The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Ratings for cartoons on Nick, Cartoon Network, Disney XD all downhill since 2010

Looking at this chart it's pretty obvious why current cartoons are in the state they are. The fact is just since 2010, kids networks have literally lost more than half their viewership. Between online streaming, youtube, or ipad/iphone games, kids of today just don't watch cartoons the way they used to.

As I said before, 2000-2009 seemed like the last great decade for cartoons simply because online streaming wasn't as widespread that decade as it is now, in fact it didn't start till 2008 or so. Since 2010 everything has gone down.

And you guys wonder why all cartoons on CN are comedy/parody shows now, or why Nick is rebooting TMNT with Rise immediately after the previous show ended with a more comedic approach.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #2
newfan
Mad Scientist

Given the various conversations on here of low ratings etc and ratings not meaning anything now (as commented by yourself previosuly) can we clarify here, do or don't they count anymore? and are they still only being measured by live TV viewings?
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

That doesn't just apply to cartoons. It's TV in general.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #4
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Ratings matter in the sense that the advertising model is still in transition from old media to new media and companies are not happy in trading Physical Dollars for Digital Pennies with their earnings. No subsidizing the cost with toylines isn't helping.

My attention span is definitely shorter than it was before and I'm guessing most kids are even worse off. What sucks is the "entertainment" this replacing it is random youtubers and websites with similar quality. It's cool that instead of a general program anyone can find entertainment in their small niche. The problem is even the "high quality" youtubers and website videos still feel like really old/cheap when compared to traditional media because they are a giant company with tons of people working on the video, you have a few dozen at most in most "high end" productions.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Hmm... I wonder if the sharp dip on Nick's ratings can be traced to the point when they decided to move TMNT into the less favorable Sunday morning timeslot?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

I had no idea Nick in general had so much higher ratings than Cartoon Network. I mean CN has been on the decline for years with their Teen Titans Go marathons, it really cost them.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Man, CN used to be THE cartoon network(hahaha, did you see what I did here?>) to watch back in the 90s. Nickelodeon already existed back then as well but I dunno if it was more popular than CN or not. I had CN on cable, but not Nick. Nick was only available on certain satellite providers here iirc.

Disney Channel has existed since the 80s it seems but didn't come here until 2000-2001 or so. Perhaps it didn't expand overseas until this century?

Oh well, these days it's much easier to watch stuff online or to download stuff the day after its debut. It's quite impressive how things have changed throughout the times. Even if only compared to 2007 or so. We humans think things never seem to change until we realise it's already too late.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #8
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Disney Channel has existed since the 80s it seems but didn't come here until 2000-2001 or so. Perhaps it didn't expand overseas until this century?
I Googled, to find out that Disney Channel hit Sweden in February 2003. Also, different series can air at different channels in different countries. For example, the 2003–2009 TMNT series originally aired in Sweden over Cartoon Network Sweden while in the USA, it aired over Foxkids (later 4 Kids).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #9
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Nickelodeon has always been bigger than Cartoon Network
Old 05-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Has Nick had any big hits since Spongebob, or to a lesser extent Avatar?
Old 05-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Has Nick had any big hits since Spongebob, or to a lesser extent Avatar?
Was the 2k12 TMNT a "big hit"?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:42 PM   #12
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I don't know about Disney XD. but Nick and Cartoon Network has gone downhill since having cartoons similar to Teen Titans Go. Meanwhile Disney XD has some really good cartoons.

I only been watching Nick for TMNT. Nothing else really. There hasn't been anything good on Cartoon Network since Justice League.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #13
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I don't watch TV or Children's shows so I have no idea. I know Nick and Disney had many popular live action kids shows in the 00s not sure what either has done in the 2010s.

I don't think there's enough adults who really watch the channels and know the content. I know many adults complain online all the time but are they really watching kids shows? And if they are can they view them without bias?

I love 90s Nick live action shows but it's only the nostalgia that keeps them entertaining to me. iCarly looked like a show I would've loved if I had been a kid to enjoy that type of humor but since there's no nostalgia, it just wasn't something I was interested in.

I'm sure there's adults who can watch the channels and enjoy the shows, I'm not trying to belittle any likes. You like what you like and if you can enjoy them awesome and if you can judge them without bias then awesome. I just think most adults just knock kids stuff that isn't meant for them and they feel entitled when kids might be loving these shows.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:39 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Nickelodeon has always been bigger than Cartoon Network
Had no clue tbh. Then again, CN was bigger/more easily available where I live. So that has skewed my perception.

I've always seen Cartoon Network as THE cartoon channel, personally.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:12 PM   #15
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Just put em on Netflix, problem solved. No one cares about tv nowadays.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:13 AM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

Gen-Z kids have killed television.

Us millennials were the last gen to watch shows on TV.