The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-26-2021, 02:04 PM   #1
hubertx2
New Recruit

Lieutenant Leo in 1987 series?

Just watched episode 2X05 of the original 87' series (it's the one with magic crystal that can create anything you can think about) and there's a weird moment near the end. The turtles are watching TV at April's nerd cameraman's house, and the TV shows various parodies of other cartoons as they flip through the channels - The Smurfs and Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Then they flip the channel again, and see Leonardo in army gear, shooting some kind of automatic rifle! There's no dialogue related to it, no one seems to notice it except two of the turtles who don't say anything about it.

It's just so weird! What's the deal with it? Is it supposed to be some kind of product placement for the action figure? Is it just a joke? There's no reference to it in the TMNT wiki so I thought I'd ask here. What do you guys think?
hubertx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:30 PM   #2
mikey0
Foot Elite

This episode of the 1988 syndicated series predates the release of Lieutenant Leo in late 1991, so I am presuming that Leo in army gear with his automatic rifle was a quick spoof of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles made by the writers as a joke.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:03 PM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Blodgett has some weird decorations in his apartment!
Spoiler:

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:36 PM   #4
dragonside
Hench Mutant

the extra dimensional rambo leo
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:16 PM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

someone help me explain this in universe, please I can't sleep with a simple "it's an easter egg", I need a logical explanation! not #readyforthenewnew
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #6
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
the extra dimensional rambo leo
I actually think that's not far off... I believe Rambo III came out around this time, and featured those same styled copter in them as well.
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:49 AM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
someone help me explain this in universe, please I can't sleep with a simple "it's an easter egg", I need a logical explanation! not #readyforthenewnew
Here's my Marvel-No Prize pitch.

The 87-verse already ran a number of cartoons that would be comparable to what we know as Smurfs and Alvin & the Chipmunks during the years that the turtles were teenagers but still unknown to the public. After the wild events of the first season (most notably the Dimension X would-be takeover and Krang's Android rampage), April did her season-ending news report on the existence of the TMNT as heroes. Thus, the Turtles are now public knowledge.

A fledging cartoon studio sees an opportunity to exploit the recent events in hopes of getting wider exposure. There's already a precedent for this sort of thing by the end of episode 5, when a fan-boy is wearing an apparently unlicensed Turtle Power shirt to show his support:

They already have in-development a military action show in the vein of G. I. Joe, Rambo: The Force of Freedom, Chuck Norris Karate Kommandos, etc. but there's still enough time to swap out the main character models to make them resemble the only image of the Ninja Turtles that people are familiar with:

The TMNT are obviously amused by it, but because we never see or hear it referenced again throughout the series, we can probably assume it failed to connect with its target audience. Or more likely, the late production change may have wrecked the plans for a tie-in action figure line, thus sticking retailers with a slew of generic-looking military figures that no longer tied into a cartoon show. Either the existing molds would have to be rebranded or the toyline would be delayed until they could produce figures that match the Turtle-styled character. Either way, it was a poor instance of marketing synergy that likely spelled doom for the cartoon show, during a time when such shows were almost entirely dependent on toy sales.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-27-2021 at 09:02 AM.
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #8
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I like it, just like how in the deleted scenes of the 1990 movie they pitched the idea of mutant turtles. Perhaps, the cartoon only lasted one short 5 episode season without being picked up, hell perhaps that Ace Duck cameo is the same show afterall he's a fighter pilot and they went with the idea of a cartoon with anthropomorphic animals fighting in a war after the news report.

In a cartoon, how do you even tell if the show they're watching is live-action or animated?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:17 PM   #9
dragonside
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OA View Post
I actually think that's not far off... I believe Rambo III came out around this time, and featured those same styled copter in them as well.
yeah exactly... i think it was just.. let's put a little reference to popular culture here... so that those kids one day will ask whole bunch of questions why
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote