The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Okay, Now its time to give my full thoughts on these episodes *cracks knuckles*. This is gonna be long....::

1. Firstly, I'd always wanna start with the positives. These episodes had alot going for them, but I think the best thing about it by far was the story. Unlike Turtles Forever and TransDimensional Turtles, the story of this crossover wasn't just fanservice but had an actual arc that changed some of the characters for the rest of the series (Bebop and Rocksteady are no longer villains by the end) so it didn't just feel like filler and/or fanfiction, something which was a nitpick I had with the other crossovers despite how much I love them. This was Bebop and Rocksteady's story, with the turtles on the side which is a nice change from the previous crossover because it avoids repeating the same plot again and gives us something new.

2. The interaction between the characters was a really nice touch. I was especially surprised by how well Kevin Micheal Richardson captured the spirit and personality of 80's Shredder. I think he is by far the best Shredder alternate, having an impression that sounds somewhat like a mix of Townsend Coleman and Jim Cummings. He interacted with Krang alot throughout the episode and I thought that was awesome, seeing them both interact in a way that was just like the 80s cartoon despite James Avery unfortunately not being here. I lost count of how many moments I laughed out loud at Shredder and Krang's antics.

3. The 80s Turtles personalities were pretty accurate as well, and even though they might've not been used to the Nick Universes' fighting style at first, the special doesn't go into the territory of making them idiots and morons like Turtles Forever did. The entire point was that they aren't bad and inherently flawed per se, but their fighting style and environment was very different to what is typical in the Nick universe, and yet despite that, they fully adapted half-way into the episode and were just as effective as their Nick counterparts because they were sincere and shared the common desire to do good as all versions of the Ninja Turtles have. It is especially well rounded considering 80s Shredder and Krang had the physical advantage (the indestructible technodrome destroying the city, a giant android body, rock soldiers etc.), yet the heroes managed to save the day since the 80s turtles were able to learn the fighting skills required due to their sincerity/goodness and Bebop and Rocksteady were able to put their own skills to good use due to them becoming good and sincere. 2k12 Mikey realizes this the most out of the turtles, as he knows the 80s turtles have potential even in the 2k12 universe due to their hearts being in the right place, but all the turtles come around to this realization of common brotherhood and adaptability at the end.

4. All the little extras were also really good. The references were a nice touch, such as the Chrome Dome shampoo, Leonardo references the end of Michelangalo's birthday, my favourite bo Joke and so much more. 80s Bebop and Rocksteady were awesome and a joy despite only appearing a little bit. Likewise, the 2D animation was very impresive, right down to the 4:3 aspect ratio and is the closest to the original cartoon that a FW crossover has ever been. The Foot soldiers were a great addition and I'm surprised how competent they were made, I mean, the guys were holding their own against the Earth Protection Force and even gave the 80s/2k12 turtles combined trouble. Little moments like the 80s Turtles meeting Chompy, Ice Cream Kitty all really helped the hour long special not just be a plot but also a plot with alot of character moments. Speaking of character moments, I'm repeating myself but I honestly think Bebop and Rocksteady had it the best in this episode. From being lost and without a purpose, to enjoying their new job as supervillains, to changing sides, I'm surprised a crossover of all episodes has this much character development.

In terms of negatives, I don't think there was anything wrong with the episodes that needed to be changed but we always wish for more no matter how good something is. Me personally, I would've liked more 2D animation, 80s Bebop and Rocksteady having more screentime, Mona Lisa appearing in the Mutanimals and having a funny joke with 80s Raph, Classic Rock soldiers appearing instead of the 2k12 ones and a teensy bit more music remixed from the 80s series but I'm just nitpicking at this point. The episode as it was, was great and I'm sure to be analyzing it for a long time, being the hardcore FW fanboy that I am.

10/10, no regrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Rocksteady destroys the technorome with one misssle launcher, that's far less strong?
I didn't see it get destroyed, just damaged. I assume it was sent to Dimension X later without the villains and then season 8 of the Original Toon began, with the technodrome stuck in a black hole. The red sky could've been due to dimensional disturbances from the crossovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I think that the Nick Multiverse FW turtles aren't really the ones from that show but rather a pastiche of the idea of the Fred Wolf turtles and it's tie-ins.
Heh, Looks like you have the opposite view from me. I see the FW turtles in these Nick crossovers as the actual ones while the ones from TF are the pastiche which I assume you think are the real ones.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 09-13-2017 at 08:04 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote