The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 12-11-2004, 01:49 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Ai's Official Tech Support Thread

Got a computer problem? Post your problem here and I'll do my best to answer it for you. Also, anyone who feels they know the answer can feel free to jump in.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

How do you fix a soundcard that constantly skips and pauses everytime you play back an Mp3? This has been going on with Winamp for like a year now.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:53 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Well, there could be a few things wrong with it.

1.) You need to install the latest drivers.
2.) Your speakers are busted (assuming it happens with every mp3 playback software).
3.) Your sound card is starting to go. Replace it.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:10 PM   #4
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai Takahashi
Well, there could be a few things wrong with it.

1.) You need to install the latest drivers.
2.) Your speakers are busted (assuming it happens with every mp3 playback software).
3.) Your sound card is starting to go. Replace it.
I have the lastest drivers, the speakers work with everything else, so I guess it's the sound blaster. Damn creative labs.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Yeah, my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card is starting to go, unless it's my speakers. I'll probably end up replacing both at some point.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:24 PM   #6
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

Hey, Ai... How do you convert wave files to mp3 files? My brother wants to know. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:27 PM   #7
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

you use Nero. You start a new Audio Cd, copy them songs into the new ompliation and then rightclick on it (in the left window). Ther should be an option saying something like "Audio editor" or something alike. Click on that and then wait until it's fully loaded and all you have to do now is "Save as"
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:33 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Yep, he just about covered it. If you don't use Nero, or just plain don't want to...

You can download this, and it's pretty straight-forward.

Whichever one you prefer. I just feel like I need to respond to everyone's problem.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:30 PM   #9
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Okay Ai, here's a killer for ya...

My friend's having MASSIVE problems with her internet connection. The modem's working fine, her ISP's the same as mine, her computer says it's connected (MSN works), but her browser has problems connections to websites. It's not just one or two sites, but every single site she goes to after using a browser for 10-15 min.

Could it be a problem with her firewall?

I got her off of Internet Explorer on to Firefox thinking that might help her, but it hasn't. Any idea what's going on?
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:59 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Oh wow, I didn't even notice someone else had a problem. Okay, let me think about this...

So what you're saying is she can get to websites for a good 10-15 minutes, but after that, she has problems? Well, let's see here...

You could have her empty her temporary IE files. Even if she doesn't use IE anymore, it would be a good idea to do so.

Since she can go to sites for a good amount of time, it can't be a firewall problem, it seems like an internal computer problem. I've never encountered something like this, but from a nerd's intuition, it's probably something to do with that damn spyware that everyone keeps talking about. It seems like that's the number one enemy these days. So I would tell her to run a few programs (Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, etc) and maybe run a virus scanner or some sort. You can find a free virus scanner if you search Google.

Try those out and let me know what's up.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:26 PM   #11
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

I have some problems. Phone thing is fixed, but now AOL is giving me hell, and frankly, I'm fed up with taking their sh*t. Can anyone recomend any good ISP's other than America Off Line? They cut off, they've blocked access to this board (and most others) several times causing me to have to go manually virus scan because they wanted me to use they're buddy chat crap, and they're software is the most bug ridden piece of garbage I've ever seen. Also, the damn "parental controls" occationally come on for no reason blocking access to stuff (such as any site with the word f*ck). Yes, there's a lot.

I need someone new that works with dial-up until I can get around to affording cable. Email services don't matter since all my email accounts are stored on outside POP3 servers anyway.

Any recomendations?
Old 01-10-2005, 07:29 PM   #12
Super Moderator

I don't really know any other national ISP's other than AOL. You should try calling some places and doing some research in your area for a good ISP. Most ISP's are generally good, I mean, don't expect much from dial-up, but it's good enough. I seriously recommend cable if you can eventually afford it. It's like a dream or something, and it provides me with my pleasure in life.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:33 PM   #13
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Yeah, it does, but I won't be able to afford that for a few months. Gotta save money for E3 and stuff. After that, yeah. Till then, I gotta have something.

*googles*

*edit* What are the advantages and disadvantages of DSL?
Old 01-10-2005, 09:15 PM   #14
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

forget cable man... I want that crazy 1GBPS connection they offer in Japan for the same price as our cable connection.

Anyway, you can get around AOL's software... just get connected, and open up Mozilla. Should connect. Thats what I always did, unless AOL fixed that.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #15
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Yeah, but I want something that I can just run the acess numbers through without AOL's software eating up the RAM. AOL can't do that.

We'll never get the 1GB stuff with all the competition over here. The Cable companies will block it somehow.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:01 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Actually....no, wait. Nah, we'll never get something that good here. The technology is known, and it's not hard to implement, but...no.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:30 AM   #17
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

It's pry a good thing. Too many nerds would have joygasms.

This isn't really a computer question, but it IS something you could help with!

I've decided I'm going to learn C/C++. I have experiance with BASIC, so I know a little about coding. I'm at a loss as to how I should get started though. I found a site (cprograming.com) that has tutorials and such, and that'll pry work well for a while. Any tips?

Last edited by Kid Icarus; 01-14-2005 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:28 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Whoa, you added a question here. Okay, let me hook you up.

So you want to become a member of the programming underworld, eh? Okay, then. Good call. Since you know a fair amount of BASIC, the programming structure for C/C++/C# are surprisingly similar. Some of the functions and procedures are the same, too. It's good you have some form of programming background, as this will majorly help.

What I suggest you start with is to find Visual Studio.NET. You can buy it for damn near $200, or you can pirate it. However you get it, make sure you try and secure that software. It has plenty of tutorials and help files that will get you out of a jam in case you can't get a program to run. It also has great tools that will point out mistakes in your programs.

After you secure yourself that software, I would suggest (not required, but it definitely helps) getting a book on it. These books tend to be expensive, since they are mostly college textbooks, but they really do help. They have sample programs in it and it usually comes with a CD to also help you. Remember, you don't have to get a book. If you're comfortable with the tutorials online, then that's fine. I'm sure Visual Studio.NET will help you plenty enough, anyway. It's just my suggestion.

Finally, just play around with it. Type up some simple programs that add numbers together and outputs the answer, parse some lines of data into different segments, concatenate data, simple stuff that will get you started. Once you feel comfortable with those simple tasks, you should try more structured programs. This will require procedures, the more structured way to program. I find this infinitely helpful, as if you mess up, you know where to find your mistake.

That's it. Good luck with the programming, buddy.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:08 PM   #19
Jamezer
Foot Soldier

here is a new problem for you to solve

i recently aquired an ibm thinkpad 600x, and i have 2 very annoying problems with it. the first, is that whenever i turn it on the first thing that comes up is an error, that makes me re-enter the date and time. after i do that i have to turn the computer off, and turn it back on. after that, it does fine. a friend of mine told me that it was probably the internal battery, that was dead, so im loosing my settings.
the second problem that i have is, that either my battery wont charge, or my computer thinks that it is dead, so all that i can do is use the power cord to power the computer. if anyone knows what the cause of either of these problems might be, i would appreciate your input.

Cartman: "My mom says that there's a lot of black people in Africa"
Jamezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:14 PM   #20
Super Moderator

I don't know much about Thinkpads, but from the clues you have given me, that's a faulty internal battery. I recommend getting that repaired or replaced in some fashion. That's probably also why you're losing your settings, because normally the settings are stored there, at least with something like a Thinkpad. So yeah, try getting that checked out.