somewhere. Storyline has barely started. Give me a break.

@~<3 Mom~@
Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #10039
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

I still think the Mega Powers was one of the greatest story-tellings in the WWE. Just well built with a nice payoff. It started at a WrestleMania, and ended at a WrestleMania.

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #10040
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
Good lord. Watch the Mega Powers angle, Canadian. Learn that wrestling isn't hot shot after hot shot.

Slow builds? What's that?
The Mega Powers angle was also during a time when WWE had less television programming and didn't have monthly PPVs.

I agree that this angle deserves a slow build, though. Daniel Bryan is on fire. I haven't seen crowd reactions like that in a long time unless it was John Cena. Let him chase the title for a while, and it will be all the more satisfying when he wins it.

I kind of think the chase should end at the Rumble, though. Maybe Lesnar could be Bryan's opponent for the title. Lesnar could be a secret entrant to the Rumble and dominate the rest of the match, leading to Lesnar/Bryan. With monthly PPVs these days, I don't think Bryan/Orton can be stretched until Mania unless Daniel Bryan has to spend months trying to earn another title shot.

Tags
armbar#, silverdome brother, wrestling