The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #1341
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Thanks man. I think I'll at least skim a few issues.
I just skimmed over a few myself, reminiscing. You know, I take it back... these are pretty good, maybe I didn't appreciate them as a kid. I also had no idea they were written by Alan Grant and Simon Furman.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #1342
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I've also never seen Robocop, I had an old toy that shot powder I think and I once watched the cartoon but while I knew who he was I guess it was just before my time.

Now I feel like I need to watch it...
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #1343
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I just skimmed over a few myself, reminiscing. You know, I take it back... these are pretty good, maybe I didn't appreciate them as a kid. I also had no idea they were written by Alan Grant and Simon Furman.
Oh, that's a good writing pedigree. I like Furmans Transformers comics a lot and Alan Grants written more than his fair share of enjoyable Batman comics.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #1344
Sumac
Banned

I remember Terminator vs RoboCop comic book. It was weird and the whole time travel angle was really...complicated? More like complete non-sense, but there were few nice moments.

Miller has written scripts for both Robo 2 and 3, AFAIK, but Robo 3 script was butchered for the sake of making RoboCop more "accessible for children", which complete idiocy, considering the roots of the franchise.

RoboCop 1 is an awesome movie - an immortal classic, still relevant and funny today. Aside from couple of moments it's still looking fairly good.

RoboCop 2 is good, but it tries to be too edgy for the sake of being edgy and misses nuanced approach of the first movie. Though, it has one of the best motion-capture battles in the history of 80-s movies. And it was directed by Kirshner who was director of The Empire Strikes Back.

RoboCop 3 is trash. There is a good idea somewhere, but it's marred by desire of producers to make movie kid friendly. Also, special effects in it are awful and it was released after Terminator 2.

RoboCop (2014) is also quite mediocre. It has a good first half and bad second. Once again producers tried to make movie for kids.

Last edited by Sumac; 01-18-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #1345
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Has nobody else seen "RoboCop: Prime Directives"? It's the best RoboCop I've ever seen outside of the original movie.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #1346
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I remember Terminator vs RoboCop comic book. It was weird and the whole time travel angle was really...complicated? More like complete non-sense, but there were few nice moments.
I thought it made sense, but there's no question that you're right. It was a bit complicated.

Quote:
Miller has written scripts for both Robo 2 and 3, AFAIK, but Robo 3 script was butchered for the sake of making RoboCop more "accessible for children", which complete idiocy, considering the roots of the franchise.
It's beyond stupid. It still amazes me that they tried things like that back then. Stuff was thrown out for kids no matter what the source material. They made Robocop and Rambo cartoons. Unbelievable. There were Aliens toys at one point. Great movie - and I had a few of the toys, there were some really cool ones in those lines - but not one you'd expect kids to see, especially at the time when even the notion of kids seeing R-rated films made mom groups faint.

Quote:
RoboCop (2014) is also quite mediocre. It has a good first half and bad second. Once again producers tried to make movie for kids.
I actually haven't seen this one. Worth even bothering with, or just skip it?

Quote:
Has nobody else seen "RoboCop: Prime Directives"? It's the best RoboCop I've ever seen outside of the original movie.
I know of it, but I've never seen it. It was super limited release, right?
Old 01-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #1347
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I know of it, but I've never seen it. It was super limited release, right?
It was a full-on mini-series event on the Sci-Fi Channel around 2001. Then it went to DVD.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #1348
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
It was a full-on mini-series event on the Sci-Fi Channel around 2001. Then it went to DVD.
I never watched the Sci-Fi Channel with any regularity, which probably explains why I missed it. I doubt it would be too hard to find it on the internet now, though, so I might go digging later.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #1349
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
I watched it on Netflix about four years ago...

The only flaw it really has is the low-budget effects. I remember some parts looking like something out of Power Rangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #1350
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I watched it on Netflix about four years ago...

The only flaw it really has is the low-budget effects. I remember some parts looking like something out of Power Rangers.
Yeah, and there's one guy that looks like Bonesteel from Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation. But the story and character performances is really, really good.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #1351
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
NECA recently came out with some figures based off that, they look really nifty.

Quote:
I actually haven't seen this one. Worth even bothering with, or just skip it?
I liked it, but I also kept my expectation low when I saw it on Netflix. It's really hampered about the "no gore" even though in some regards it's kinda more gruesome in some places. It's worth a watch if you're invested in Robocop as the themes of the original movie is still present, but honestly the in-world commercials they ran on Facebook for the Omnicorp products are way better and more engaging, I highly recommend seeing those on YouTube or something.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #1352
newfan
Mad Scientist

I couldn't take to the look and effects of Robocop, sounds, movement etc. in Prime Directives... it's at the bottom of my DVD box. Not sure what the training was for this one but Weller trained with a mime artist to get the movement right.

Anyway, if anyone wants to carry on the topic (though it looks like we are done?) shall we have a 'Robocop general discussion' thread?
Well I might as well...at the risk of having 0 replies

Last edited by newfan; 01-18-2018 at 01:13 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #1353
Sumac
Banned

I moved this post to the thread about RoboCop.

Last edited by Sumac; 01-18-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #1354
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

I mean, we can always go back to Star Wars, I guess, though do we really want to go back to constant fights over it?

I guess it's been derailed long enough, though.

Sumac, I'll reply to you in the new thread.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #1355
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Back to SW, so... I'm curious if the old Jedi books will have any bearing to ep9
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #1356
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I can't imagine they won't?
I mean, they went out of their way to a) introduce them, b) make us thing they were destroyed, to c) show us that they weren't.

What happens with the Jedi Teachings now, is one of the things I'm most curious about regarding the next movie.

That and how they're going to handle Leia.
(perhaps she'll die of a broken heart now that Luke is gone...)
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #1357
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

I'm expecting a bit of a time skip. They need time to pass for the rebellion to regroup and recruit anyway. Perfect excuse to have a "she passed away recently" thing. Not ideal or great, but there aren't a lot of options at this point anyway.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #1358
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I can't imagine they won't?
I mean, they went out of their way to a) introduce them, b) make us thing they were destroyed, to c) show us that they weren't.

What happens with the Jedi Teachings now, is one of the things I'm most curious about regarding the next movie.

That and how they're going to handle Leia.
(perhaps she'll die of a broken heart now that Luke is gone...)
Maybe they Paul Walker her, without CGI...

"Hey, guys, so Leia retired... I think she's on that Gamorrean spa planet? Yeah, she's not taking our calls anymore."
Old 01-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #1359
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Back to SW, so... I'm curious if the old Jedi books will have any bearing to ep9
I am almost 200% certain the "blink and you'll miss it" glimpse of the books on the Falcon was a reshoot thing for IX. Not in a sense of there actually being a script or even a story in place for IX that VIII needed to adhere to, but someone (probably Kennedy) almost undoubtedly went at some point... "Wait... dammit, Rian, you have to leave whoever's doing IX SOMETHING to follow up on/recreate more Jedi from."

There's no way that was always the plan. It retroactively robs any weight from Luke trying to burn the temple with the books in it and Yoda doing it anyway (makes Yoda's dialogue meaningless, too).
Old 01-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #1360
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I'd favor opening Episode IX with Leia's funeral/memorial service. It would be a nice way to honor the character and Carrie Fisher, and provide an immediate sense of gravitas to the film.

A time skip makes some sense too. I don't know how long a gap there was supposed to be between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, but RotJ's opening just feels like a lot more time has transpired between the two movies than between New Hope and Empire. Luke has obviously made rapid progress in his Jedi training with Yoda and the two clearly have more of a bond at the latter's deathbed than was apparent in a movie that would take place soon after Empire.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw