The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You can tell IDW wants to do more but Nick probably doesn't want too many humans being sliced or cut up in the series.
I'm positive that's the case but that doesn't change the fact. When ninjas collide... bruises aren't typically what result.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
ToTheNines
[sic]

I'd say Raph killed that guy before landing on the limo. And we know Splinter's not afraid to kill Foot Soldiers, so we'll see what goes down in #3 and 4.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #23
Powder
So tired of this place

I think this book is the best thing to come out of IDW yet. I wish this team of artist & writer did the main book (no offense to anyone else, whose talents are loved too!). Matteus is a genius with layouts and dynamics. After reading the first issue I was so inspired by his stuff I started working on my own TMNT comic.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #24
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Here's my review of Secret History of the Foot Clan #2 at TMNT Entity.

I love getting an inside look into the Shredder's past, especially if it delves into his childhood. The Mirage series pointed out that the Shredder was manipulated as a child by the Foot to become a killer, but the sympathetic angle was never explored any further than a couple sentences. Seeing the idea fleshed out here is really enthralling. Even after knowing the horrible things he'd end up doing (executing children), you still can't help but feel like it wasn't all his fault.

Even after all these years, Shredder's still a character that feels terribly unexplored. Mirage only featured him in 4 issues and never revisited his origin. The Fred Wolf cartoon and Archie comic scarcely gave us any back story beyond the fact that he was ambitious and seized control of the Foot for his own evil ends. The 4Kids cartoon did some crazy and fun stuff with Ch'Rell and everything, but he still never had any motivation beyond simply being evil for evil's sake.

Really, this is the most interesting the character of Oroku Saki has ever been. At least so far as his origins are concerned.

Though, man... April and Casey just walk into Foot HQ? And take the elevator? To the same floor where the Shredder's having a private meeting?

Well if it's THAT easy...

Last edited by DrSpengler; 01-23-2013 at 08:51 PM.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #25
Vegeta
Hench Mutant

I couldn't make it to the comic store today. Must find a way to read it. Agreed on shredder being incredibly unexplored. The guy has been in every turtles incarnation and yet we hardly know anything about the guy. Although this does add to how cool of a villan he is. A little mystery can be good in comics, characters in marvel and dc have been explored to the point where their characters hardly resemble themselves anymore. Can't wait to get my hands on this.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #26
ToTheNines
[sic]

Another cool thing, I liked how Shredder was so respectful to Dr. Miller. Even called him Miller-Sensei.

As a (novice) archer, one little irk I had was Karai using the wrong eye to aim her bow lol. Overall her form was pretty good though. I literally laugh every time Chris Jones tries to draw Artemis drawing back in Young Justice.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #27
Erik Burnham
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Though, man... April and Casey just walk into Foot HQ? And take the elevator? To the same floor where the Shredder's having a private meeting?

Well if it's THAT easy...
I figure there are some good, solid No-Prize-worthy explanations for this. (: (We're juggling a dozen named characters in the modern day, so sometimes... we just went with the easy route. LOL)

As to someone actually getting HURT... it's still minor stuff, but we got something into issue #3. It leads to one of the few visuals I asked for, near the end of the comic (heck, I think page 21) - it's a quiet thing, but I think it looks cool.

Again, I thank Bobby and Mateus for inviting me along. I worked hard to hit the standards they set. (:

www.burnhamania.com
www.facebook.com/erikburnhamfanpage
www.twitter.com/erikburnham
Erik Burnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I really should say that I'm happy that at this juncture it's really looking like Oroku Saki is going to be allowed to be Oroku Saki in IDW TMNT, and not some kind of alien or mutant or otherwise.

Good storytelling in these two issues so far... I just wish Nick/Viacom would butt out when it comes time for "ninja action" to actually happen. Neutering this kind of stuff in the one medium where it would seem to be completely appropriate -- where it's always been appropriate -- isn't exactly reinforcing a lot of the good faith a lot of us in the fandom felt after the sale.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #29
ToTheNines
[sic]

Another good review from IGN: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...-clan-2-review
Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Good storytelling in these two issues so far... I just wish Nick/Viacom would butt out when it comes time for "ninja action" to actually happen. Neutering this kind of stuff in the one medium where it would seem to be completely appropriate -- where it's always been appropriate -- isn't exactly reinforcing a lot of the good faith a lot of us in the fandom felt after the sale.
Perhaps when the animated Nick comicbook adaption of the cartoon comes out, Viacom will be less strict about the level of violence in this one.

You have to remember that while right now this is the only TMNT comic Nick has, once they actually have the animated cartoon comic going Nick will have the one they want to market to kids, and they'll probably let this one do what it wants within reason.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Perhaps when the animated Nick comicbook adaption of the cartoon comes out, Viacom will be less strict about the level of violence in this one.

You have to remember that while right now this is the only TMNT comic Nick has, once they actually have the animated cartoon comic going Nick will have the one they want to market to kids, and they'll probably let this one do what it wants within reason.
I would be very surprised if the Nickelodeon cartoon adaptation changed the way anything is done in the main IDW book.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #32
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:

I hope so, not sure though. I think they will go on living in the fear these books could fall in the hands of a child and so they don't want him to see too much blood and decapitated heads.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I hope so, not sure though. I think they will go on living in the fear these books could fall in the hands of a child and so they don't want him to see too much blood and decapitated heads.
This is why the Mirage collections suddenly have 13 and up warnings when the ones before the cartoon started didn't. The insides also say the comics are for adults.

They are scared.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #34
ToTheNines
[sic]

I think you guys got it wrong. All of the issues from the ongoing and what not say "intended for mature readers" above the barcodes, and we've seen some pretty brutal kills in them. Hamato Yoshi had some good ones in #5, Splinter gutted at least one ninja in #11, Leo beheaded Shub in Infestation, Hob was shot in the chest in #12, Slash stabbed in #16, and a couple of other things. Not to mention some cursing.

The turtles don't kill (right now) because Tom doesn't want them to. I'm sure they, or at least some of them, will take a life eventually, but it's being saved to have a bigger impact. I know it feels weird to read a Turtles comic where they're standing there with lethal weapons in their hands but have serious reservations about properly using them, but the Splinter Micro pretty much laid it all out perfectly. Personally, I took Splinter's inner-monologue from that and #11 as meaning that Shredder and all Foot Ninjas were fair game to kill, but we'll see.

I know it's easy to point at the big corporation and say it's their fault (like many of us erroneously did when the multi-colored headbands came in to play), but as far as I can tell, Nickelodeon has helped this book and hasn't held them back from much.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 01-24-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I think you guys got it wrong. All of the issues from the ongoing and what not say "intended for mature readers" above the barcodes, and we've seen some pretty brutal kills in them. Hamato Yoshi had some good ones in #5, Splinter gutted at least one ninja in #11, Hob was shot in the chest in #12, Slash stabbed in #16, and a couple of other things. Not to mention some cursing.

The turtles don't kill (right now) because Tom doesn't want them to. I'm sure they, or at least some of them, will take a life eventually, but it's being saved to have a bigger impact. I know it feels weird to read a Turtles comic where they're standing there with lethal weapons in their hands but have serious reservations about properly using them, but the Splinter Micro pretty much laid it all out perfectly. Personally, I took Splinter's inner-monologue from that and #11 as meaning that Shredder and all Foot Ninjas were fair game to kill, but we'll see.

I know it's easy to point at the big corporation and say it's their fault (like many of us erroneously did when the multi-colored headbands came in to play), but as far as I can tell, Nickelodeon has helped this book and hasn't held them back from much.
Nickelodeon has held them back a great deal. Word is they even tried to censor the Tales of the TMNT trade too.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #36
ToTheNines
[sic]

In their defense on that one, Mirage stuck in the Arabic translation of "Face Mecca and fu** a butthole".
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #37
Vegeta
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Just got done reading! Loved it!

This one probably wasn't as fulfilling as #1 was as far as reveals go, but everything's gonna get unloaded in #4 anyways so it's no big.

Spoiler:
However, Saki being the reincarnation of Tatsuo was big, and unexpected. I guess that means Kitsune actually is a witch and not just a "change at will" mutant. Unless she and her Utrom buddy somehow did that through science(fiction). I'm assuming she is also Alopex, one way or another. Can't wait to see what the whole story is behind that.

Either way, we get treated to the most awesome ninja vs. ninja action IDW has delivered yet! I could go on and on about the last page alone, loved the fish-eye effect. Second favorite page was the gang climbing that building.

There were so many cool little moments. Karai giving orders in Japanese, Don getting made fun of for his screen name from his Micro, Splinter actually tagged along, April and Casey's flirting came off as natural and not forced, Shredder flipping the eff out on Karai (God damn I hope she betrays him), more references to the Splinter Micro, Saki going after Tang Shen.

It's a damn good thing the cartoon is coming back this weekend, because the two week wait between #1 and #2 was killer... now we'll actually have to wait the standard month!
Couldn't agree with you more about Karai. I hope Karai end's up killing Shredder and befriending the Turtles or at least on pizza date terms with them in the future. Seeing him hit Karai like that actually bothered me. This means IDW is doing their job, their villans are wicked. Great art as usual with this guy. Not many posts about this comic, go buy it folks.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #38
909 Turtle Fan
Hench Mutant

sweet issue. that last page is pretty effin rad.

"Breath in the smoke, Oroku Saki, and meditate. Open your mind and all will become clear."-Kitsune, SHotFC #3

"You know what, you're not Leonardo, you're a member of the foot clan. you are a foot clan member! you're not just a member, you're Danny! you're that punk b*tch Danny!"
-Adam, workaholics, teenage mutant ninja roommates
909 Turtle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #39
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
Couldn't agree with you more about Karai. I hope Karai end's up killing Shredder and befriending the Turtles or at least on pizza date terms with them in the future. Seeing him hit Karai like that actually bothered me. This means IDW is doing their job, their villans are wicked. Great art as usual with this guy. Not many posts about this comic, go buy it folks.
I don't see them being allies, Karai is pretty damn ruthless. We've already seen her try to kill Splinter, poke a politician with an arrow, blow up a bank, and request to kill Dr. Miller in cold blood for finding out too much about the clan.

Still a cool character, I just hate seeing her as an underling. It looks like they're setting her up for some cool stuff though.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #40
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

To me, she really only works as an underling to Saki in timelines where they are contemporaries unless she is deciding to go up against him, like she ultimately did in the 4Kids series.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion, mini-series