The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 02-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I don't agree in the slightest. It's a great show but it is its own worst enemy. It wanted to be dark & edgy but still funny and in the process missed the mark on both accounts. I'd say the Nick series is more the definitive show as it has a perfect blend of story, violence, and humor done successfully. As for the content of 2k3 topically, well, I'd suggest the Mirage books over the 4kids series any day of the week. Why drink watered down beer when there's something fuller out there waiting for you to take a sip?
There is no definite show. Each show does something better than the other two, as well as some things worse than the other two.

Stop looking for "definitive" things.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #22
k_lala
Hench Mutant

This show was dark and violent how dark can u get for a morning show. It was the closest thing to the comic as you can get. That's why it's the definitive to me. If someone wanted to know about tmnt I point them to this series.
k_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #23
Pterobat
Hench Mutant

Ehhh...in a franchise this big, *nothing* is going to be the "definitive" take, not even the original Mirage comics. Nothing can, on its own, capture all the forms that TMNT has taken over the years.

That being said, the 4Kids series is my favourite of the TMNT cartoons, and I'm head-over-heels in love with its best parts.

Not all of it was good, of course. There was a lot of filler, some boring arcs (the one where the Turtles all get transported to different places, ugh) and after season four, well...yeah. Season five was a "normal" season to be sure, but it had a ton of problems and was overall unpleasant.

Yet that can't cancel out that a lot of it was damn good. I liked most of the characterization (from new and established characters), the atmosphere, the plotting, etc. I didn't mind The Shredder as an Utrom, or the attempts to bind together separate aspects of the Mirage universe.

Most of this worked like gangbusters, and I'd grab a DVD set anytime.

http://pterobat.tumblr.com
Pterobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #24
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_lala View Post
Do you guys agree this is the DEFINITIVE TMNT show. I know OT will always be the one that is referenced 100 or 50 years from now. But if any fan from the future wanted to know TMNT they should watch this show, not OT. They will not appreciate that show from the 80s, I feel like 2K3 is timeless, even 20 - 50 years in the future i bet.
Nope, not one bit. It is a good show and out of all the shows we've had so far, I think Nick is the (current) definitive show.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #25
tunecedemalis
Random Punk

Quote:
Do you guys agree this is the DEFINITIVE TMNT show. I know OT will always be the one that is referenced 100 or 50 years from now. But if any fan from the future wanted to know TMNT they should watch this show, not OT. They will not appreciate that show from the 80s, I feel like 2K3 is timeless, even 20 - 50 years in the future i bet.
Definitive? I'm not so sure. There have now been multiple versions of the Turtles all with their vocal supporters. This is a subjective topic to say the least. 2k3 happens to be my favorite version, far and above the rest. IMO it has already aged way better than the 87 show. For me personally it's my definitive version of TMNT.
tunecedemalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #26
k_lala
Hench Mutant

New subject or thought... Basically love and props to the show.

One of my favorite parts of the show was Leo's progression/transformation as a character. Probably one of the best or most underrated character developments ever in an animated show. I love how he failed each time and beat himself over it. I loved how angry he got, my fav is Ralph but Leo grew on me I cared. Even though it's a cartoon and I've watched it so many times the character development gets me each time. It makes me want to watch it again just so I can see his dark side and yell "I did everything I could" then walk off being alone.... So touching.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #27
Gabriel GP
Foot Soldier

Quote:
New subject or thought... Basically love and props to the show.

One of my favorite parts of the show was Leo's progression/transformation as a character. Probably one of the best or most underrated character developments ever in an animated show. I love how he failed each time and beat himself over it. I loved how angry he got, my fav is Ralph but Leo grew on me I cared. Even though it's a cartoon and I've watched it so many times the character development gets me each time. It makes me want to watch it again just so I can see his dark side and yell "I did everything I could" then walk off being alone.... So touching.
To balance this, they barely developed Raph and Don, and worst, regressed with Mikey. That was the only thing that REALLY pissed me off in this series. They could have changed the name from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle for Leonardo and friends.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #28
Shiro Kame
Foot Clan Mutant Renegade

Despite being the darkest show, the 2k12 series had the most "Nightmare Fuel".

Shiro Kame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #29
k_lala
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel GP View Post
To balance this, they barely developed Raph and Don, and worst, regressed with Mikey. That was the only thing that REALLY pissed me off in this series. They could have changed the name from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle for Leonardo and friends.
So maybe more solo shows that focused on them? I know they all had a couple of them. Even just two for team missions.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:47 AM   #30
k_lala
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiro Kame View Post
Despite being the darkest show, the 2k12 series had the most "Nightmare Fuel".
I don't even watch the Nick series anymore. I swear every episode was a person or plant getting oozed and them fighting it.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:54 AM   #31
Raph
Mad Scientist

Hi all, quick question about the 4Kids show

Does anyone remember the episode number and name in which Lord Noriyuki (the panda character from the Usagi universe) appeared?
And in which episode Tyler (the little boy) appeared?

Many thanks!!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #32
Warboss74
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph View Post
Hi all, quick question about the 4Kids show

Does anyone remember the episode number and name in which Lord Noriyuki (the panda character from the Usagi universe) appeared?
And in which episode Tyler (the little boy) appeared?

Many thanks!!
I can't remember the name of the episode with Lord Noriyuki, but it was the episode right after "Same As It Never Was". The one with Tyler is "Lone Raph and Cub" if I'm not mistaken.
Warboss74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #33
Raph
Mad Scientist

Thank you very much Warboss74! Much appreciated.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #34
tmntpower1988
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yes I agree. TMNT 2k3 is the definitive series for me too. I know 2k3 Mikey is full of himself at times but at least he's not Homer Simpson stupid like the Nick Mikey. I feel like the Nick show is a bit overrated, it's better than I expected but I don't care about the boring random mutants, the plot amnesia and the CGI is a turn off for me. I was face palming a few times when watching recent Nick episodes.
tmntpower1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #35
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
I don't even watch the Nick series anymore. I swear every episode was a person or plant getting oozed and them fighting it.
Then you're missing out. While you are right with what you said, but the show has evolved far beyond that now, particularly with season 2.
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #36
DVD
Mad Scientist

Watching this set of episodes again.
I watched some season 1s and season 2s, then watched season 3 all the way through. I moved into the BTTS show. That theme is brilliant.
I'm enjoying watching these again, after more or less just watching the original stuff exclusively (and the Nick episodes of course).
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #37
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Everyone has their preference of what is their definitive version of a series. With Batman, most would say the Animated Series but does that make it fact just because everyone says that?

TMNT 2k3 is my favorite version not only because it's based off the Mirage comics but a lot of the stories that aren't off of the comics are very well done. I also think the 2k3 show has some of the most creative characters I have ever seen in the franchise (Angel, Hun, Quarry, Razorfist, Stonebitter, Bishop, Touch & Go, etc.). I love the characterizations and how the turtles manage to bond and meet people outside the sewers. Some of my favorite Raphael episodes are "Raph & The Lone Cub" (don't remember the title) where he stops searching for Splinter to help a lost boy find his mother who has been kidnapped and "Touch & Go" (which was also a Mike episode) where he befriends an old blind lady whose losing her house due to financial problems and uses the money that Mike and Splinter found and gives it to her to help her troubles. I feel that while Leo probably got the most character development, all of the other turtles had plenty of episodes that focused on them and helped develop their characters as well. This show also has my favorite version of April because I love her big sister role in this show such as believing in Mikey to pursue his superhero dream.

For me, the OT is still a classic but it hasn't aged well in recent years and while I find the 2012 storylines to be well done, they just aren't as strong and captivating as this show's stories for me. And I certainly would not pick 2012 over the Mirage series or first film. But I really do love this series and it shows what 4Kids can really do when they try.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #38
tmntpower1988
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Everyone has their preference of what is their definitive version of a series. With Batman, most would say the Animated Series but does that make it fact just because everyone says that?

TMNT 2k3 is my favorite version not only because it's based off the Mirage comics but a lot of the stories that aren't off of the comics are very well done. I also think the 2k3 show has some of the most creative characters I have ever seen in the franchise (Angel, Hun, Quarry, Razorfist, Stonebitter, Bishop, Touch & Go, etc.). I love the characterizations and how the turtles manage to bond and meet people outside the sewers. Some of my favorite Raphael episodes are "Raph & The Lone Cub" (don't remember the title) where he stops searching for Splinter to help a lost boy find his mother who has been kidnapped and "Touch & Go" (which was also a Mike episode) where he befriends an old blind lady whose losing her house due to financial problems and uses the money that Mike and Splinter found and gives it to her to help her troubles. I feel that while Leo probably got the most character development, all of the other turtles had plenty of episodes that focused on them and helped develop their characters as well. This show also has my favorite version of April because I love her big sister role in this show such as believing in Mikey to pursue his superhero dream.

For me, the OT is still a classic but it hasn't aged well in recent years and while I find the 2012 storylines to be well done, they just aren't as strong and captivating as this show's stories for me. And I certainly would not pick 2012 over the Mirage series or first film. But I really do love this series and it shows what 4Kids can really do when they try.
Yeah 2k3 had the best stories. Nick has some good stories too but don't find them as interesting as 2k3's. The Nick series is getting repetitive tbh
tmntpower1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #39
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD View Post
I moved into the BTTS show. That theme is brilliant.
It really is. I'm torn between that and the first season's theme.

All the good stuff said about the 2K3 series in this thread (which are completely true) makes me even more baffled as to why it never got a proper DVD release.

Last edited by THGhost; 07-20-2014 at 05:28 PM.
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #40
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

It isn't just a lack of DVD release -- the 2k3 show doesn't get acknowledged hardly at all. It's really good, the fans love it, and yet Nick just kinda pretends it never happened.

What is up with that? It just feels so suspicious.