The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-09-2021, 10:02 PM   #121
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
But they can self identify as trans?
Maybe next year. They have to do these indoctrination media things in phases. We're still at the "let's get lots of teenagers coming out to famous dads."
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #122
Leo656
The Franchise

I thought we were in the "Celebrities Whose Three-Year-Old Kids Are Somehow Gender-Fluid And/Or Nonbinary" Phase? These things change so fast!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:03 AM   #123
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Angus Macfadyen has been cast as Jor-El

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/...el-exclusive-/

And, yep, they're pulling a Donner/Smallville with him by having him be the Fortress A.I
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:31 AM   #124
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Some more footage from a leaked promotional 'Sneek Peek'

Old 02-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #125
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Some more footage from a leaked promotional 'Sneek Peek'

Glad they fixed the suit. This looks better.

Disappointing they didn't use the Smallville Kent farm like in pervious seasons of Supergirl.

Overall seems like a clusterf*ck though.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:19 PM   #126
Leo656
The Franchise

I missed the first chunk of the episode because I forgot it was on today; we jumped in at the scene of Clark's kids yelling at him for not telling them he was Superman; which was alright but the one "emo" son's acting was a bit cringe-y.

So far it seems okay, but the one thing that jumps out at me the most is how very much they're trying to mimic Snyder's movies with the visual presentation. Like they literally cribbed entire scenes, sequences, camera angles, framing, and choreography. And just now they ripped a scene 1:1 from "Superman Returns".

It's not "bad", just interesting. Like it's very, very deliberate, to the point where it jumps out at you. "This is the same shot from MoS, this is that one scene from BvS," etc. Even the lighting and color palette during the scenes they "homage" is exactly the same. Points for doing their homework I guess.

I'm gonna have to see the whole thing from the beginning to really have an opinion. I don't like this Lois much, though. I get that they're trying to call back to Margot Kidder, but I never really liked her much as Lois, and I don't think that "Coked-Up Scarecrow" needs to be the "canon visual" for what Lois Lane looks like. I know, I'm shallow.

Tyler seems better here than he did in Supergirl.

I'unno, like I said I'd have to see the whole thing but so far it's not bad. There's some potential here. I'd still prefer just a "plain" Superman show, though, but that's me. I know that the people who write these shows feel that the "traditional" approach to these stories is tired and played out, but I disagree.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:17 PM   #127
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Really enjoying this so far. Agreed with Leo Tyler is so much better in this because he doesn't have to play second fiddle to Melissa on supergirl anymore. Can't wait to see what the first Season has in store.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:23 PM   #128
Leo656
The Franchise

We'll see. I gave Supergirl a chance and gave up after about four episodes, and every time I checked back in after that it had just gotten worse. So I'm willing to see what comes up but I've been burned before. It's still the CW, after all.

One thing that struck me between what I saw and what I read about, was the sheer number of homages and Easter eggs packed into this one pilot episode. Which can be good, in that it says "Look, we did our homework!" in the way they worked to include bits and pieces from pretty much every single other Superman movie and TV show. And that's a nice way to get people on your side right out of the gate. BUT, it also leads to questions about what they'll do when they can't just rely on Nostalgia Pops; they can't just crib visual homages and lines of dialog forever, after all, I mean they used up a bunch already just in this one episode.

Like I said, we'll see what happens.

Last edited by Leo656; 02-23-2021 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:36 PM   #129
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Looks like The Stranger is indeed Lex but from an Alt earth from what Twitter is saying . so there are two Lex Luthors in the Arrowverse
Old 02-24-2021, 01:05 AM   #130
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I missed the first chunk of the episode because I forgot it was on today; we jumped in at the scene of Clark's kids yelling at him for not telling them he was Superman; which was alright but the one "emo" son's acting was a bit cringe-y.

So far it seems okay, but the one thing that jumps out at me the most is how very much they're trying to mimic Snyder's movies with the visual presentation. Like they literally cribbed entire scenes, sequences, camera angles, framing, and choreography. And just now they ripped a scene 1:1 from "Superman Returns".

It's not "bad", just interesting. Like it's very, very deliberate, to the point where it jumps out at you. "This is the same shot from MoS, this is that one scene from BvS," etc. Even the lighting and color palette during the scenes they "homage" is exactly the same. Points for doing their homework I guess.

I'm gonna have to see the whole thing from the beginning to really have an opinion. I don't like this Lois much, though. I get that they're trying to call back to Margot Kidder, but I never really liked her much as Lois, and I don't think that "Coked-Up Scarecrow" needs to be the "canon visual" for what Lois Lane looks like. I know, I'm shallow.

Tyler seems better here than he did in Supergirl.

I'unno, like I said I'd have to see the whole thing but so far it's not bad. There's some potential here. I'd still prefer just a "plain" Superman show, though, but that's me. I know that the people who write these shows feel that the "traditional" approach to these stories is tired and played out, but I disagree.
Saw it now, too. Though mine seems to end with Superman plummeting toward Earth after getting stabbed at the hour mark, but it was billed as a 2 hour event? *shrug*

Yeah, I definitely saw a ton of stylistic borrowings from "Man of Steel" especially. Even the music! When Superman gets thrown outside... that "dum-dadda-dum, dadda-DUM!" is like identical to the score during the fights in MoS.

It's not bad. I'm going into this SUPER suspicious, but I didn't see any SJW ideology at play... yet. If I had to make a bet... the brown haired kid gets to be straight because they've already established he had some kind of mental thing going on (i.e., they won't make the "crazy" one be gay), so that means the jock-like blond son will become the gay one. But they left this first episode devoid of any of that.

But I'm not fooled... yet. Supergirl had a great premiere devoid of SJW stuff, and that was literally as long as that lasted. 1 episode.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:17 AM   #131
Leo656
The Franchise

No, they had a whole extra half-hour to the episode after that spot. The episode was 90 minutes and then there was a half-hour puff piece talking to the actors and writer/producers about the Making Of. That's the "two hours".

I'd check your DVR settings, that was just a spot for a commercial break, not the end of the episode. They came back from commercial and did a note-for-note "homage" to the shot of him plummeting to Earth from "Superman Returns", except for him not landing in a giant crater at the end of it.

Frankly, I wasn't thrilled with how they more or less decided to have him no-sell the Kryptonite as soon as it became plot-convenient; he just "thinks of Lois" more or less and suddenly it was like he barely felt the Kryptonite anymore and snaps out of it, that was kinda weak. But whatever.

The rest of the episode was basically them as a family deciding to stay in Smallville, and the "shocking" reveal of who "The Stranger" was... which everyone pretty much already guessed.

If you missed any part of I think they're replaying it on Saturday. But it'll probably be online before then, too.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:13 AM   #132
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I enjoyed the pilot. I agree with Leo that there were a bucketload of easter eggs, one right after the other in some cases. They also ripped lines from the comics wholesale ("My mom made it for me" comes straight out of "A Superman For All Seasons"). The feats with the nuclear plant reminded me of similar tricks in Superman III.

I wish we'd seen more of Supes in this episode, I also feel it was a big risk concluding a pilot episode on Clark getting curb-stomped by the new Lex

Lois is fine, but played too big a "Marge Simpson" role here, nagging Clark, there wasn't enough of a spotlight on her personal investigation into Morgan Edge, and I don't think it was in character for Lois to keep Clark at home when her father needed him to investigate the nuclear plant attacks.

Jordan is my spirit animal. I wish they'd made him Jon, for christ's sake, he has the EXACT same look as young Jon from the comics, and he has all the powers also.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:51 AM   #133
Leo656
The Franchise

But that would be "predictable", and it wouldn't "subvert expectations". You know that's the Very First Thing that gets discussed when these things start moving forward in development. Like having the kid named Jordan in real life not actually play the character named "Jordan", because Lord knows that would just be "too easy". "We gotta over-think and over-complicate everything Just Because."

And actually "My Mom/Mother made it for me" was from the "Lois & Clark" pilot way before it was in the comics. I have a very strong feeling that they cribbed it from there, not from "Superman For All Seasons". I'd be shocked if they used too many comics for reference at all, quite frankly, as almost every single homage/reference they used was specifically from the movies and TV shows (at least the ones I saw in the second half). That seemed to be the direct theme, borrowing liberally from previous film and TV works. I guess it's possible they took it from the book but it seems more likely that it's a "Lois & Clark" reference, to me. Just going by the theme.

Like for example I know that on the Superman Homepage they have an article about the Easter Eggs, and they cite the scene of Superman and the car as an Action Comics #1 homage, and obviously yeah, but the way it's shot and staged, it's more of an homage to the way they pulled that off in "Superman Returns", as it bears more of a resemblance to that than it does to the comic book cover.

Fleischer suit was a cute touch. A bit of a stretch to accept that any semi-modern version of the character would have actually worn such a dated design, but it's a nice bit of history and it's fun when it pops up.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:19 AM   #134
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I wish we'd seen more of Supes in this episode, I also feel it was a big risk concluding a pilot episode on Clark getting curb-stomped by the new Lex
Yeah... they really needed to come out of the gate with Superman kicking ass, especially after his treatment over and over again in Supergirl. They could save this "New Lex" (is it Alexander Luthor? probably. I see Geoff's shifty little name on this) for the 2nd episode.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #135
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

I thought the pilot was decent, even if the writing for the kids was kinda iffy.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:31 AM   #136
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I admit... this gives me hope, lol...

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/ex-superman-fisher-jl-case/

Really kind of seems like this writer lady was like, "B-b-b-but important SJW issues! Bechdel test and these other ones, blah blah" and was politely told to stfu. Which is... shocking. For CW. I want to say "maybe they've learned?" but I'm hesitant.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-01-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:54 AM   #137
CyberCubed
Overlord

Tbh this series should have been standalone, the fact that a lot of Superman's villains like Lex Luthor especially were already used on Supergirl takes a lot of freshness out of this series. This show should have been the start of an all-new universe even with the same Superman actor, because knowing half the villains have appeared already on Supergirl takes a lot out of it.

If she can handle all these villains, what need is there for Superman?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #138
Vegita-San
Emperor

does this get filmed in canada?

maybe canada can still be saved from wokeness.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:10 AM   #139
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
If she can handle all these villains, what need is there for Superman?
Because Supergirl is f*cking off.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:13 AM   #140
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'll wait until Ted Cruz chimes on this show before I start watching it.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote