The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 07-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #1
Groverman62
Foot Soldier

You know something this show did

I appreciated that the turtles were allowed to kill Shredder and not demonized for it.

The vast majority of fictional works are strictly against heroes killing villains and usually use the excuse of "it would them just as bad as them". And the villain may be briefly stopped but is free to come back anytime with new schemes. But not this show. Shredder was a crazed delusional monster who wanted to kill Splinter for things that are actually his own damn fault. And there is no low he won't stoop to just to accomplish this petty goal, including letting the entire Earth an everyone on it die. He needed to go

So yeah. I am glad that the turtles took down their worst enemy for good
Groverman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

For a kids show they got to have a pretty solid grey morality in general. Stole a train from the government and whatnot. I like it.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groverman62 View Post
I appreciated that the turtles were allowed to kill Shredder and not demonized for it.

The vast majority of fictional works are strictly against heroes killing villains and usually use the excuse of "it would them just as bad as them". And the villain may be briefly stopped but is free to come back anytime with new schemes. But not this show. Shredder was a crazed delusional monster who wanted to kill Splinter for things that are actually his own damn fault. And there is no low he won't stoop to just to accomplish this petty goal, including letting the entire Earth an everyone on it die. He needed to go

So yeah. I am glad that the turtles took down their worst enemy for good
I think it was easier to allow the Turtles kill Shredder since he was Super Shredder.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

Something it did... Something it did... Something it did...

... Oh! I know! It pushed how many times the same alley could be used before it made the world look small!
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #5
victory_angel
Foot Elite

They had the guts to add Splinter's death to the storyline and have that be a permanent thing. It's only in the comic books and fan works that Splinter passes on because of old age or other means.

I wouldn't call the other deaths fake outs, but more preparation for the inevitable.

The first time Splinter was killed off, the other Turtles and Company were forced to assume the worst since they needed to get out of the city and Leo was in a hybernative coma and needed to get somewhere he could recover. It was only months later that they learn Splinter is in fact still alive, just driven mad because of his injuries and the months of having no idea of where his sons were let alone if they were still alive.

Death two was an actual death, but the Turtles went back in time and retconed that from taking place. So if they have any memory of Splinter dying at all it is like a residual memory left over from the change in timeline.

Finally Death three, Splinter has that vision where he dies. He tells his sons what he saw but not full details because he doesn't want to worry them or make them dead set on preventing what was to happen. So the Turtles likely assume that the Fall in the undercity was the vision and that it didn't come to pass like it was supposed to. This lets the Turtles collective guard down as far as their teachers coming demise.

In the meantime Splinter is preparing them for the fact he will no longer be in their lives very soon, including passing them to Jonin Rank since he wouldn't have time to officially assess that they were truly ready to reach the final level.

And confirming Splinter is gone for good by having a moment where the Turtles and family are able to say good bye to him.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:06 PM   #6
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

I said it over a million of times but the problem I have with the turtles killing Sakai is that the show said numerous of times that revenge is bad yet in this situation its okay for the turtles to do it. Some people might say "well Sakai is far too gone and will attack anyone" and I'm like "how is that different from the previous seasons?". Keep in mind this is the same man who at the end of season 3 sacarficed his own planet just so he can kill Splinter, the first thing Splinter and the turtles should have done is finish the job because Sakai needs to be put down but no instead of that Splinter wags his fingers to Karai saying "Revenge is bad" and a couple of episodes later he gets killed by Shredder because despite being a ninja master he is horrible at checking his six.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:51 AM   #7
newfan
Mad Scientist

I heard that the drawings included blood when Shredder's head was cut off but Nick obviously would have not wanted that in the animation.

As for Splinter being killed 3 times, he didn't die at the end of Season 2, we saw him breathe after Karai rescued him from the water. I guess people consider it because the turtles think he is dead, or not sure anyway, so they have that grief until they find him.

Last edited by newfan; 07-19-2020 at 03:19 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote