The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 06-28-2020, 01:15 AM   #1
Bluelightsaber
Thug

Is anyone else completely turned off by Neca at this point?

I was SO excited about all their lines, now I?m just not feeling it at all. I love TMNT but I can?t shop at Walmart or hunt. The online Casey/Raph thing was BS. So now I have foot soldiers and Shredder but no turtles or other characters. It?s kind of weird. I really do want Super Shredder though.

Then there is the cartoon line. Some pieces are fantastic and others are terrible like April. Shredder, in what should be his most iconic costume, was a repaint of an old figure. Krang is barely pink. Ugh.
Bluelightsaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:13 AM   #2
JonesyKitty
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelightsaber View Post
I was SO excited about all their lines, now I?m just not feeling it at all. I love TMNT but I can?t shop at Walmart or hunt. The online Casey/Raph thing was BS. So now I have foot soldiers and Shredder but no turtles or other characters. It?s kind of weird. I really do want Super Shredder though.

Then there is the cartoon line. Some pieces are fantastic and others are terrible like April. Shredder, in what should be his most iconic costume, was a repaint of an old figure. Krang is barely pink. Ugh.
I feel this to an extent. I have been very lucky and got all the SDCC sets from Neca's site when they released them. But then Bebop and Rocksteady came out. I searched for months in store. My girlfriend works by a Target and I would ride into work with her and check twice a week and have her check any days she worked that I wasn't able to. We would go to multiple targets each week and I watched as people from our area listed them on ebay, was told by employees that they didn't carry the line even though they clearly had tags for them or had other sets.

Finally I gave up and paid scalper's price and ordered a set from ebay. When they came it wasn't excitement that I finally had them, it was relief that I was done searching. Then Bebop's foot popped off, and I noticed his leg is messed up. I feel like if I try to pose them they'll break. I had to buy figure stands because literally all the Neca figures except the mirage turtles fall over. My Mirage foot and Shredder's legs are all loose and flop when you move them. I noticed the eyes on my toon turtles look off, and really the only two figures I completely love are the movie and mirage Shredder's. The more time I spend looking at my display the more problems I find with them.

I love the neca line as a concept and each time something new is announced I get all gung-ho excited. But after all the searching for the new guys, missing the Casey 2pack the other day and seeing the ebay prices already skyrocketing, and the way toon April's head looks (which I really wanted when they first showed her off), I'm slowly losing interest. I want to collect them but its such a pain in the ass that it's not fun anymore and I dread all the new releases coming out this month that I know I will once again start dragging my girlfriend and our son around searching for and annoying them by not shutting up about until I end up getting pissy and resorting to ebay last minute.
JonesyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:44 AM   #3
SS Kakarot
Mad Scientist

It's great that NECA is releasing so much cool TMNT stuff, however I have often been very disappointed with the quality of the end products. Stiff joints, loose joints, paint issues, even upside-down packaged figures...

The NECA stuff has thankfully become easier to purchase/pre-order for international fans, that's why I still collect them. If it was still US only (as it was when it started with the first SDCC sets and the 1/4 Movie Turtles) I would not be collecting NECA toys anymore.
SS Kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

I've been able to get what I've wanted during online drops. Yes it's difficult and you need to be quick, but not impossible. Much easier than many POP drops. I only have the movie turtles and I think they are the best figures ever produced. I'd pay the eBay prices if I had to as they look that good!
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #5
tmntfan4ever
Foot Soldier

I am just not as enthusiastic as I was before as when the lines first came out. I usually try to get them the first go round, but if I dont then I just go to other sites like Zavvi to get them. I'm not goin store to store looking for them.If I go out shopping & I'm by a Walmart & Target I will go in to see if they are available but I'm not goin to stress myself out. It is what it is
Old 06-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
LeoRaDoMic
Hench Mutant

When Neca presented the 1/4 1990 figures my world stood still. It was really breathtaking and I had to get those, no matter how. In the end I bought many of them and sold them in my country to justify the costs, supply them for fans over here and make a nice profit.

However since Neca is making 7" versions I feel like they let the 1/4 line and fans down. I'm waiting for years on 1/4 Splinter and yes I know he is announced unofficially, but the wait shouldn't be that long. There was a time I swapped my 1/4 versions for the 7" versions but eventually I sold the 7" and bought back the 1/4 figures. So much more expression, imposing eyecatching and really the holygrail of my collection. I really don't care about the 7" versions and the only 1990 figure I really need is Splinter. I don't need April, Casey, Tatsu etc. especially not in 1/4 scale.

I like the toon turtles in 7" but let's face it April is a big dissapointment. This is the first figure in the line that is not good. I'm really hoping for a second release. However, the scale in the line is also bad. Shredder is taller than Leatherhead and Bebop & Rocksteady are taller then Shredder. Too bad but acceptable for me, I actually like Bebop & Rocksteady big. And not everything is great about the turtles, I still don't like the 2 color difference and the eyes are painted very bad on very much copies (luckily mine are perfect as I asked eBay seller to watch out for this) but for the price I think this shouldn't be necessary.

Overall I don't really like how Neca is treating us like kids. It takes them forever to release figures and I'm sick of their teasing. Especially April who looked good first and then horrible. They also go from left to right, first they say it's impossible to release TMNT outside conventions due licensing issues and later they suddenly can produce them and sell them anytime in the year at Wallmart and Gamestop. They bring out the same turtles but in neon colors, so people who got the SDCC set are basically screwed.

Besides that I'm really hating the fact they're kind of force you to buy figures you don't like/need to get paticular ones. Referring to April/Foot and Casey/Foot 2-packs. It would be nice if they packed April and Casey together and invest their time, money and energy in other things than those stupid Foot Soldiers. I have 2 already 1 too much and for displaying I don't like the damaged parts, it's only nice for photo guru's and building a fightscene imo. I think they would also sell more copies of April and Casey is they packed them together...
I will buy April (for completing the core collection) and Casey but seperately from scalpers for a much higher price. I can't sell the Foot good. Screwed again....

At first it seemed they really wanted to serve the TMNT collectors as good as possible and the put very much love in the products. But along the way it seems profit is the most important thing for them.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:05 AM   #7
mikey0
Mad Scientist

I never saw what was so great about the Target 2-packs. They look nothing like the Fred Wolf cartoon characters.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
LeoRaDoMic
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
I never saw what was so great about the Target 2-packs. They look nothing like the Fred Wolf cartoon characters.
Bullsh*t. The Playmates figures look nothing like the cartoon characters. They Neca ones are still the best toon figures ever made, but not perfect. Leatherhead and Slash in particular are looking if they jumped out of the screen. Leatherhead is a bit short but ok...

The only thing that stupid Playmates did right is releasing much things in a relatively short time. Even with the shortcomings all the Neca toys are superior to the Playmates crap.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:57 AM   #9
mikey0
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRaDoMic View Post
Bullsh*t. The Playmates figures look nothing like the cartoon characters. They Neca ones are still the best toon figures ever made, but not perfect. Leatherhead and Slash in particular are looking if they jumped out of the screen. Leatherhead is a bit short but ok...

The only thing that stupid Playmates did right is releasing much things in a relatively short time. Even with the shortcomings all the Neca toys are superior to the Playmates crap.
The Playmates figures were not supposed to resemble the Fred Wolf characters. It was the 80s. The He-Man action figure by Mattel had his hair in a different style from the Filmation cartoon He-Man. Skeletor looked a little less like an 80s toy character in the Filmation cartoon, also. Plus, we have the original Playmates toy line to thank for the Super7 TMNT Ultimates. Did you see that Metalhead? I wish all highly poseable 21st century adult collector action figures looked that good.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #10
vicsavage
Thug

I still really like the figures but goddamn do I wish there were an easier way to obtain these things.
vicsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #11
Adcatalano
Thug

Nope. People are being a bunch of babies.
Adcatalano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #12
Otter
Hench Mutant

Turned off NECA? Nope! I'm all in for the 1990 film line. It's the only thing I've bought "one to keep boxed one to open" since the 90s!
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #13
Otter
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrumh2o View Post
I only have the movie turtles and I think they are the best figures ever produced. I'd pay the eBay prices if I had to as they look that good!
I'm the same. I collect quite a few things, but this Henson line is a dteam come true. I would pay secondary market prices without question if I had to. I'm glad I'm not in that position, but I am really glad Randy and the crew at NECA have worked so hard to make this line happen.

That said I have no interest in the toon or arcade stuff (but am keen to see if they start ramping up Mirage product).
Old 06-28-2020, 06:00 PM   #14
mikey0
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I'm the same. I collect quite a few things, but this Henson line is a dteam come true. I would pay secondary market prices without question if I had to. I'm glad I'm not in that position, but I am really glad Randy and the crew at NECA have worked so hard to make this line happen.

That said I have no interest in the toon or arcade stuff (but am keen to see if they start ramping up Mirage product).
Who can find the “toon” stuff (minus maybe the Shredder and Krang 2-pack)?
Old 06-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #15
Otter
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Who can find the ?toon? stuff (minus maybe the Shredder and Krang 2-pack)?
Not hard to get where I am, but I undrrstand it's frustrating for people in the States.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #16
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Who can find the ?toon? stuff (minus maybe the Shredder and Krang 2-pack)?
I've found every release so far at Target on the shelves. And although this is true I had to put some legwork in to do it. The only packs I left on the shelf were the recolored Turtles.

And so with that said, my only turnoff is that NECA's distribution was a bit wider and less about store exclusives and then the fact that almost all action figures nowadays are "boutique" items in terms of pricing.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #17
Tmnt3535
Mouser

I understand the frustration of those that cannot find neca two packs in store. Where I am I've always been able to find them. I guess I may be one of the only tmnt fans in my area. But they have been available to me, whether target or gamestop. Havent checked yet at my local Walmart, but when I find them I will buy them. And get this, the ones I sell will be at the ebay going price. Its not my fault everyone cant find them. If your not happy with paying ebay prices then shut up and keep hunting.
Tmnt3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:30 PM   #18
Otter
Hench Mutant

If you buy more than you need it is your fault that people can't find them.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #19
AquaParade
Big Boss

I like what they're doing overall but I'd own more of their figures if they were accessible, sure.
AquaParade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #20
Tmnt3535
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
If you buy more than you need it is your fault that people can't find them.
If I buy something in kansas and sell it to someone in Kentucky that's not my fault. That's capitalism baby...call me a scalper all you want no one is forcing you to buy off ebay.
Tmnt3535 is offline   Reply With Quote