The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Custom Toys/Collectibles

Notices

Old 01-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #161
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Photos of Heymilt's gorgeous paintwork...deleted from Flickr.

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Monte Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #162
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Cross-posted from the NECA Donatello thread...

It's been too cold and icy around here to take Donatello out to the alley for another proper shoot, so I've been playing around with more silly props and accessories for him. (I abandoned my ambitious plans for a giant custom sewer for my Playmates Turtles, and now I'm tempted to create one for this figure that dwarfs all the Playmates figures. I'm a genius).

Today's devastating triumph of creativity and the human spirit:

I bought this Lone Ranger lunchbox ornament a couple years ago for some gag portraits of NECA's quarter-scale Lone Ranger figure. It's just been sitting here ever since, and so I grabbed it recently and placed it on a shelf next to that kitbashed Turtle Comm I recently shared, figuring Donatello might keep an old lunchbox around; why not?

Then I decided to put some goodies in it.

The brown paper that's all beat to hell is gnomish text from the Artemis Fowl novel.

Here's a better look at the cassette. Or "tape", as it would have been called back in the day.

The cover is the business card of a Boise artist, toy creator and tattoo artist named Jay O'Leary. The tape itself is actually a microcassette on which I recorded my interview with Warren Ellis during his October Revolution Tour in 2000.

I'm not going to lie; I think I've changed some lives today, and we've all learned a lot about ourselves.

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:16 PM   #163
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

I was mostly kidding about making a sewer for NECA's quarter-scale Donatello. But now I honestly think I'm going to do it. Today, I bought some props and things. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I'm kitbashing a movie-aesthetic Cheapskate for Donatello.

Here's the original vintage Cheapskate:

...and today I hit the jackpot! I was thinking of buying a mini-fan and trying to find some sort of small engine, when what should I find at the thrift shop for two bucks?

An engine and fan in one! I am far more excited about this silliness than I should be.

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #164
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Cheapskate by Monte Williams, on Flickr

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #165
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Tonight at the thrift shop I spent $10 I really didn't want to spend, but I like to think it's worth it:

[

It's called the Totes Tabletop Pool Table. There's one available for $26 shipped on eBay right now.

The light bulb is from a very old vanity I bought at the same thrift shop a few days ago for $3; I took it apart to get to its four miniature lightbulbs. I will either use them for lighting my sewer lair that I am increasingly certain I am going to make, or attach them to some wacky device that'll serve as one of Don's inventions.

Last edited by Monte Williams; 02-09-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #166
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Deleted from Flickr.

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #167
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Deleted from Flickr.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #168
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Context:

Admittedly, they have the wrong number of fingers for a ninja turtle, but if nothing else they should look cool as additional props on a shelf in the lair.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #169
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #170
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Things have slowed down in this old thread in recent months. I'm tempted to start a new thread for just my NECA quarter-scale photos and custom accessory ideas and whatnot, but A. hardly anyone responded to the NECA quarter-scale thread I already started, and that one is designed to invite everyone to participate, which leads me to assume that B. maybe this thread is dying 'cause people are just sick of my ****, ha ha ha.

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #171
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Things have slowed down in this old thread in recent months. I'm tempted to start a new thread for just my NECA quarter-scale photos and custom accessory ideas and whatnot, but A. hardly anyone responded to the NECA quarter-scale thread I already started, and that one is designed to invite everyone to participate, which leads me to assume that B. maybe this thread is dying 'cause people are just sick of my ****, ha ha ha.
It's this whole subforum that has slowed down for some reason. I posted my first thread showing off my customs with alot of views but only 3 comments and the sad part is I had to fish for those .
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #172
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntfannumerouno View Post
It's this whole subforum that has slowed down for some reason. I posted my first thread showing off my customs with alot of views but only 3 comments and the sad part is I had to fish for those .
I'm definitely part of the problem; I've admired your thread at least twice this week, and yet I'm pretty sure I haven't commented. (I'll fix that once I'm done here).

This thread and my similar but even more self-indulgent thread at the HISS Tank forum have both slowed down, which I suppose is natural once a thread gets this big; it probably doesn't help that I use the same handful of locales and backdrops over and over... and I photographed Heymilt's repaint of Nick Donatello billions of times. Still, it was humbling to look back through the past few pages and realize that only one person had commented since the start of September and I'd just continued posting, oblivious, ha ha ha.

The reason I don't just let it die? I still love forums; I prefer them to Facebook and the like by a wide margin. Not sure why, there's just something about the dialogue in format form that satisfies me. There's also at least an illusion of permanence, whereas it's a pain to find something I shared on Facebook last week, let alone three years ago.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #173
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Williams View Post
I'm definitely part of the problem; I've admired your thread at least twice this week, and yet I'm pretty sure I haven't commented. (I'll fix that once I'm done here).

This thread and my similar but even more self-indulgent thread at the HISS Tank forum have both slowed down, which I suppose is natural once a thread gets this big; it probably doesn't help that I use the same handful of locales and backdrops over and over... and I photographed Heymilt's repaint of Nick Donatello billions of times. Still, it was humbling to look back through the past few pages and realize that only one person had commented since the start of September and I'd just continued posting, oblivious, ha ha ha.

The reason I don't just let it die? I still love forums; I prefer them to Facebook and the like by a wide margin. Not sure why, there's just something about the dialogue in format form that satisfies me. There's also at least an illusion of permanence, whereas it's a pain to find something I shared on Facebook last week, let alone three years ago.

Well with Facebook you have all these different groups and such for things like this and I guess more people prefer that. Myself however I prefer forums so I'm with you on that.
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:35 PM   #174
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntfannumerouno View Post
Well with Facebook you have all these different groups and such for things like this and I guess more people prefer that. Myself however I prefer forums so I'm with you on that.
The diversity of choices on Facebook is great in theory, but it just means there are several TMNT groups (for example) all competing, and people are posting their same stuff in every group; I dig the more centralized approach of the 'Drome.

I also like being able to share photos in this format, like a blog post or magazine article, with text in-between the images rather than descriptions you can only read by clicking on a given image.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:35 PM   #175
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Pretty great customs

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #176
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Great work!!!!!

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #177
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

I'm don't even think I update things anymore, especially since I'm the only one posting under my threads. Haha. It's all kosher though, I mostly do stuff for myself not others.
Huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #178
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

The After-Hours Research and the shots of Donnie tightening his bandana are my current fave images. Kudos.

I also liked the pool table shot too.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #179
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Pretty great customs
Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
Great work!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
The After-Hours Research and the shots of Donnie tightening his bandana are my current fave images. Kudos.

I also liked the pool table shot too.

Thanks, folks! I was just thinking aloud; I hadn't intended to grade-grub for comments, ha ha ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzah View Post
I'm don't even think I update things anymore, especially since I'm the only one posting under my threads. Haha. It's all kosher though, I mostly do stuff for myself not others.
I love your stuff, but since I get to see it on Flickr, I probably haven't paid as much attention to the thread.

I increasingly do this for myself as well. Finding a balance between doing it for myself and wanting recognition can be tricky.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:30 PM   #180
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzah View Post
I'm don't even think I update things anymore, especially since I'm the only one posting under my threads. Haha.
I just went back through your customs thread, and actually, there have been many times people commented and you didn't respond!

Meanwhile, I have $100 a month to spend on the hobby, and I spent the entirety of this month's allotment on a damn ice cream truck for dolls.

I am far, far more excited about this thing than I should be.

(Figuarts TMNT photos deleted from Flickr.)

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 02:04 PM.