The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 04-25-2017, 04:58 PM   #2301
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Seems one of instructors has grandfathered me into an internship in my building, with Print & Production.

Tomorrow I'm going in for a "demo" and then I'll do the paperwork for it, because I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it. It's a mystery if I'll get paid, but I imagine not.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #2302
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Happy early Birthday, fellow Bull.
Hey thanks, haha, my dad and sister are Bulls too so you know there's two birthdays lined up after mine.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #2303
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It was the last day of the semester today, and I passed my classes.

Also, I got to see an adult gecko, which is highly unusual. I only ever see tiny babies that get inside buildings and need to be rescued. And are very, very hard to catch.
Spoiler:

It was quite a highlight following a disappointing dinner.

Pretty sure we came home to the Bubba staring at the other cats through the window too.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:42 PM   #2304
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
It was the last day of the semester today, and I passed my classes.

Also, I got to see an adult gecko, which is highly unusual. I only ever see tiny babies that get inside buildings and need to be rescued. And are very, very hard to catch.

It was quite a highlight following a disappointing dinner.

Pretty sure we came home to the Bubba staring at the other cats through the window too.
Those things just run wild in Texas or an escaped pet? Cool on the classes btw.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #2305
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
They are wild. We get them around patio lights at night from time to time. And even the adults are very small. Mediterranian Geckos. And yeah they get into buildings all the time too. I find them at work once in a while. The HARD part isn't CATCHING them, it's doing it without them snapping off their tails!! Lol!!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:01 PM   #2306
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I've gotten to the point where I can get them without their tails snapping, but that's where catching them is hard. You basically have to trick them into your hands.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:10 PM   #2307
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Interesting. We have Salamanders around here but they like to stay hidden, not sure if they lose their tails. I don't try to pick them up.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:47 PM   #2308
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Salamanders can't break their tails off; they're amphibians.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:03 AM   #2309
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Salamanders can't break their tails off; they're amphibians.
Hmm, thought I seen a tail drop off before. Oh well I been wrong before.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:29 PM   #2310
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I assume geckos really don't have that much of a bite, right?

I had a 6th grade science teacher who I'm pretty certain told us the classroom gecko (one of quite a few animals in her class) could take a finger off. I had doubted this to be true for a long time, but was always a bit wary of them. Even if not, I'm not sure I'd still willingly hold one, though most other small lizards wouldn't bother me. lol

If the gecko in that class was actually harmless, then why a teacher would even tell us that... But maybe she just didn't want it messed with (students were allowed to handle most other animals, including a recuperating wild black rat snake after a while) or maybe she had a particularly angry one.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #2311
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Oh, THAT'S what those are. I see those little guys around, I even caught one at work once without snapping the tail off. [Another one I tried to catch wasn't so lucky ]
Old 04-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #2312
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

My god, I have some work hours next week...

And here I was seriously considering putting in my resignation soon. If still torn between that and waiting until I find something else.

Though I'm betting it's extra hours given to the store for doing clearance, the timing seems right.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #2313
mrmaczaps
Banned

Probably sounds lame, but my medical issue keeps me kind of slow and sluggish but I managed to get up today and get in my meager amount of steps (on my fitbit) without waiting until this time of night. Its kind of painful and i get seriously out of breath just for walking for about 20 minutes, but I kinda feel better later... once i'm rested. Lol
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:12 PM   #2314
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
I've gotten to the point where I can get them without their tails snapping, but that's where catching them is hard. You basically have to trick them into your hands.

Actually a better method I've found is to place a cup a few inches or so in front of them (preferrably along a wall) and "herd" the gecko into it, then cover the top with a lid or something flat and solid enough to prevent escape until taken outside. Safe, easy and effective capture without them being stressed enough to drop their tail, and it allows for easy transport outdoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I assume geckos really don't have that much of a bite, right?

I had a 6th grade science teacher who I'm pretty certain told us the classroom gecko (one of quite a few animals in her class) could take a finger off. I had doubted this to be true for a long time, but was always a bit wary of them. Even if not, I'm not sure I'd still willingly hold one, though most other small lizards wouldn't bother me. lol

If the gecko in that class was actually harmless, then why a teacher would even tell us that... But maybe she just didn't want it messed with (students were allowed to handle most other animals, including a recuperating wild black rat snake after a while) or maybe she had a particularly angry one.

Depends on the species. Leopard and Mediterranian geckos are small and don't have big or strong enough jaws to bite very hard. They can't do much damage. But some larger species can. I guess it would depend on what your teacher had and if it was big enough to actually bite hard or take enough of a chunk to do any serious harm.

Then again she might have just not wanted to cause the lizard undue stress. They usually only snap off their tail if they feel threatened while being handled. And it can take a LONG time to grow back! (Not to mention it can get infected or injured in the meantime. Especially while the break-point is healing over.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Oh, THAT'S what those are. I see those little guys around, I even caught one at work once without snapping the tail off. [Another one I tried to catch wasn't so lucky ]
Don't worry it grows back! Takes a while though and it CAN get infected at the break-off point. I had an anole who snapped hers off when my cousin tried to catch her after she got loose from her tank. Scared the heck out of HIM (I'd forgotten to warn about that detail- never thought she'd get out) and took her over a year to grow it back completely! (And it ended up with a kink in it.)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:58 PM   #2315
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Most of the time, I'm in positions where I have no choice but to catch them with my bare hands, and then cup them really good so it won't escape. Then bring them out to a bush or something. Did that at school once. With the only brown one I've ever seen.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:45 PM   #2316
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

While losing my grandma certainly doesn't make me happy, I am happy that we were able to provide her a good funeral. The entire family, distant family, and friends all came to support us and show their love. It was really nice. I even had the honor of reading the obituary.

May she Rest In Peace.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #2317
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Glad it sounds like it turned out nice

Happy maker... Finally found the wood I need for a little project, without having to go to some hardware store and buying straight up lumber. The regular craft stores I'd looked at a while ago almost had it, but the largest are all too short. Found a cool woodcraft place that I didn't know about before and even got my pieces cut for free. Place smells pretty nice, and they even teach classes in various wood craft.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #2318
billbot85
Mad Scientist

Today I got to celebrate World Tai Chi and Qigong Day by doing some Tai Chi with my teacher and group by the ocean, followed by going to an awesome Japanese Buffet restaurant (both sushi and hot food) afterward. Overall, a great day

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #2319
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Thanks to Amazon points I was able to pick up a USS Enterprise drone from Amazon today for $10.

It apparently makes noises, like when you crash it'll play the Red Alert Klaxon.
I'm so entertained!
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #2320
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Sounds cool, but I feel like they're encouraging people to crash it and break it, haha.

Last edited by Cure; 05-01-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote