The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #1
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Paramount Plus and TMNT

Paramount Plus has launched. It's a streaming service that brings the content from their previous service CBS All Access together with new and legacy content from Nickelodeon, BET and others under a new umbrella to better compete with Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, Apple TV+, and the other popular streaming destinations.

TMNT Social media accounts have posted that lots of legacy TMNT content is now available there to stream. It looks like this service will be a hub for lots of TMNT content down the road, especially after the upcoming Netflix deals have come and gone.

I won't get into all the offerings of the service. You can research more here and here.

My question is, if new and exclusive TMNT content like a new series, direct-to-paramount-plus movie or the like came to Paramount Plus, would you want that? Do you think a streaming service might have more to offer TMNT than the standard Nick channels (larger budget, possibility for teen or adult rated content, etc.)

Look at the new CGI Spongebob companion series launching there for an example of the quality it might have if they did.

I suspect we may see some exclusive TMNT content there at some point, possibly starting with the upcoming "TMNT: The Next Chapter", so I wanted to get a thread started where we can discuss the service and what it might bring for TMNT, as well as get peoples current impressions of the service if you already subscribe or are thinking about doing so soon.

I guess my dream would be for a new live action series featuring suits like the 90s TMNT films, only done at a higher production level similar to DC's Titans or modern Power Rangers shows. Next Mutation was a long time ago, I think it's something worth looking into for them.

Last edited by Zulithe; 03-04-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:04 PM   #2
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Paramount Plus has launched. It's a streaming service that brings the content from their previous service CBS All Access together with new and legacy content from Nickelodeon, BET and others under a new umbrella to better compete with Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, Apple TV+, and the other popular streaming destinations.

TMNT Social media accounts have posted that lots of legacy TMNT content is now available there to stream. It looks like this service will be a hub for lots of TMNT content down the road, especially after the upcoming Netflix deals have come and gone.

I won't get into all the offerings of the service. You can research more here and here.

My question is, if new and exclusive TMNT content like a new series, direct-to-paramount-plus movie or the like came to Paramount Plus, would you want that? Do you think a streaming service might have more to offer TMNT than the standard Nick channels (larger budget, possibility for teen or adult rated content, etc.)

Look at the new CGI Spongebob companion series launching there for an example of the quality it might have if they did.

I suspect we may see some exclusive TMNT content there at some point, possibly starting with the upcoming "TMNT: The Next Chapter", so I wanted to get a thread started where we can discuss the service and what it might bring for TMNT, as well as get peoples current impressions of the service if you already subscribe or are thinking about doing so soon.

I guess my dream would be for a new live action series featuring suits like the 90s TMNT films, only done at a higher production level similar to DC's Titans or modern Power Rangers shows. Next Mutation was a long time ago, I think it's something worth looking into for them.
According to the TMNT twitter. Rise will be added later this month.
https://twitter.com/TMNT/status/1367502317289955328

I can see some exclusive stuff from TMNT coming to Paramount+ down the line. Also that CGI movie from Seth Rogen, I bet that one will be on Paramount+ after 45 days of its theatrical run.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:57 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Well, first off, the 2003 show should already be on there and I know Rise is coming. I would also also assume the PD movies, the 2012 show and possibly those shorts will be on there. I assume the Fred Wolf cartoon, the OVA, the 90's movies, the 2007 movie and Next Mutation won't be due to copyright issues.

As for original content? As in what I would like or what's more probable?
In terms of what I would like... I do have some ideas of what might work:
  • A series of more accurate animated movie adaptations of the major Mirage Studios arcs.
  • A series adapting IDW up until issue 100 (Just change it so that Jennika and Krang really die, Hob's bomb fail and a few other key changes to tie up the loose plot threads).
  • An movie, possibly live-action, based on Last Ronin.
  • Standalone shows featuring characters like Casey and the Fugitoid as main characters, not so much spin-offs as attempts to make these characters work divorced from the TMNT.

But as for what's probable... Nickelodeon is on life support, it'll probably get shut down around 2025 or so, maybe it'll last beyond 2030 but I seriously doubt it. The kiddy section of Paramount+ (which might get labelled as Nickelodeon) will probably replace the channel, meaning the new TMNT content on the service won't be too disimilar from the 2012 show or Rise.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:17 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
But as for what's probable... Nickelodeon is on life support, it'll probably get shut down around 2025 or so, maybe it'll last beyond 2030 but I seriously doubt it.
Hm, why do you say that? All TV channels ratings are down from 10+ years ago, but I don't think the channel is in trouble. They can just air Spongebob 24/7 and that alone would keep them afloat.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:20 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Hm, why do you say that? All TV channels ratings are down from 10+ years ago, but I don't think the channel is in trouble. They can just air Spongebob 24/7 and that alone would keep them afloat.
A channel that literally only exists for the purpose of airing episodes of a single show is practiacally dead already. It's a goddamned zombie of a channel at that point.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:13 PM   #6
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

I would like a continuation of 2003 series,but I doubt that would happen.
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:54 AM   #7
Roseangelo
Emperor

I will not be giving Paramount+ money.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:12 AM   #8
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikWolferson View Post
I would like a continuation of 2003 series,but I doubt that would happen.
As far as I’m aware the cast were all non-union, so they’d have to replace the entire cast as well as creating new stories etc, probably without the old creative crew (and certainly without Peter Laird), so I doubt it’ll happen
Old 03-05-2021, 01:50 AM   #9
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I really hate that so much has become streaming exclusive. We’ve literally gone backwards in TV formats. Netflix makes sense and Amazon Prime but that’s about it. Maybe Disney+ is ok (I don’t have it though).

Now everyone thinks they’re worthy of having a streaming service when it’s just breaking apart franchises and new content that would have been widely available to anyone with a decent tv provider.

I know companies just want part of the success that Netflix started but I really believe it’ll balance out at some point and someone will figure out how to bundle things again or at least make them more practical. It’s ridiculous how many there are now.

I complained when Cartoon Network/Boomerang created a streaming service moved new Scooby content to it. They do eventually air reruns on TV but after like a year. Sorry but all those old cartoons are NOT worthy of a paid streaming service when they’ve been in reruns for decades upon decades.

They still show old cartoons on Boomerang so I don’t know what the point of their service is. Portability?
Old 03-05-2021, 06:33 AM   #10
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I really hate that so much has become streaming exclusive. We’ve literally gone backwards in TV formats. Netflix makes sense and Amazon Prime but that’s about it. Maybe Disney+ is ok (I don’t have it though).

Now everyone thinks they’re worthy of having a streaming service when it’s just breaking apart franchises and new content that would have been widely available to anyone with a decent tv provider.

I know companies just want part of the success that Netflix started but I really believe it’ll balance out at some point and someone will figure out how to bundle things again or at least make them more practical. It’s ridiculous how many there are now.

I complained when Cartoon Network/Boomerang created a streaming service moved new Scooby content to it. They do eventually air reruns on TV but after like a year. Sorry but all those old cartoons are NOT worthy of a paid streaming service when they’ve been in reruns for decades upon decades.

They still show old cartoons on Boomerang so I don’t know what the point of their service is. Portability?
I’d have to agree with this to an extent. I don’t even have Netflix, admittedly, because, while some of its exclusives are tempting to me, I wish I didn’t have to pay monthly for a service I wouldn’t even be using 24/7. Sadly, I know I’m in the minority there...

As for TMNT in particular, whether it becomes exclusive to Paramount Plus or not, I admittedly don’t have the best hopes for the franchise, especially since it’s already been established that Nick only has one real hit show right now, which isn’t even a new one.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #11
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

People must stop paying for streaming services and then they will all die. When this happens Diseny, Netflix, Warner Bros and Paramount will be forced to make again some real tv channels(not stream services) and air all of their series there like they used to do until this crazyness with streaming services started!!
Old 03-05-2021, 08:03 AM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

You don't have to pay for any streaming service, I certainly don't and I watch whatever I want.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #13
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Meh, streaming won’t go away. This is the future.

Even before we have exclusives on each tv channel, this is no different. I think it’s a healthy competition.

What’s in store for TMNT, we’ll see. If it’s really good, people will come flocking to the platform just like The Mandalorian and Wandavision did for Disney Plus.

Quote:
You don't have to pay for any streaming service, I certainly don't and I watch whatever I want.
Not everyone wants to be like you.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:41 AM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, there's nothing more vulgar than a rich f*cking thief.

Guy's got half a million in the bank and he's nickel-and-diming on how he watches TV. And bragging about it incessantly. That's how you make friends.

"Bread for your starving family" this ain't, and you ain't Robin Hood. You're not "fighting the Man," you're just a selfish, greedy bastard who thinks rules don't apply to you. That doesn't make you smart, it just means you're a narcissist and a sociopath.

I try to like you, but you make it really hard sometimes.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

For a franchise whose cartoons are partly dependent on toy sales and needing to draw enough attention to get that interest, what good would it be to restrict viewership to only those willing to buy the streaming service. Sure, put it on there for people who have given up cable and can't see it on regular tv, but don't put it there exclusively.

It's almost as if paying for cable used to be understood as already paying for content from these companies.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:58 AM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

I just gotta be blunt... I don't think Nick has made one single good decision since they bought the franchise.

They've made some money, sure, but one figures they could make a lot more than they have, if only they tried a little harder. Like yeah, they already made their money back, but every effort they've put forth was pretty halfhearted, except maybe the NickToon.

I always get the feeling like Nick went into the whole TMNT endeavor with very low expectations, and so long as those expectations are met they have no urgency to actually try and grow the brand or improve the situation.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #17
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:29 AM   #18
sdp
-

This will fail, way too late to the party. HBO Max will likely never be big despite all the money AT&T is pouring into it, Disney was only able to make it because of their strong brand & all the money they put into it but mainly also releasing during the pandemic and a year earlier. I see no TNM so no subscription from me. Paramount just doesn't have the money to keep up with the major players in the game.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:30 AM   #19
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I just gotta be blunt... I don't think Nick has made one single good decision since they bought the franchise.

They've made some money, sure, but one figures they could make a lot more than they have, if only they tried a little harder. Like yeah, they already made their money back, but every effort they've put forth was pretty halfhearted, except maybe the NickToon.

I always get the feeling like Nick went into the whole TMNT endeavor with very low expectations, and so long as those expectations are met they have no urgency to actually try and grow the brand or improve the situation.
Yeah, for the most part.

The 2012 show did well and that's great. They let the Batman vs. TMNT thing happen and for the most part it turned out pretty awesome. Probably because they must have just let DC do their thing and kept their own hand out of it, but still, they were brave enough to allow it. (And more shocking, have aired it on Nick, albeit a little edited.) They've also allowed Last Ronin to happen and sounds like it is also doing well. There's some small ray of light there, but so far they aren't taking it and running with it. That we know of.

But for some reason they keep on failing to acknowledge that an older audience would be a viable target for a series. Maybe they have behind closed doors after the bombing of Rise and not capturing their target audience for it, I dunno. But it has bugged me that they haven't bothered despite their overall company owning more channels than just Nick. If they ONLY had Nick and were simply clueless and unable to go elsewhere, fine... but they have plenty of other channels with content for older audiences. I don't think it would be that hard to just hand it off to someone else under the company umbrella that might know how to do something that isn't just for little children.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:31 AM   #20
AquaParade
Banned

I just started a free trial. I won't subscribe, as I really try to limit my monthly fee's, but I thought it might be fun to browse around. I was hoping they'd have the original cartoon, because I was feeling nostalgic.

I ended up watching like 5 episodes of "The Real World" from the early 2000's. Pretty disgusted with myself. I'm not one to be shy about ripping on reality television, but seeing it for the first time in a while, it's almost as addictive as it is grotesque. I suppose just appeals to the lowly versions of ourselves that like to judge others and eavesdrop on drama.

I also watched a few episodes of the animated "Aeon Flux". I'd always meant to check this show out and I'm glad I did. Utterly strange and fascinating. I can't decide whether it makes me even more uncomfortable than "The Real World", but either way, it's much more impressive and recommendable.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paramount plus