The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 02-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Young Adults And Fatal Heart Attacks

I debated whether I should post this personal event as I am looking for answers. I know I will never get a full answer as to "why" however any clarification would be slightly soothing. I lost an old friend early in the week at the age of 30. She had no signs according to her parents and it came out of nowhere. Perfectly healthy up to several hours before she died. When we graduated high school together she was chunky, I mean 140lbs 5'6 height. Though in college she slimmed down about thirty pounds lighter and developed a figure. I am told that Saturday evening of last week she vomited violently and had major stomach pains. Went to the ER that next morning because the stomach pain did not improve. I don't know about between the ER arrival and her sudden death about twelve hours after she initially felt ill. I am just trying to make sense of this. How can a heart attack sneak up on a 30 year old woman who had no signs or symptoms other than being slightly obese when she was 16-19 year old? No alcohol or drugs. She is a conservative Christian type. There was the college freshmen drinking binge like most, but didn't beyond that. I don't know of any prescriptions. Anyone who know more about heart health or witnessed something like this from afar I would like to hear from. Thanks.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 02-04-2018 at 05:43 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Some congenital birth defects can go unnoticed for most of a person's life. A lot of doctors can miss the more subtle indicators.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

So sorry about your friend, that's so sad!

Yeah, agree with Cylons. That was always kind of a worry of mine... That a person could have some unknown thing wrong that after a few decades to wear and tear maybe it might give out.

At the same time... did a heart issue cause the pain and vomiting, or was that related to something else that in turn caused the heart attack?
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
So sorry about your friend, that's so sad!

Yeah, agree with Cylons. That was always kind of a worry of mine... That a person could have some unknown thing wrong that after a few decades to wear and tear maybe it might give out.

At the same time... did a heart issue cause the pain and vomiting, or was that related to something else that caused the heart attack?
I don't know. Her preacher moonlights as a security guard at high school sporting events. He called me over to tell me Tuesday night and mentioned that she had died of a sudden heart attack. At the visitation the next night her mother gave the information about the violent vomiting and intense stomach pain. There was a toxicology report done and I want to hear the results whenever that would be. While he mother did not mention heart attack that was who the preacher got it from. There were rumors of her contacting the flu, but that was denied by her parents. Its just she was perfectly healthy to about half a day before she is dead. If something else was known I am sure it would have been said. There might be a key bit I don't know,but I related everything that I know.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 02-04-2018 at 06:03 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well, what I asked was largely just rhetorical speculation. I do hope you're able to find out more and get the answers you are looking for.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #6
Katie
Just...way too serious.

Severe vomiting can cause dehydration and loss of electrolytes which can cause cardiac events... but stomach pains are a sign of heart attack in women, so it could go either way.

At any rate still sucks. Sorry for her loss.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Condolences for your loss. I hope you and your family are able to cope well with it.

Could there be perhaps be a family history of heart attacks? All of my paternal ancestors have had heart attacks, and my father had one in his late 40s despite his superb health so I think thats one explanation as to why heart attacks occur early in people who are not very unhealthy.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
Severe vomiting can cause dehydration and loss of electrolytes which can cause cardiac events... but stomach pains are a sign of heart attack in women, so it could go either way.

At any rate still sucks. Sorry for her loss.
That was what confused me. I would not have connected stomach pain to a heart attack.

We were on yearbook staff together for three years, she was editor-in-chief while I was the photography editor. Due to that it was easy to convince the principal to allow a dedication of this year's yearbook to her from our shared graduate class. The least I could do for the crusading prosecutor.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #9
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Aw, that's very sweet. Will you be able to get a copy?
Old 02-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #10
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Aw, that's very sweet. Will you be able to get a copy?
Yes, I work there now as a teacher. I get a free copy for helping the current yearbook supervisor by supplying footballl, soccer, and concert pictures. Due to my previous association I dont mind snaping a few while already at events. The girl was like a granddaughter to the previous supervisor (calling her about this is the hardest thing I had to do in very long time) before she had any and her being instrumental in three straight yearbooks it just makes sense. If not a connection making the special case I never would have gone forward with the idea.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:41 AM   #11
Katie
Just...way too serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
That was what confused me. I would not have connected stomach pain to a heart attack.
Most of the signs and symptoms of heart attack we know well are those common for men. Women have different symptoms sometimes. Its a shame more people aren’t educated in the signs in women. Women are more likely to die from heart attack because they just don’t think they’re having one until its too late.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:52 AM   #12
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Most of the signs and symptoms of heart attack we know well are those common for men. Women have different symptoms sometimes. Its a shame more people aren’t educated in the signs in women. Women are more likely to die from heart attack because they just don’t think they’re having one until its too late.
Yes I remember reading the same thing, vomiting can occur also. As well as defects, blood clots can cause this in an otherwise healthy person, viruses have been known to cause heart damage to people.
A shocking and sad loss, I'm sorry to this has happened to your friend.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #13
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Sorry for your loss, really terrible to hear someone so young to die like this. Hopefully the autopsy can explain what happened.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

OP, this is actually one of my biggest fears. Having a heart attack, especially rather young.

Quote:
Still, don't more men statistically die of heart attacks than women? Afaik, women are less likely to have heart attacks before menopause. Most of the cases I hear of people dying of a heart attack when they're in their 30s-40s are of men.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I followed up with her preacher. He told me that it is confirmed as a sudden massive heart attack. She was consciously aware of what was going on and was transported 50 miles south to a hospital. She was believed to be able to be saved. However, she was turning blue and her kidneys failed. Signs had not shown anything shutting down and being conscious to the end. Her parents knowing what was going on where in complete shock when told "the doctors lost her". No signs before the violent vomiting roughly 22 hours before. Its just one of those things you cannot have warning signs or prevent I suppose and answers are only in small bits. I have made the move on setting up a scholarship in her name. Its just a matter of what type exactly at this time.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #16
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

50 miles to get to a hospital is absolutely absurd . Completely unacceptable. It's incredible how many people die because there isn't a hospital close enough to them to be saved.

Horrible that your friend had to go through that. I'm so sorry.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #17
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
50 miles to get to a hospital is absolutely absurd . Completely unacceptable. It's incredible how many people die because there isn't a hospital close enough to them to be saved.

Horrible that your friend had to go through that. I'm so sorry.
I don't know if it is a factor. I lost my grandmother in front of me, 3 years to the day my friend died. The hospital an ambulance would have taken to her to was sorry so she was transported to the next closest one where she passed out and never woke up at the ER check in. Would the time have been a difference to save her I will wonder until the day I die myself. The hospital had better resources and served her before. I wonder if my old friend if she was transported to the closest major heart doctors from our local one truly would have made a difference if her being saved or not. If she was there or lived 50 miles south would her life had been spared. I mean, up until it happened her parents and event the doctors up until her final half an hour thought she would pull through. Timing is what has made it rough for the understanding the event itself and the fact I just contacted her for the first time in good while. I had a coaching position for her lined up at our alama mater the day before and was looking forward to seeing her.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #18
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I followed up with her preacher. He told me that it is confirmed as a sudden massive heart attack. She was consciously aware of what was going on and was transported 50 miles south to a hospital.
So random at that age. You just never know I guess what or when in life something may happen to you. Continued condolences to you and her loved ones.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #19
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
So random at that age. You just never know I guess what or when in life something may happen to you. Continued condolences to you and her loved ones.
Thanks. I feel so bad for those close to her. Her high school click called Sweet Valley High all very close to this day or her childhood best friend who introduced me to her, or our former supervisor who I had to inform, and her parents just over 60 burying their child. I am taking it harder than I should,but its timing. The damning of time. The lady won two cases the same day it happened too. At her funeral there were 16 eulogies!
Old 02-09-2018, 10:35 PM   #20
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I am sorry for the loss of your friend. No one should have to go through such a loss.

I wish you and everyone else well.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote