The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-04-2020, 12:53 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Ridley Scott wants to do another Alien movie

No, I say. Take the keys away from this guy. Or make him hire a good writer, this time.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/scott-w...ien-franchise/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Sumac
Foot Elite

Poor Xenomorph cries in the corner and doesn't want to be violated anymore...
Old 06-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
IMJ
Mad Scientist

I thought Prometheus was great. Alien Covenant was alright. I'd like a third rock solid Prometheus movie to round out a trilogy. Show us more of the Engineers.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Has Scott's phone stopped ringing for other movie projects?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Poor Xenomorph cries in the corner and doesn't want to be violated anymore...
... And wouldn't that be ironic?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I thought Prometheus was great. Alien Covenant was alright. I'd like a third rock solid Prometheus movie to round out a trilogy. Show us more of the Engineers.
I liked them both just fine, but outside of that I've only seen the first "Alien" movie in its entirety. I know, shut up. I got a lotta stuff going on. I'll get to it.

It seems to be mostly "hardcore" Aliens fans who hated them, while neophytes such as myself think they're alright. I respect their experience even if it's not mine. I hate unfinished stories, though, so I'd be down for another movie to wrap those two up.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:41 AM   #7
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I liked Prometheus but hated the one after that since I wanted an actual sequel to Prometheus with Shaw and the Engineers. As for another Alien movie, I say "HELL NO".
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:24 AM   #8
neatoman
Emperor

Personally I feel that the original movie is extremely good, it didn't need any sequels at all.
Hahahaha!
Old 06-05-2020, 07:56 AM   #9
AquaParade
Big Boss

His career seems to take many twists and turns. He should, in a startling yet amusing turn of events, direct an MCU X-Men film, featuring ?The Brood?, which are clear alien homages.

It?s a terrible idea, but I like the weirdness of it.
AquaParade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Prometheus" was pretty, but jaw-droppingly stupid on the script level. "Covenant" was insultingly bad, like a "greatest hits" of the franchise cobbled together, with an Alien origin that doesn't even work.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:58 PM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"Prometheus" was pretty, but jaw-droppingly stupid on the script level. "Covenant" was insultingly bad, like a "greatest hits" of the franchise cobbled together, with an Alien origin that doesn't even work.
That's kind of what I'm talking about though, the original Alien didn't really need a sequel. The first movie is all about how people are being hunted down by a monster they can't really run from or fight against, that's more than enough suspense and how do you make a sequel to that without undermining it? Aliens was good but really it's the only that follow the one reasonable contuation (and the only one that could), explore what happens when these things have plenty of prey and what happens when you can fight back against the individual creatures but you're outnumbered. Although, it still didn't need to exist, the scenario of the company trying again and f*cking it up even harder is a safe assumption, given that the first movie implied they tried and failed to capture these things before the Nostromo.

And the rest of the series relies on retcons, but can you really blame them? Yeah it makes for terrible movies but most the people in charge of making them are probably just hired to make them regardless of wheter or not they have any real ideas. Alien doesn't really have franchise potential, it was good for two movies (at most) and that's it.

Let's say we ignore all the sequels, Aliens included, and make our sequel to Alien. What do we get if we follow up on what's established in the first one without retconning anything? Probably a very loose remake of Aliens with different characters and twists but still following the "massive outbreak on the planetoid from the first movie" idea.
Hahahaha!
Old 06-05-2020, 09:10 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

On paper, both Prometheus and Covenant had a lot of potential. Both could have been great, especially Prometheus.

Mostly, I feel betrayed by "Covenant." After Prometheus I was like, "Hmm... well that was pretty dodgy, but it could be redeemed by a proper follow-up," and Ridley was telling everyone his promise to explore the Engineers' homeworld and get more into the Engineers.

Then comes Covenant and it's mostly about nothing, just more dumb crew infecting themselves and a greatest hits of action moments from Alien-Alien 4. And no Engineers or Engineer homeworld!
Old 06-06-2020, 10:38 AM   #13
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I'm all for another Alien movie. I just wish they made it more about the Engineers. I find the whole idea of them interesting. How they were the ones that seeded the Earth and brought life.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:32 AM   #14
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
I liked Prometheus but hated the one after that since I wanted an actual sequel to Prometheus with Shaw and the Engineers. As for another Alien movie, I say "HELL NO".
This is similar to how I felt too. Covenant had some decent moments, but I was hoping for more of an offshoot from the Alien universe with the Engineers as well. I thought Prometheus was terrific.

Visually every shot in Prometheus looked photo real, even under 4k, and the story was very compelling - especially in how boldly it challenged religiosity but yet through Shaw's lens didn't **** on it completely.