The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #61
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Just finished the second season. Another 10/10.

Bring on season 3!!!
Is s2 a little more umm..voltron? In the first season you rarely saw Voltron and tons classic Voltron tropes were ignored including the main theme and tons of references to the Voltron universe they could've done. That was my main problem it almost felt ashamed of the source material.

it's going to be a while before I get to Voltron, but I guess it's only 13 episodes so maybe I can squeeze it in somehow.

Last edited by sdp; 01-21-2017 at 06:42 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:46 PM   #62
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Is s2 a little more umm..voltron? In the first season you rarely saw Voltron and tons classic Voltron tropes were ignored including the main theme and tons of references to the Voltron universe they could've done.
If by " a little more Voltron" you mean do they form the robot every episode, then no. Which is fine because it makes whenever it shows up all the more epic.

As for specific references to the original you're asking the wrong guy as I'm only somewhat familiar with the Beast King GoLion anime, not the edited Americanized version that was the original Voltron.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #63
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
If by " a little more Voltron" you mean do they form the robot every episode, then no. Which is fine because it makes whenever it shows up all the more epic.

As for specific references to the original you're asking the wrong guy as I'm only somewhat familiar with the Beast King GoLion anime, not the edited Americanized version that was the original Voltron.
The show is called Voltron though, it doesn't need to appear in every episode but it barely even appeared and it's a show about a giant robot. The original theme never appeared and what made it worst is the music was super generic so you can't even say they replaced it with something better. The original show built a universe and this new show kind of went with their own thing which seems like a waste counting they had tons of stuff to work with that has been established in the mythos and just ignored for a blander version. I"m being negative but that's only because it disappointed me, it's fine but everyone called it the best thing ever and it wasn't and it wasn't Voltron.

Voltron isn't just an edited version of GoLion it really became its own thing and arguably much more interesting take than GoLion ever was. Sure the censorship hurts Voltron as GoLion was able to be a little more dramatic at points but then WEP ordered their own season in which many of the "edits" now became canon as we saw the soldiers being built as robots, etc. We saw the story continue with Vehicle Voltron and then having a team up with lion voltron. Not to mention it got two sequel series (Next Dimentsion & Force). So yeah more than a dub Voltron should be compared to Power Rangers and Samurai Pizza Cats were it took the source material from elsewhere but did its own thing entirely with it independent of what it was supposed to be.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #64
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
The show is called Voltron though, it doesn't need to appear in every episode but it barely even appeared and it's a show about a giant robot. The original theme never appeared and what made it worst is the music was super generic so you can't even say they replaced it with something better. The original show built a universe and this new show kind of went with their own thing which seems like a waste counting they had tons of stuff to work with that has been established in the mythos and just ignored for a blander version. I"m being negative but that's only because it disappointed me, it's fine but everyone called it the best thing ever and it wasn't and it wasn't Voltron.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #65
ColinStein
Foot Soldier

Can anyone talk to me about season 2 yet?! I just finished it and want to discuss it!
Old 01-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #66
sdp
-

I just finished s2 and it still hasn't won me over. Like I've mentioned before I really want to love this show, the animation is great, I love the character designs and the overall look of the revival. The story is so dull and generic, the twists it tries are not that interesting to me, the music lacks any emotion and I actually think the music is the worst part of the show as good music could've added a lot more to the generic drama, you'd think if they weren't going to reuse any oft he old music from past shows including the iconic theme was because they had a great composer with a new take but man is it bland . SO yeah the worst part is many of the thing it fails in could've been taken from previous Voltron shows, the plot of the old shows had potential even if not fully realized because cartoons had worse writing in the past and they could've fleshed those out and made a very compelling show, having an entirely new take would've been fine I don't have anything against trying to be original but it just hasn't gotten me interested at all and we're two seasons in now. I do think the lions and Voltron were better used this season but I still feel the producers of the show are ashamed of Voltron and are trying to do their own thing with the Voltron icense as an excuse to get funding.

I hope it gets renewed and the toys sell though as I'd love to see more animated things from Netflix like Voltron and I'll probably watch a season 3 which do we even know if it's been greenlit? I actually think the first 26 episodes were green lit and separated as two seasons to make the wait shorter ~6 months instead of a year which is nice actually. I probably come off as a huge Voltron fanboy/purists re-reading my posts but that couldn't be further from the truth, I've only watched a handful of Voltron but have never seen all the previous shows completely and it really wasn't part of my childhood outside of a few re-runs here and there. The Prince Lotor ending was a nice ending, I feel he should've been in the first two seasons instead of "saving him" for a season teaser but it was still nice.

Last edited by sdp; 01-29-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #67
sdp
-

No one has been watching the new season? I just finished it since it's only 7 episodes unlike the 13 episode S1 and 2. But apparently S4 is confirmed and airing in October which is only 2 months away so it's almost as if they just decided to split this season, I'm guessing the episodes in October will either be 6 or 7 again.

I'm going to sound like Cybercubed but with this season means that it already has more episodes than the two previous failed revivals V Third Dimension and V Force. Counting it seems to be a successful show, or at least at launch it was then maybe we can get past 52 episodes that the original show consisted of. getting to 72 will be tougher which is the extra 20 episodes of Lion Voltron made later but possible. Now getting to an episode count of the original Defender of the universe that includes the vehicle voltron episodes isn't likely possible but it'd be cool, WEP does own vehicle voltron so it could at least appear. Anyone know how the playmates toys are selling?

Anyway, I've been very critical of the show but this season was really enjoyable to me, I liked that it's trying to pay more homage to Voltron while before I felt like writers were doing their own show and just using Voltron to do it. We still don't see Voltron much but that was fine and we still don't have the original theme but whatever. I still think we'll get the theme for the series finale.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #68
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I tried with this show I watched all of Season 1 and Some of Season 2 than I just lost interest. its more MEHtron than Voltron for me
Old 08-07-2017, 09:50 PM   #69
sdp
-

It starts off really solid but it is "mehtron" in about 3 episodes of the 7.

Apparently netflix is comitted to a 78 episode show and I was right, this season was split in two so the next 6 episodes of "season 4" which were originally Season 3's. I like it like this better since it makes the wait easier.

I still feel like the lore of the original would've made a better show, the original Voltron was filled with plot holes and inconsistencies mostly because of its time and they just didn't care but it was possible to finally fix that here but we didn't get that. It mostly ignores many important aspects and cool aspects of classic Voltron. I want to love Legendary defender more since I love the art style but it gives us a lot of Voltron easter eggs while ignoring the heart. I did like this season more and will likely watch the entire run.

Wish list for future seasons before the 78 episode run finishes:
Vehicle Voltron episode
Voltrex
Stealth Voltron
Classic Theme
Sven to join the "real" universe
Robotic Prince Lothor

Last edited by sdp; 08-07-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:30 AM   #70
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

I enjoyed the new episodes just fine. Show continues to be good. I'm not like, super in love with the pilot reshuffle but I get why they did it and I'm willing to get past it. I preferred the Princess as a starship captain but whatever.

Lotor is
Spoiler:
obviously going to end up with his own "evil voltron", the ship already looks like it / part of it and he has his own set of 4 teammates to pilot it too.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #71
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Is this show ever going to be on DVD/Blu ray?
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #72
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It wasn't as I expected it to be.

The season finale was the best episode for sure, with twists that were a little obvious, but made speculations make sense.

Lotor's Lady Team was awesome, and the gag with "Sven" in the alternate universe was great.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #73
sdp
-

Well the second part of Season 3 is on Netflix or Season 4 as they call it which is only 6 episodes and it's not as good as the first half of Season 3 or I guess now all of season 3..that's confusing.

Some of the decisions they're making are so odd, I haven't kept up with any of the drama of this show but I think I remember reading that the fandom is a bit toxic? And they've bullied the creators to changing the story to fit what they want? ugh.

But yeah any of the progress we had seen is kind of gone and back to status quo when it comes to the characters, I'm guessing Tumblr like folk complained about Shiro leaving the team and also shippers.

So yeah overall the new episodes were boring for the most part, I liked that we've gotten more "voltron" more frequently because of the split seasons but it's also a problem for such a serialized show since I already forgot what happened hehe.

My broken record section of my thoguhts...I want to love the show, the animation, character designs, are all top notch and we have character development, ongoing arcs and a serious tone. But when they said they wanted to write the "Voltron show they remembered and not the Voltron show they watched", they're not doing that very well. They're writing the a show they want to write using the Voltron license and not the Voltron they watched.

Quote:
Wish list for future seasons before the 78 episode run finishes:
Vehicle Voltron episode
Voltrex
Stealth Voltron
Classic Theme
Sven to join the "real" universe
Robotic Prince Lothor
I still want these, I'll add two more:
Blonde Princess Allura from another universe
The new recruits from V Force making an appearance
Old 11-03-2017, 12:45 AM   #74
M.O.D.O.K.
Thug

Quote:
Some of the decisions they're making are so odd, I haven't kept up with any of the drama of this show but I think I remember reading that the fandom is a bit toxic? And they've bullied the creators to changing the story to fit what they want? ugh.

But yeah any of the progress we had seen is kind of gone and back to status quo when it comes to the characters, I'm guessing Tumblr like folk complained about Shiro leaving the team and also shippers.
It was actually due to the higher-ups at Dreamworks. They want to push out toys, and they can't do that if one of the main characters is gone. So, they had to bring back Shiro much sooner than they wanted.
M.O.D.O.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:36 AM   #75
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Shows that don't produce toy sales don't remain shows for long.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #76
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Jackie Chan Adventures had a failed toyline yet ran for five years.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #77
M.O.D.O.K.
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
It's weird, since the show already have a 78 episode order that's being worked on, no matter what. Why get pushy about stuff like that if the order is already guaranteed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Jackie Chan Adventures had a failed toyline yet ran for five years.
I believe that was the case with Avatar: The Last Airbender as well. If only that was more common.
M.O.D.O.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:16 AM   #78
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

The animation industry is vastly different today than it was when either of those shows were producing new content.

The powers-that-be cut episodes from Avatar's sequel, The Legend of Korra.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #79
CyberCubed
Overlord

Young Justice was flat out canceled by CN due to the failed toyline.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:15 PM   #80
sdp
-

I was excited to discuss some voltron only to find toy sales talk

I will say that Voltron is definitely an experiment of sorts and something that hasn't been done, it's the first time we see Netflix commit not to a season but in this case 78 episodes.

It's the first time a digital release only show has a toyline, I don't understand Plastron's post, is the toyline bombing?

The episodes are not cheap to make and they're investing to see if kids prefer this style.

I know it has what appears to be a pretty active fandom and also one of the most Toxic ones, think Rick & Morty-tier.

So yeah Voltron is definitely something else, as you can see my posts in this thread I have mixed opinions on it but I can't deny that its high quality even if it's not exactly Voltron.

Netflix also experimented in with Kong King of the Apes which I reviewed, that one by having an interactive game Within the season which I would've liked as a kid.

We also know that they use their data to see what kids are watching, the new Magic School Bus rides again show (that I also reviewed) was chosen specifically because of kids watching the original a lot.

So yeah, Netflix is really trying hard to figure out what kids want, they're investing a lot of money as they see them as essential for their business, and they're likely afraid now that Disney is going to have their own streaming service. I hope the Voltron model is successful since it's the best out of the 3 I mentioned here.