The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-04-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
Vicky82
Emperor

Disney Reportedly Developing Live-Action Remake of The Black Cauldron

Another Live action Disney movie coming, I never expected this to become a live action movie.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/di...action-remake/

Quote:
Walt Disney Pictures is reportedly developing a live-action remake of its 1985 animated film The Black Cauldron. Disney re-acquired the rights to The Chronicles of Prydain, the five-part novel series penned by Lloyd Alexander that inspired the animated feature, in 2016. Published between 1964 and 1968, the fantasy series ? The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, The Castle of Llyr, Taran Wanderer, and The High King ? was first optioned by the studio in 1971. The animated feature, largely inspired by the first two novels but having little resemblance to Alexander's works, will receive a re-do, according to scooper Daniel RPK.

It's not yet known whether Black Cauldron is being eyed for a theatrical release or a bow on Disney+, where the studio premiered its live-action Lady and the Tramp. Disney is also developing a live-action Lilo & Stitch for the streaming service.

Disney's animated Black Cauldron followed the magical adventure of assistant pig keeper Taran and his allies ? Princess Eilonwy of Llyr, minstrel Fflewddur, wood creature Gurgi, and Hen Wen, a pig with the ability to predict the future ? who banded together to keep a maniacal monarch, the evil Horned King, from possessing the Black Cauldron and using its demonic powers to raise an army of the dead and conquer the world.

Once the most costly animated film in history, The Black Cauldron was a commercial failure criticized by then-Disney studio chairman Jeffrey Katzenberg, who said the too-dark animated film lacked the "humor, pathos, and the fantasy" strongly present in Alexander's works. Calling its story a "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," Katzenberg admitted it was "heartbreaking" seeing "such wonderful material wasted."

After scoring billion-plus box office hauls with live-action re-imaginings of Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King, Disney will next translate beloved 1989 animated film The Little Mermaid ? credited as the start of the renaissance era that redefined Disney animation after its prolific animated feature division was jeopardized by the failure of The Black Cauldron ? into a live-action musical.
I've never seen the original Black Cauldron, i've been meaning to watch it on Disney Plus, but haven't had the chance.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

I've known about this since at least last year. I know one of the criticisms of the original movie is that it isn't really faithful to the book, so we'll see if it gets closer this time.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #3
frank_one
Stone Warrior

The Black Cauldron? Come on, Disney, you can do better. Why not the Black, LGBT Cauldron?
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:42 AM   #4
drgon78
Mad Scientist

How about just release the original on Blu Ray already, come on Disney.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a remake
TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #6
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

The movie flop for a reason. It was not a good movie.
turtle1237 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:26 PM   #7
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
I've never seen the original Black Cauldron, i've been meaning to watch it on Disney Plus, but haven't had the chance.
Give the old movie a watch sometime - John Hurt does a great job with one of the characters in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I know one of the criticisms of the original movie is that it isn't really faithful to the book, so we'll see if it gets closer this time.
Most (if not all) Disney animated movies tend to be family-friendly, but the original stories that the movies themselves were based upon, were not always kind. Therefore, a somber Disney movie does not make a lot of money within The House of The Mouse.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:04 AM   #8
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
The movie flop for a reason. It was not a good movie.
As one who saw it waaay back when it was in the theater, yes, it was good, just not what most folks were used to/expected from Disney. It was a darker sort of tale, and much more pure fantasy than the standard Disney fare. It flopped not because it wasn't good, but because WoM had it that it made people uncomfortable and they were reluctant to take their kids to see it. No kids= no $$!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:23 PM   #9
Galactus
Mad Scientist

I like the movie. There was stories of young kids running out of the movie scared as it was (while tame by today's standards) very different to what people expected of Disney plus as I recall Disney was on something of a commercial downturn at the time. I've never read the books but while apparently very different the original author said he liked the movie.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote