The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-25-2018, 12:44 AM   #1
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Random Thoughts: TMNT Edition

Ever have a thought, idea, or "headcanon" around TMNT that isn't worth starting up a new thread or necroposting, or just don't have anywhere else to put it?

Well, here's the place for you!

And as for a thought that's been buzzing around in my head...

I don't think the Utroms developed space travel and technology on their own.
Because of course that's the kind of topic that would come first in this thread.
Spoiler:
As smart as they are, I think they would probably have been too busy just trying to stay alive to try doing anything even remotely related to creating advanced technology. Even the 'mining for ore' parts of it. Leatherhead has proven their size is a pretty enormous disadvantage when it comes to the predator game, so at least in early stages.

Instead, they focused on building a civilization around their own prey's migration patterns, basically just eating anything that comes out of the water, and paying close attention to the things that did. Sure, they could master fire and rudimentary tools, but they probably weren't at a point where they could go much further until a species with hands came to them. One that has already mastered space travel came to their planet in a Star Trek-ish space exploration mission. Neutrinos or D'Hoonibs depending on which version you want to work with.
When they realize that the Utroms could by taught particle physics and quantum, they did.
And did they ever learn.

They end up looking like they caused this situation.

I'm not entirely sure of how the timeline of this would work, but it would probably be over several generations for sure. (If we still want to call bull on Utroms living for thousands and thousands of years - which I do.)
Old 04-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

One thing that has always bothered me about tmnt in general is how Shredder and the Foot Clan still used traditional Ninja weapons in a city where the Police Officers and such have guns.

For the turtles I can understand since they were raised in a sewer, where Splinter didn't have access to the latest technology, but Shredder clearly has power within the city and control over gangs and such, so I expected him to be more than in a state where the cops could bust him in a moment's notice if they ever suspected something about that big building in New York City.

Not something that I had a problem with in the Original Cartoon, since laser guns were the norm and Bebop/Rocksteady were well armed enough to easily outmatch the police while the technodrome could destroy the entire U.S army by itself.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Not something that I had a problem with in the Original Cartoon, since laser guns were the norm and Bebop/Rocksteady were well armed enough to easily outmatch the police while the technodrome could destroy the entire U.S army by itself.
I have an in-universe theory here.

Rayguns don't exist on Earth when the original series begins, except inside the Technodrome. But following the fights between the turtles and Shredder's and Krang's forces during seasons 1 and 2, several rayguns are broken and left on the streets of New York City.

Gangsters later gets access to them (with or without Shredder's assistance) and finally even the local police begins to use them.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Someone understands me... All those little random things that don't get mentioned because it's just gonna get ignored anyhow. (Where is much of the playfulness in this fandom...)

Such as, as I wondered a while ago, if the TMNT could each have a regular real world vehicle, what makes/models would appeal/suit each of them? (PD movies type cars excluded.)
Spoiler:
Raph's easy with the motorcycle, but besides that?

I could see Leo as a Jeep Wrangler kind of guy... tough and dependable, understated but awesome, and that it can be topless could be an asset for a guy with large weapons in a hurry who doesn't need to be slowed down by getting them and himself into the car.

Donnie I can't even begin to guess... but I'm sure he's added his own modifications.

For Mikey, maybe something with a similar vibe to the Wrangler; or also a Wrangler, but a bit more tricked out, "bikini" style top on nice days, and in a flashier color.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Mikey would totally be into sports cars

Until the day the comes when he crashes Splinter's personal favourite Porsche (don't ask me how he got it or drives it) and has to confess like a college student to his father.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Which drinks would accurately represent the Turtles at their best?
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Do you mean alcoholic drinks?

I never saw the turtles as drinking alcohol (forgive me Mirage fans ) but I always assumed that they would down a fair amount of soda with their pizza.

6 replies in and this is already the best thread on the drome by far

Old 04-25-2018, 10:07 AM   #9
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Do you mean alcoholic drinks?

I never saw the turtles as drinking alcohol (forgive me Mirage fans ) but I always assumed that they would down a fair amount of soda with their pizza.

6 replies in and this is already the best thread on the drome by far
I mean, if there was/were a drink that represented Michelangelo (for example), what drink would that be?

Would it be a root-beer float, a peach tea, or something else entirely?
Old 04-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #10
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
There's a one-shot called something like You Had To Be There where we see Mike just...plastered, and wandering home from god knows where. He accidentally falls into a rift in time/space, and ends up nearly sacrificed to some random god by a woman in a chain mail bikini.

And then no one believes him.

So from that alone I'd imagine Mike wouldn't drink.
Raph's a beer guy. And not good beer. The glorified water kind that Casey drinks because it's cheap. Maybe some Jack Daniels.

I'd imagine Don's drink of choice has more caffeine than any beverage ought to.

If Leo drinks, he drinks the good stuff.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

I had another idea that ties into something I've said before. I jokingly said that, like her Mirage counterpart, Fred Wolf April was a magic drawing (along with Channel 6 itself).

Now, you know how how the plot usually tied into whatever the hell Channel 6 reported on? Now, if April and Channel 6 are creations of Kirby's magic crystal, why not their news stories? Imagine if, after their creation, the crystal ended up in some science fiction author's typewriter. As they are created from the same source, one is drawn to the other, which is why Channel 6 was always there. Sure would explain why there's monsters and doomsday devices everywhere. It would also explain why everything is so repetative and cliché, as the writer has very little imagination and only writes for a paycheck.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:05 PM   #12
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Speaking of diverse body types I do welcome more muscular women characters(I want to give thanks to the IDW artist who gave Karai prounounced biceps and created Natsu)
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:53 AM   #13
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

SJW BS and identity politics ruined Star Wars so keep that crap away from TMNT.

Again, whoever is right for the job should have the job regardless of sex.
Sabacooza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #14
newfan
Mad Scientist

Yes, I was also thinking of suggesting that although these things affect/matter to people and will come up, there should be a reasonable degree to how much of a thread is taken up with it, the threads that aren't threads geared towards it that is. So far as the comment, I appreciate where people are coming from btw, but as said by others, whoever can do a good job be they male or female.

Last edited by newfan; 06-30-2018 at 11:36 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #15
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Yes, I was also thinking of suggesting that although these things affect/matter to people and will come up, there should be a reasonable degree to how much of a thread is taken up with it, the threads that aren't threads geared towards it that is. So far as the comment, I appreciate where people are coming from btw, but as said by others, whoever can do a good job be they male or female.

You're right. My apologies.

Anyways, are we going to see the Turtles become full-blown carnivores anytime soon?

I know that Rise!Donnie was confirmed to be one, but I would like for a version to explore a different path where all of the Turtles' are confirmed carnivores.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #16
Ninjinister
無問題

Inclusion and representation is important but to expect literally everything or even just the specific things you want to, to cater specifically to you, is a bit far-fetched. And I don't just mean that last part to refer to the former. No matter what you want out of something, even if it's... like a taller Splinter, or a more violent show, they're not going to switch gears because you want to.

Quote:
SJW BS and identity politics ruined Star Wars so keep that crap away from TMNT.
*No "SJW BS" or identity politics in the recent Star Wars movies. I'm tired of assholes labeling anything that has anything other than straight white guys in the lead as SJW sh*t. It's like you're a self-mocking parody of yourselves. SJW used to be a specific thing - the overzealous garbage that used to populate tumblr. Now it's slapped on anything that has a prominent female or black or Muslim or gay character, like those people are supposed to be ignored? I don't remember Todd McFarlane getting crapped on for Spawn or Milestone Comics being harangued for their diverse lineup. Again, just like the above part, no piece of media has to cater to you.
*Why does merely acknowledging that other people exist and have adventures piss off people so much?
*Female and "minority" leads were cool in the EU but as soon as they come to the movies, it's "ruined"? I hate nerds so much.
*Rogue One and The Last Jedi were not only the best Star Wars movies, but the only good ones ever.

God, people have so much negativity for things that don't even impact them at all.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #17
Xav
Foot Elite

OMG like it or not SJW politics are clearly in the new Star Wars films you've to be blind not to see it. Also Rey is a horrible written character and it has nothing to do with the fact that she is a woman.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #18
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

To each their own, I felt the exact same way about A New Hope Luke.

and I don't really think there's all that much different from the politics of the two previous trilogies to the politics of the new one.

Someone should really introduce a subsection of the Star Wars fandom to transformative Works, before they blow a gasket.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #19
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
OMG like it or not SJW politics are clearly in the new Star Wars films you've to be blind not to see it. Also Rey is a horrible written character and it has nothing to do with the fact that she is a woman.
Maybe if you don't know what an "SJW" is, you'd think that.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #20
Xav
Foot Elite

An "SJW" is defined as "an individual who promotes socially progressive views, including feminism, civil rights, and multiculturalism, as well as identity politics." Are you trying to tell me the new Star Wars films do none of that?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote